1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Trio Join Cheltenham On Loan

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by BCFCRob, Aug 30, 2017.

1. BCFCRob

BCFCRob Well-Known Member

Joe Morrell, Freddie Hinds and Taylor Moore all off to Cheltenham until January 1st...

Sensible move for Morrell and Hinds imo, a decent standard of football compared to what they've had before and a positive step for their development.

Baffled by Taylor Moore going there though. Ex-England U19 captain, played 9 times for Lens including 4 appearances in the French top flight, on loan at L1 Bury last season, and now he's off to play for Cheltenham in the basement? What a step backwards. I'm sorry but I sincerely hope we're not ruining possibly our best youth prospect at the club...

2. Redprintt

Redprintt Well-Known Member

I believe, particularly Hinds and Moore, would benefit much more with experience in a league higher than basement L2.

So when Johnson mean kids for the future - read help for my Dad.
    It's much better helping him than what's best for our young players.
    Lansdown is now bankrolling both Johnsons.

Lansdown is building more and more angst among City fans, when it goes off, it won't be pretty.

3. BCFCRob

BCFCRob Well-Known Member

If LJ has touted these players around and not found a suitable club for them above Cheltenham's level, then fair enough. It's a decent club which is also local.

If the above has not happened and he's just sent them there because of his dad, then that's unacceptable.

AshtonRed and manxrobin like this.
  4. Loathsneyd

Loathsneyd Well-Known Member

Its anything to beat the club with isn't it? I think having a feeder league club on our doorstep that we can send loan players to for development is a very good resource.

5. invermeremike

invermeremike Well-Known Member

It's all starting to sound like Preston when Fergie's son was the manager and when he was sacked it all fell apart in a bad way. These moves were so predictable and, as you say, we now seem to be in love with 2 Johnsons for the price of one but then again these youngsters do need playing time.

6. NickH

NickH Well-Known Member

I'd be inclined to agree with this, though must admit that I'd sooner they were being tested in League One, rather than Two - these players ought to be knocking on the door of 1st team football before too long, and I'm concerned they'll just get released down the line.

I suppose the fact that they are all there together is a good thing, as they can support on another and develop playing in the same team, and whilst some are demeaning the Johnson connection, it probably results in them getting increased attention and City having a bit more say as to their treatment & development.

7. NickH

NickH Well-Known Member

Mike, this is seriously not a dig, but I'm not understanding the Sir Alex/Darren Ferguson comparison - I think things went a bit sour for Darren at Preston, but was at Peterborough for what was possibly their most successful period in recent times. Also, if there's a comparison with us, surely we're the Man Utd in the situation!

...Again, not having a go, just interested in the point you were making.

8. invermeremike

I was given the info many years ago from a Preston supporter in the Canary Islands who was seriously ticked off that the mighty Sir Alex took all his loan players back when his son was fired. Nepotism has it's place but probably not in the footballing world especially as we witnessed it first hand when Lee was a player at City. I was trying to make the point that if either Gary or Lee leave their position under less than gentlemanly conditions then the loan situation could quickly turn sour. We all knew that some of our lesser younger lights might end up at Whaddon Rd but I wonder in reality how secure the Johnson's/Lansdown alliance would stand up to the tests of poor performances?

9. NickH

NickH Well-Known Member

I see - well, I don't know if there'd be much in the way of repercussions. If Gary left Cheltenham and we took our players back, I couldn't give much of a toss if their fans were pissed off as a result!

10. invermeremike

That's why your a die hard City fan Nick and rightfully so I guess. The other side of the coin are the Cheltenham supporters who, although our near neighbours, don't register on the support scale when you live close to Ashton Gate - right!

11. RedorDead

RedorDead Well-Known Member

Got to admit, I'm actually partly in agreement with Redprint.
    I don't like this sending players on loan to Cheltenham all the time. I know they are local but would be interested to know how many we sent to Cheltenham prior GJ.
    I'm for sending them to local clubs but it used to be Yeovil which seems to be a lot less now. It does seem to be all about GJ.
    I would of liked Hinds especially to gone to a league one at least.

12. Loathsneyd

Maybe nobody else wanted them especially as we just sent Di Girolemo to Chesterfield so proving we don't send all our loans To Cheltenham :emoticon-0105-wink:

13. Redprintt

Lansdown's relationship with the Johnsons gets more suspicious by the day.

Ps re Di Girolemo.
    The exception that proves the rule.

14. RedorDead

RedorDead Well-Known Member

Wonder if GJ could not fit Di Girolemo into his limit for free transfers ;)

15. Loathsneyd

Yeah its all a Lansdown/Johnson conspiracy, neither the players or their agents had any say in the matter <doh>

Last edited: Aug 30, 2017
  16. Loathsneyd

17. Redprintt

It used to be Yeovil and now it's Cheltenham.
    Players agents or Gary Johnson ?
    Lansdown's storing up trouble, big time.

18. Loathsneyd

How?

19. Supcon72

Supcon72 Well-Known Member

Disappointed to see Hinds go. I was hoping he may get same game time from the bench with Durjic still out. I'm less interested that it's GJ and more bothered by the level, surely Plymouth would have looked at Moore and Hinds

20. johngalleyfan2

johngalleyfan2 Well-Known Member

I have noted some of them out on loan don't play a lot?