1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Travel to the Valley

Discussion in 'Charlton' started by terryb, Aug 1, 2015.

1. terryb

terryb Well-Known Member

Hello to all of you.

I have not been to The Valley since January 1970 & I'm after some advice on the best way to travel to The valley by train from the east.

I'm thinking of DLR from Stratford to Greenwich & then on to Charlton, or is it better to just go to London Bridge?

Also please, if you would, best pub selling good cask ales that away supporters can use pre match.

Cheers

Edit. Sorry, Can't believe I forgot to put the word pkease in to my request!

Last edited: Aug 1, 2015
  2. ForestHillBilly

ForestHillBilly Well-Known Member

Hi, Terry. I'd guess you'd be better using DLR, but Journey Planner is good at giving the quickest route. The Prince of Denmark is quite near the station, about a quarter of a mile walk towards Greenwich on the main road. Don't you fancy watching Wham , then?

3. terryb

terryb Well-Known Member

Thanks ForestHill.

Watch Wham? I had the misfortune of watching them once last season in a dire 0-0!

Travelling from the east is from Ipswich (will see them twice this season & moved up there in '74). Didn't change my team when I moved & after family grew up I managed to start watching Rangers again.

Is Prince of Denmark an away fan's pub?

BTW, I was pleasently surprised at paying £26 for my ticket next wek. I'm sure you will have to pay more at the Bush.

I would love to see all clubs in their division charge the same prices.

4. deleted.....

deleted..... Well-Known Member

Is you coming from east london then Terry?

5. deleted.....

The Prince is mixed prior to game and home only after <ok>

6. deleted.....

The Antigallican is the away pub at Charlton and is only a short walk from the Valley, it's OK (better yellow beer than brown I gather) and never any trouble.

How important is the beer?

7. CAFCAlex

CAFCAlex Member

Has the Rose of Denmark had a name change then?

8. deleted.....

Good point Alex, that's what comes of trusting a Scotsman <laugh> I normally use the Oak

9. terryb

terryb Well-Known Member

Well, I do love a good pint of bitter! The beer is more important than being in a pub full of Rangers fans singing their hearts out & then being very quiet at the ground!

In my '60's so I would prefer to avoid being rammed in & not having room to move! Two seasons ago I had a good chat with some Charlton fans in the Crown & Sceptre in Shepherds Bush.

Have just read on a Rangers board either the Rose of Denmark or the Pickwick. Any other sugestions would be appreciated.

Cheers

10. CAFCAlex

CAFCAlex Member

I'd say Rose of Denmark is your best bet Terry. Antigallican will be full of QPR fans singing and like AllHell says - its more lager than beer in there. Friendly atmosphere at the RoD as well, i've often chatted to away fans there.

11. terryb

terryb Well-Known Member

Thanks Alex.

RoD i think it will be then.

12. deleted.....

Terry, with regard to using the DLR to North Greenwich, well it is quite a long walk and the roads are busy trading estate type roads.... I wouldn't... just go to London Bridge and get the mainline train to Charlton <ok>

Boris J pretends he interested in all of London but when it comes to public transport SE London gets 'pod all' investment.

13. ForestHillBilly

You can get the mainline train from Greenwich to Charlton. I usually do it after the game,train to Greenwich, DLR to Lewisham, train to Orpington. Mind you, when you've got a freedom pass you don't have to worry about the cost.
    R.o.D was taken over by Udders fans when we played them, all very good natured.
    Boris is All Things to All Men. And then there's the ladies.............................................................................................................

14. terryb

terryb Well-Known Member

Thanks to you all.

Obviously, I can't wish you well for next Saturday, but hope you have a reasonable season.

I have no idea what to expect from my team. I'm just hoping for a nice quiet year in mid table where it means little if you lose a match!

It's been many a year since we had one of those!

15. dick plumb

dick plumb Well-Known Member

Can you loan us Charlie Austin? He is going to make mincemeat of our defence.

16. Bitter & Malicious

Bitter & Malicious Well-Known Member

I assumed he would be long gone before this fixture. What the hell are they playing about at? Dashed unsporting, I call it.

17. deleted.....

It's almost as if they don't want to sell him <grr>

18. terryb

terryb Well-Known Member

Thanks to you all for your help. I thought you may be interested in what I have just posted on QPR Report (my main board, although I do use not606). My comments are completely from a Rangers perspective & so I wouldn't expect any of you to agree with them!

Using London Bridge was easy & good for my health as we walked between there & Liverpool Street on both journey's.

Good luck for the season & if my any miracle, any of you know the lady I refer to below please pass on my thanks (again!)

What a day!

A few problems with Grotty (Greater Anglia Railways) led to having a drink at London Bridge rather than having time to visit The Rose of Denmark. Then the day got worse!

We arrived at the ground around 2.30 only for Iain to discover that he had lost his match ticket on route! After a while of being sent from one ticket office to another we were in our seats around 3.10.

Here, a big thank you must go to Charlton Athletic for how they dealt with the situation. In particular, the lady who is in charges of the turnstyle operators at the away section. In the end she ordered that Iain should be allowed admittance as she took pity on a senior citizen who still needed to take control of a man in his thirties!

Then to the match. I've been told that for the first ten minutes we were in control & looking comfortable. For the rest of that half we were still the better side but at no pont did we look as if we could score. The second half was a different matter.

Charlton deserved their win in the end, but it might have been different if we had built up attacks at a higher tempo. Whether this was due to a lack of movement ahead of the ball or that we felt we needed extra touches of the ball I will leave to others to address. Also, Green being beaten (again & again & again) at his near post cost us dear. The match was over directly they scored.

Man of The Match? Without doubt the lady employee of Charlton!

Read more: http://qprreport.proboards.com/thread/41657/charlton#ixzz3iFs6cjl9

19. ForestHillBilly

Only one shot, and that went for a throw-in.

20. Bitter & Malicious

Bitter & Malicious Well-Known Member

Terryb, you seem a very amiable gentleman and are welcome to post in the Charlton section any time.

As for myself, I am sickened and humiliated that Charlton are below the Franchise and Karl Robinson in the table. We were several places above him when Sir Chris was in charge. Luzon out!