1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Transfers + Wages

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by Moorpheus19, May 24, 2013.

1. Moorpheus19

Moorpheus19 Well-Known Member

Thought this deserved it's own thread as it's not really related to Spurs' Summer Transfer Activity.

I wonder what people would think about a new transfer system - where a club doesn't wholly decide what a player is worth. I'm bored of the system where agents skew a player's price and of the clubs who just wade in and splurge millions extra on a player than other clubs could.

An independent panel decides what a player is worth and then his value can be adjusted based on performance (positively and negatively), discipline etc.

Then when the value is decided, that's what a club has to bid to enter into negotiations. Obviously the player still has to sign the contracts etc. but it removes haggling over price. In this idea, the club can also increase the price by a set % further based on the player's importance to the team (e.g. Bale could have the max % applied).

So, let's just say the panel decides that Bale's base value is £45m - then added to this is £10m (for example) due to his season performance and then another £5m due to the player's importance. Totals £60m and that's what a club would have to bid to enter negotiations with the player (and not the club).

It would make the transfer market more even as player prices wouldn't get skewed by agents and all clubs would be aware of a player's exact price without having to listen to bile from the media.

It can be taken further with wages - clubs are ranked based on how big their squad is, how much money they generate over a season etc. Then this ranking equates to a base rate of wages, which can then be augmented by scoring goals/keeping clean sheets etc.

E.g. Chelsea are a rank A club so their flat rate is up to £100k a week (no more). Then, if Hazard is on this contract he might get 5% extra in a week if he scores etc.

Again, an attempt to stop clubs committing funds they don't have and becoming Portsmouth and also to stop the super rich clubs of the world going 'oh well we'll pay you £250k a week if you come to us' etc.

Just trying to even the system out a bit more - allows the smaller clubs a little more ability to compete for the better players in the market whilst becoming a bit more financially secure.

Thoughts?

2. deedub93

deedub93 Well-Known Member

Jesus, you been on the mushrooms moorph or has my brain swiched off for the bank holiday weekend? or am I too old and just gone senile?

3. Moorpheus19

Moorpheus19 Well-Known Member

It has been a long week... <whistle>

4. Spurf

Spurf Thread Mover
    Forum Moderator

After all of that effort I am reluctant to diss it with the EU wont let it happen, but I fear it is the case. The market rules and at the moment we can't get away from that.

Interesting idea though.<ok>

5. notsosmartspur

notsosmartspur Well-Known Member

Too late for all that now...as is my post! :(

6. Roo

Roo Well-Known Member

Amazing idea moorph and a great thread!

Would we really want an independent panel though? Would they really be "independent". You've only got to look at FIFA and the FA..... <yikes>
    It's asking for corruption.

Still, it'd be funny to see some of the true values of players. - Titus bramble fetching a whopping £2.99 <laugh>

7. NSIS

NSIS Well-Known Member

That's a BOGOF this week, too!...;)

8. lennypops

lennypops Well-Known Member

I am just imagining the popularity and efficiency of the organisation that is set up to do this...I put it somewhere between a political party dedicated exclusively to facist paedophilia, and the FA. I would imagine it would take about a week before someone was taken to court.

I think that this is one of the rare aspects of life that is best run by the market. Perceived values of footballers are so intangible and so reliant on little things and, of course, so unimportant in the great scheme of things. Unlike, say, food and fuel.

Robbie Keane WAS worth 20-odd million to us when we sold him but wasn't worth 10m to Liverpool from the day he signed. For all Bent's faults he really MIGHT have been worth 16m to a team that did not have Keane, Berba and Defoe and played in our style. Etc etc.

9. Master Yoda

Master Yoda Well-Known Member

The EU would only allow such a strict system to restrict the free movement of workers (art 45 tfeu onwards) if it was justified by public interest ie good sporting competition... would really have to work to be allowed, basically.