1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Transfers / rumours / goss Summer 2018

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by Walsh.i.am, Apr 20, 2018.

1. Carbrooke Canary

Carbrooke Canary Active Member

Hope Leicester don't end his career like Darren Eadie

2. goldeneadie

goldeneadie Well-Known Member

Just seen a rumour that Leitner has virtually agreed a deal to return, possibly permanently, but SW has reservations about his fitness. Anyone heard this?

RiverEndRick likes this.
  3. RiverEndRick

RiverEndRick Well-Known Member

I'd like him back. He has a skill set similar to Madders but can also play as a deep playmaker. Exactly what we need IMO. Hope it happens.

4. General Melchett

General Melchett Well-Known Member

With him there are flashes of quality, but our record with him in the side is dire, I think I can see the reasons why he's dropping down the football pyramid and I'm not that fussed on having him back. Lots of potential, but if he was able to realise it, I think he would not be coming to us. Hope to be proved wrong, but if its for more than £1m it starts getting a big gamble on a limited budget.

Bah!

5. ThaiCanary

ThaiCanary Well-Known Member

With any luck he will get regular first team action with Leicester and take his chance; getting selected for the England team for the next European Championship and World Cup. After watching last night, the national team needs someone who can take a direct free-kick and get it on target.

JM Fan, woodbine and DHCanary like this.
  6. DHCanary

DHCanary Very Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Leitner has recently posted on instagram pictures of him practising free kicks in last season's NCFC kit, and the fact he's in England.

Supposedly Leitner, his agent, and Farke all want the move. A contract is agreed but Webber is holding off for now due to injury concerns from last season. I guess you want to make sure that if you're making a significant outlay on one player, there's no immediate reason why he shouldn't be able to play a significant portion of the season.

JM Fan likes this.
  7. RiverEndRick

I expect this one to happen. It may be that SW is being cautious until an official medical takes place and the fee is agreed. Leitner's contributions were limited by Madders up the pitch. With him gone, Leitner should be able play a bigger role, including taking free-kicks and corners.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
    JM Fan likes this.
  8. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

9. canary-dave

canary-dave Well-Known Member

Bit harsh on him after the service he provided them with last season.

10. Canary Spring

Canary Spring Well-Known Member

Rui Patricio is Portugal's number 1, and another from Jorge Mendes' Gestifute stable. JR had better prepare for a lot of time on the bench.

JM Fan likes this.

11. DHCanary

Forum Moderator

You just know Mendes has taken an obscene cut for engineering that move. Weren't Liverpool interested in Patricio?

12. RiverEndRick

The same could happen with Ryan Bennett apparently:

https://www.footballfancast.com/pre...er-pontus-jansson-after-latest-sweden-display

On another note, Paddy Davitt is convinced that Godfrey will not be leaving:

"All-action midfielder Godfrey was touted with top flight Crystal Palace and relegated duo West Brom and Swansea City during recent days, but there have been no bids for the 20-year-old. City’s top brass have no interest in cashing in on the highly-rated Godfrey, who returned to his parent club after an impressive season-long loan stint at League One play-off finalists Shrewsbury Town.

Maddison’s pending departure was inevitable, with the Canaries now operating without Premier League parachute payments moving forward, while Murphy’s move to Wales was deemed another astute piece of business. But Godfrey is set for a leading role at Carrow Road under Daniel Farke’s guidance, despite fresh speculation around his future."

Full article here:

http://www.edp24.co.uk/sport/norwich-city/canaries-godfrey-transfer-interest-latest-1-5568762

JM Fan likes this.
  13. Hairy Mary Quite Canary

Hairy Mary Quite Canary Well-Known Member

Exactly, with our structure we're looking for a Madders-like sale every season. Could Godfrey, McLean or even Cantwell be next June's hot property? We shall see I guess.

JM Fan likes this.
  14. RiverEndRick

That's true enough, but next year the high wage players will have left which will take some pressure off. It's really a situation of having to live within our means like other Championship clubs. It's also the purpose of having an Academy to bring on young talent as in the Southampton model.

JM Fan likes this.
  15. carrowcanario

carrowcanario Well-Known Member

Probably Jamel Lewis unfortunately.

16. RiverEndRick

Even PL teams have the same situation when players catch the attention of bigger clubs. It's the nature of the game really. The players Wolves are recruiting now to replace Ruddy and Bennett will be snatched by bigger clubs if they succeed.

On the other hand, it seems we still have more clout than some Championship teams:

"Alan Nixon is reporting that Norwich should complete the signing of Marshall for a transfer fee of £1.5m and with good wages. This financial packet appears to have blown Millwall out of the water in the race to sign the impressive winger."

Full article here:

footballleagueworld.co.uk/norwich-city-close-in-on-premier-league-winger-as-part-of-squad-rebuilding-project/

Nixon's actual tweet suggests that there could be two more British players coming as well:

Norwich and Marshall should happen at £1.5m fee plus good wages. One of three live and British ones for Canaries.”

Could the others be Jordan Jones and Freddie Woodman?

Last edited: Jun 20, 2018
    DHCanary and JM Fan like this.
  17. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

My thoughts exactly Dave!!!

canary-dave and RiverEndRick like this.
  18. General Melchett

General Melchett Well-Known Member

Only a tiny bit. He will continue to get hansomely paid, if he steps his game up then he could in theory retain his place. But the reality is his replacement will in all probability be significantly better and it might be a very astute bit of business by Wolves. Ruddy may have been better for them than he was for us for the last 2-3 seasons at CR, but he is still not a top end PL keeper any more (If ever?)
    This is footballand his level is probably top end Champ, low end PL at best.
    Bah!

JM Fan likes this.
  19. DHCanary

Forum Moderator

If we sell any of those for £20m next summer I'd be very happy! At least then that money will be used for improving the squad, not paying Naismith.

JM Fan and canary-dave like this.
  20. RiverEndRick

There's also Lewis and Buendia as possibles next year, but I doubt there will be another £20m+ deal. As the financial pressure eases though, we will be more in command of our own destiny within the pecking order.

JM Fan likes this.