1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Transfer watch....

Discussion in 'Ipswich Town' started by WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM, Jan 1, 2018.

1. WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM

WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM Well-Known Member

.....don’t bother it will be dull and full of pretend interest and downright bullshit.

2. fieldmarshall

fieldmarshall Well-Known Member

That's right weighty there will be players " we had offers in for, " " almost signed " and " the deal fell through at the last minute " but the nett result will be the same as ever, what do they take us for?

Nuggets and Southcoastoldgaffer like this.
  3. stretchyboy

stretchyboy Well-Known Member

Our problem is, we have quite a large squad now, but unfortunately also a large lot of them injured. We won't buy anyone, and I agree to an extent. Now we have Moore back and the young irish lad, we're ok for striker. We need cover for CM and CH. Someone mentioned Caulker being available. Would be a cracking loan IF fit and won't take long to get match fit (Big if)

Nuggets likes this.
  4. Nuggets

Nuggets Well-Known Member

Interesting point about having a rather large squad, considering the amount of deadwood we released last summer. I recall that the consensus on this forum at the start of the season was that the squad was smaller, but better for it. However, six months is a long time in football, and I feel you could shed this squad of several more average / poor players like Dominic Iorfa, Luke Hyam, Freddie Sears, Kevin Bru, and Danny Rowe. Potentially by the summer, players such as Tommy Smith, Tom Adeyemi, Kieffer Moore, Josh Emmanuel, Cole Skuse, Luke Chambers, David McGoldrick, and Teddy Bishop may be viewed as expendable, due to age, ability, and / or lack of fitness.

I have no confidence that any money raised by sales this month will be reinvested in the squad. If we sell Bart, a new goalkeeper should be a priority. We also need a centre back and ideally a right-back, if only to replace Iorfa. Unfortunately Emmanuel's problems breaking into the Rotherham first team underlines a potential lack of quality from him at a Championship level. I'd caution against bringing into central midfielders on a permanent basis, considering the amount of options we have there, but I think a loan or two would be wise to help with the current injury crisis. We need more wingers, considering Ward has been in poor form and often used in the middle, Sears is devoid of both form and confidence, Celina is back to Manchester City at the end of the season, and Rowe just cannot break into the first team. The strikeforce is well stocked, particularly with the young Irish lad Aaron Drinan coming into the team.

itfcptc and Southcoastoldgaffer like this.
  5. Scowey

Scowey Well-Known Member

Mick has already stated that a new Keeper is in his thoughts whilst Gerken is injured. I'd be surprised if Bart left but we're on the hunt for a new glovesman anyway so I expect to see someone come in regardless.

Another comment Mick made some time ago has stuck with me, that he doesn't like signing players too early and having to pay them for a few more weeks (Pre season etc.) so I would expect any free signings (Danny Guthrie, Lewin Nyatanga, Ross Turnbull etc.) to be signed after the FA Cup game and probably be unfit/injured for most of January anyway

6. Nuggets

Apparently we're holding out for more than £4m for Bart. I have a horrible feeling this will be the window Bart finally departs.

johnnywarksmoustache likes this.
  7. johnnywarksmoustache

johnnywarksmoustache Well-Known Member

....And you can rest assured that all of that money will disappear into Evans' back pocket never to be seen again! <ok>

8. Nuggets

It's sad, isn't it? I'd say £5m plus Wayne Hennessey or Julian Speroni (who have six months left on their contracts) would be a fair deal. Of course, the sale would be pointless if that money was not going to be reinvested in the team, particularly the defence.

fieldmarshall and itfcptc like this.
  9. stretchyboy

stretchyboy Well-Known Member

I see both McAuley and Delaney are both out of contract soon ;-)

10. johnnywarksmoustache

Why not bring in John McGreal from Colchester as a player/coach? Will definitely be saving us a few quid <ok>

11. johnnywarksmoustache

12. Nuggets

13. itfcptc

itfcptc Well-Known Member

What a great article. It reminded me I did actually enjoy supporting Ipswich once. It also made me realise I don't really care about ME investing in transfers just about going back to the traditions of out great club, playing good football, not having managers who don't give a toss about the football club, not letting the lack of investment get in the way of ambition and entertaining the fans, making sure the fans get a fair deal and being everyone's second favourite team.

Let's face it things could of been a lot worse but even when things were bad and we went into administration it still felt like Ipswich Town now other than the football stadium I don't recognise my characterless club.

14. Scowey

Scowey Well-Known Member

Got to assume that if we do sign anyone this window it will be once we have counted all the coins from the sale of Moore..

It's as obvious as the nose on Mick's face that we need some additional quality (and bodies) around the place so if we haven't sold Moore soon then we'll be waiting around for weeks and probably end up signing Dougie, Tabb and Danny Sh!ttu on the final day of the window

15. johnnywarksmoustache

Or even George Santos, Drissa Diallo or Marco Holster.....

16. Bigalreigned

Bigalreigned Well-Known Member

...and who could ever forget Tony Dinning and his enormous shorts!

17. johnnywarksmoustache

We've signed some real turkeys over the years but a few gems as well. I still remember the day when we signed Marcus Stewart for a big fee (back then) and I thought Wow we are showing real ambition! TWTD!

San Diego likes this.
  18. fieldmarshall

fieldmarshall Well-Known Member

Most of us think Mick will leave in the summer so does he really care who signs or who leaves? He wont be here so no need to plan for next seasons campaign.

19. johnnywarksmoustache

I wouldn't count on it FM you know what total disregard ME has for the club and the fans!

fieldmarshall likes this.
  20. Nuggets

I'm not sure if any of you listen to the Totally Football League Show, but their recent episode has a focus on us and McCarthy. Obviously the presenters are general fans, so their knowledge of Ipswich isn't that detailed, but they do a good job of reflecting our concerns and seem to support McCarthy leaving sooner rather than later. They also have a lot of respect and fondness for Ipswich Town!

Link below for anyone with a spare ten minutes. They start talking about Ipswich on 11.20 minutes. Go to about 17.16 minutes for when they read out my Tweet!

https://audioboom.com/posts/6577936-bring-me-the-head-of-mick-mccarthy

itfcptc and johnnywarksmoustache like this.