1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Transfer Rumours transfer thread fact and fiction

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by remembercolinlee, Feb 1, 2017.

1. Citizen Kane

Citizen Kane Danny Rosebud

No, because there tends to be a direct correlation between size of wage bill and number of trophies. I'm struggling to think of a single successful side (more than a Leicester-esque flash in the pan) who have paid their playing staff massively below the odds...

KingHotspur likes this.
  2. remembercolinlee

remembercolinlee Well-Known Member

VDV?

3. KingHotspur

KingHotspur Well-Known Member

Nope.

Strengthen when you're strong or you'll go backwards. Add in the Wembley effect and we need extra.

4. lennypops

lennypops Well-Known Member

Took a pay cut to join us and win trophies? He wanted playing time I assume. And yes - that is another genuine reason for players to want to move (though you could say that keeping their stock high via playing time also contains financial incentives).

And then he rejoined Hamburg for more personal reasons I thought. But not to win trophies, I wouldn't have thought.

I'm just wondering how many players have been so keen on moving to Bayern Munich or Man Utd to win trophies that they, y'know, don't also happen to get a huge pay increase at the same time. I mean of course it's the trophies they're interested in. The doubling of the wages etc is just a nice extra...

The RDBD likes this.
  5. D.G.C.

D.G.C. Well-Known Member

We're being linked with a lot of players with Seri from Nice being mentioned and Philips from West Bromwich. I have to say now that these lower priced players sound better than big money superstars.

6. "Thanks for that Brian"

"Thanks for that Brian" Well-Known Member

The alleged bid on Seri is interesting. In May and June he was being linked with big name clubs across Europe at double what we've offered. Barcelona was touted as a destination. Now? Silence.

Do Daniel Levy's shark-like senses detect a fish in distress? Is there blood in the water? He may not be our highest priority but a good player at a discount can't be overlooked.........ask West Ham, they've just paid a measly £25m for Arnautovic. Bargain!

D.G.C. likes this.
  7. The RDBD

The RDBD Well-Known Member

I have no idea what "strong" means here (specifically wrt your
    claim that the club repeatedly does not "invest" ) .

8. Citizen Kane

If I had a pound for every time we're linked with a playet without actually signing them, I'd be able to sign Sissoko and use him as a garden gnome.

9. The RDBD

The RDBD Well-Known Member

It worked out for VDV on several aspects.

Still got a fair wage, though not on get Real Madrid silly levels.
    Still got playing time, at a competitively high level (PL and CL) .
    Got a new adoring supporter base, not fickle but appreciating him
    for his talent and on-pitch ethos.

"I'm just wondering how many players have been so keen on moving to Bayern Munich or Man Utd to win trophies that they, y'know, don't also happen to get a huge pay increase at the same time. I mean of course it's the trophies they're interested in. The doubling of the wages etc is just a nice extra."

Indeed. :)
    Just mere coincidence that if the move to another club does not result in
    significant silverware, they still end up with a lorry load of money.

10. Blue and White

Blue and White Well-Known Member

A fair share of these players who move in order to win trophies are actually just squad members and don't get to be first choice players. Walker played 31? PL games for us last season. If City sign another RB that they are after, how many games will he actually play?
    Walnut won a trophy last year, but didn't play. Would he move to a club and take a cut in wages in order to play more ?
    In today's game , there is absolutely no guarantee for any team ( in PL ) to win a trophy so to say you are moving in order to win is absolute tosh.

11. NotSoMightyEastbourneBoro

For all their wealth, Man City last won the league 3 years ago, the FA Cup 6 years ago and it was the league cup the year before..... The last European trophy was in 1970. Sure, they have won more recently than us (so have Wigan.... how does Wigan sound to you Kyle?) but it's a very competitive league out there and no-one can guarantee you anything other than a nice warm bench to sit on and a huge pile of cash.

12. redwhiteandermblue

redwhiteandermblue Well-Known Member

I still go for Fazio as most bizarre, though of course Sissoko, being much more expensive, still rates as worst. We had a team that pressed high, and bought a defender with no pace or ability on the ball who is quite effective for a team that sits back, as he's outstanding in the air and good at clearances.

13. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Something Kyle should also take into consideration is that he's going to be playing in a near enough complete new back line. Himself, Ederson and the likely arrival of Mendy will be joining two of Kompany, Stones and Otamendi in the new look City defence, coached by a man that "doesn't coach the tackles". That's quite a big turnover and in recent seasons, settled back lines have been keys to success for both Chelsea and Leicester, while we've been up there challenging having had the best defence for practically two seasons. There's no doubt Pep is building a City side that in theory will obliterate you when they're on the front foot but if you can nab them on a counter, I think there'll be plenty of holes to exploit.

14. "Thanks for that Brian"

Take Kompany out of that and it's still highly dodgy. Given his injury record, I would reckon that they'll be announcing a centre half before September. Kyle with Stones covering him would be either brave or foolish.

15. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Certainly the latter.

16. "Thanks for that Brian"

The Manchester Evening News continues to flog the dead horse that is "Eric Dier desperate to join United" line. To establish the storyline they write.......

"It is unclear if Dier has told the Premier League runners up of his desire to leave."

Sounds like desperation to me. I find that when I want something desperately, telling nobody about it is the best tactic.

Does anyone read this **** before they publish it?

17. KingHotspur

KingHotspur Well-Known Member

We're strong because we've overachieved the last few years. Financially we should be at best finishing 6th.

My fear is that unless for once we spend more than we take in, we will finish far away from the top 4.

18. Citizen Kane

We tried that under Baldini and it didn't work out so well.

We can afford to sign most players out there, even the £40-50m ones. The major sticking point will always be wages. Even if we were to increase our wage ceiling by 50% today, we'd still be £40m P.A short of what the Mancs and Chelsea pay out.

19. Blue and White

Blue and White Well-Known Member

We could pay out more by upping the wages of the present squad-does that count?

If so , what have we achieved?

20. Citizen Kane

FINALLY something with quotes <applause>

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/foo...am-youth-over-big-transfer-fees-a3593151.html

Excellent news Re Harry Winks - he will be massive this season.

IF, and it is a big IF, Janssen and GKN have the same 2nd season that Son has just produced, we are laughing. Them, together with Winks and Lamela back from injuries will automatically make us much, much stronger than last season. My lingering concern will remain RB though. I still think we need a speed merchant to replace Kyle.