1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Transfer Rumours transfer thread fact and fiction

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by remembercolinlee, Feb 1, 2017.

1. The Huddlefro

The Huddlefro Well-Known Member

I believe that now Højbjerg is confirmed, we are at 17 for the purposes of European football and 16 for domestic squads, as Davies doesn’t count as HG for Europe. We were already overweight non-HG players before the Summer outgoings began hence why the likes of Foyth were left out of European squads at various points in the season.

So unless we’re signing HG players (especially those who qualify in Europe) it’s one out one in. Ali Gold was good on this the other day and he’s what I’ve based this on.

SpursDisciple likes this.
  2. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

Vorm leaving freed up another non-HG spot

Now we just have to sit back and wait for the Dipshit Twins to get enraged by us talking about our HG allowance again...

3. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

"I know if my mother said Pierre-Emile... I was in trouble." <laugh>

Dier Hard likes this.
  4. SpursDisciple

SpursDisciple Booking: Mod abuse - overturned on appeal
    Forum Moderator

So this is as is
    upload_2020-8-12_11-46-24.png

5. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

It still annoys the hell out of me that Ben Davies isn't always classed as homegrown. Ludicrous rule.
    He's literally played his entire career in the same pyramid and a younger player that's done the same thing would qualify.

6. SpursDisciple

SpursDisciple Booking: Mod abuse - overturned on appeal
    Forum Moderator

Is it cause he moved to Denmark, playing there for Viborg when he was 17? I guess same situation as Dier.

7. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

No, it's because Welsh teams came under their own FA for European purposes, despite being in the English football pyramid.
    Dier misses out because he only spent two seasons registered with English clubs prior to turning 21, IIRC.

8. humanbeingincroydon

Says it all that The FA didn't bother looking into this obvious problem until after it bit somebody on the backside

You can almost see the way they thought about it, too: "Oh they're Welsh teams, they'll never qualify for anything"

PleaseNotPoll likes this.
  9. vimhawk

vimhawk Well-Known Member

The "who qualifies" rules have always been a bit weird I think. It seems strange that a player who can represent a country internationally can sometimes not be counted as "homegrown" from that same country. Dier has captained England for goodness sake, but counts as a foreigner for purposes of this!

10. humanbeingincroydon

Something to do with being on the books of Sporting Lisbon between the ages of 9-20...

11. The Changing Man

The Changing Man Well-Known Member

How long is the qualifying period for becoming 'home grown' - I thought that I read somewhere that Foyth will become homegrown in the not too distant future?

12. humanbeingincroydon

They must have been with an English team for a minimum of three years between the ages of 18-21. Foyth joined us when he was 19 - and it does need to be said that South American teams have a rule that players aren't allowed to be sold abroad until their 18th birthday

For future reference, the following players signed from overseas clubs will qualify as HG once they hit their 21st birthday as they were signed when they were 17 or younger
    Troy Parrott
    Yago Santiago
    Isak Solberg
    Jonathan De Bie

Other than that, the only non-English players currently at the club who would qualify for HG are those who came through our academy such as Jamie Bowden - which is why the US-capped Cameron Carter Vickers and Cyprus-capped Jack Roles and Anthony Georgiou all count as HG

Last edited: Aug 12, 2020
  13. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Need to have been trained for 3 years in England before the age of 21 IIRC. I think it may even be between 15-21 that you need to have spent at least 3 years in.

So I don't think Foyth will qualify.

14. The Changing Man

The Changing Man Well-Known Member

OK thanks Gents - I have just realised that it was a talksport article on Twitter so I really should have known better!

remembercolinlee likes this.
  15. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

Barring an 18 month spell at Everton, according to Wikipedia.
    Joined us when he was 20, so he misses out by less than a year.
    Rather annoying really, especially when the reason he was in Portugal was so that his mum could help UEFA.

16. vimhawk

vimhawk Well-Known Member

Yes, but it still doesn't make sense. There are foreign nationals that count as homegrown too!

17. KingHotspur

KingHotspur Well-Known Member

Why shouldn’t they count as home grown if they come over young and spend their teenage years in our clubs academies?

18. PowerSpurs

PowerSpurs Well-Known Member

The rule is perfectly sensible as it encourages clubs to train their own players. It specifically can't depend on nationality or it would breech EU freedom of movement rules. When our transition period ends on 31 Dec we will be able to write our own qualification rules for the PL without that stipulation.
    And the Welsh issue is the home unions being hoist by their own petard. FIFA and UEFA wouldn't normally allow one country four international teams so it is hardly surprising they interpretated the rule to make Welsh clubs part of a different structure.

19. humanbeingincroydon

Which has a lot to do with Cesc Fabregas being on the books at Arsenal between the ages of 16-24, Gerard Pique being on the books at Man Utd between the ages of 17-21, Chris Wood being on the books of West Brom between the ages of 18-21 before moving to Leicester...

It makes perfect sense, which is why Barca fans don't whine about Pique or Fabregas not being HG every transfer window

20. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Defoe messaging Calum Wilson on Instagram comments saying “u going spurs or what bro?”.

****ing love that guy.

Rumours that a few Championship and League One sides want Bowden on loan. League One I think would be better, higher chance of starting, though ideally a promotion chasing League One side. Will be good for him to get some experience, he’s one of our brighter prospects.

Stokenchurch yid likes this.