1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Transfer Rumours transfer thread fact and fiction

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by remembercolinlee, Feb 1, 2017.

1. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

You know in fairness to Bent he got way more stick than he deserved. Although most Spurs fans will tell you (and I'd agree) that he never suited our style, he actually had a respectable strike rate for a player who struggled to ever be first choice for a sustained period, think he managed a 1-in-3 goals to games ratio, which in the grand scheme of things, is actually impressive. I'd much rather have that Darren Bent than the current Vincent Janssen <laugh>

2. BobbyD

BobbyD President

I wouldn't say the way liverpool play is revolved around Mane. Of course Mane is a key part to it, but they were playing the same way last year which is the way Klopp wants to play. I wouldn't say he gets on the ball more than anyone else in particular a la Bale under AVB.

It's always nice for players to want to play for your club. I don't think you could name any players in the world right now who are in this category. I wouldn't even confine the likes of Terry or Gerrard, both 1 man clubs to this as at the end of the day, they wanted to get paid and there were stories of them moving if they weren't made the highest paid players. That's not to say they didn't give it their all on the pitch but given the opportunity and the pay rises, i would say 99% of footballers would move on.

You very rarely get a Matt Le Tissier.

3. BobbyD

BobbyD President

Tbh i always thought Bent was a decent finisher. the thing about him though he was never as good as finisher at defoe and his strength was to run onto through balls and use his pace. Ask him to help build play up, work in tight spaces against deep defences and you might as well play with 10 men. I jest of course but was never a top 4 striker even though his goal rates have been immense for every club he played with, and he was at some right **** clubs (charlton, villa, sunderland , Ipswich)

PleaseNotPoll likes this.
  4. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

He scores goals, but he's the laziest ****er around.
    You mention it being like playing with 10 men and that's exactly it, except you get a few goals thrown in.
    Virtually every club that he joins takes a hit on their league position. That's some coincidence.

5. PowerSpurs

PowerSpurs Well-Known Member

To quote PnP having Bent in your team is like playing with ten men and having a random goal awarded every three games. That isn't a good trade and its also why no player should be judged on goals scored alone. I actually think Defoe is similar: he is a lot more hard-working and committed than Bent but he rarely does anything that actually helps the team other than score the occasional goal. If the rules allowed you to bring on a 12th man for a ten minute 'power-play' or something similar they might both be a good option.

humanbeingincroydon likes this.
  6. PowerSpurs

PowerSpurs Well-Known Member

People have a tendency to assume that goals are additive. ie if Bent scored 15 then if he wasn't playing the team would have scored 15 fewer. That's obvious nonsense as his replacement would likely have scored goals and created them and possibly stopped some as well. I reckon having Bent in your side net costs about a goal every five or six games.

7. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

I think that I can illustrate that quite easily, too.
    Darren Bent at Ispwich: Relegated.
    Darren Bent at Charlton: 11th before he joined, then 13th and 19th. Relegated.
    Darren Bent at Spurs: 5th beforehand, 11th and 8th while at the club, then 4th the next season.
    Darren Bent at Sunderland: 16th before he joined, then 13th and 10th. Sold. No drop or relegation.
    Darren Bent at Villa: 6th before he joined, then 16th, 15th, 15th, 17th. Loaned out repeatedly, then sold.
    Darren Bent at Fulham: 12th before he joined. 19th and relegated.
    Darren Bent at Brighton: 4th in Championship to 6th in Championship.
    Darren Bent at Derby: 8th in Championship to 5th in Championship. Currently 11th.

General downward trend with a large number of relegations. Doesn't look good, does it?

8. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

I think it's very heavily revolved around him, didn't they even send a private jet just to get him back quicker from the ACoN? The massive downturn in form when he was out of the squad to me showed that they had no idea what to do when he weren't playing, that's actually worrying for them considering he only joined in the summer. It's actually very similar with Bale, though having a dreadful manager didn't help things but when Bale didn't play or didn't score, we were often in trouble, just like Pool with Mane.

Yeah of course loyalty in football is dead, no one would really argue with that, though in terms of players joining us, I want the ones who purely want to play for Spurs/ the manager and not just the pay packet, money plays a part I appreciate that but when it's the sole motivation for a player and they don't care who they join so long as they get what they're after then that's the sort of player I'm not fond of and Mane falls into that category I'd say.

9. BobbyD

BobbyD President

That's fair enough. I guess the difference between myself and youself is that as long as the player comes in and puts in 100% and performs even if that is their sole motivation then i'm fine. If they start acting up and being a dick then obviously they can fek off. I guess with the above category then you are more likely to get that sort. However, mane doesn't seem like the type to go AWOL.

I think they flew mane back because they were desperate cause they were **** and origi and sturridge have proven massive let downs. I'd say Mane is pretty critical to them and similar to how rose and walker are to you. Without this lot, you lack genuine pace as well as width.

10. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

I'd say that we lack width without them because we change the system, to be honest.
    We don't just put Davies and Trippier in, we switch back to a four and play more central midfielders.
    Can't say that I understand why.

11. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Oh don't get me wrong if Mane joined us he'd have my full support, as would any player (even Sissoko does when I'm down The Lane, I just mug him off on here <laugh>), it's just as a preference I'd much rather have those who genuinely want to put on a Spurs shirt rather than just wanting to join us because we were offering the best package.

The problem with Rose's absence hasn't solely been attributed to speed, it's the fact that Poch changed up the formation yet still seemed to want Davies to play Rose's role to a tee which he just can't do, Davies can't beat a man and can't draw the play out wide like Rose can, he's also ****ed if we're caught out on a counter. If we kept the 3-4-2-1 formation while Rose was out, Davies probably wouldn't have been as badly exploited as he was against Pool, we would've had a LCB to cover Davies once Mane roasted him and therefore a possibility we could've prevented that first goal, although that's just 'what ifs' and no point dwelling on the past.
    Walker is actually much easier to cover as we have Trippier, who may not have the pace but his crossing ability is just superb, he helps keeps the width nicely and can cross from a much deeper position than Walker so that way he won't be caught out as far up the pitch as Walker can afford to be (Walker's pace means he can give a 10-15 yard head start and still catch 98% of wingers, it's phenomenal).

There's been rumours linking us with Fulham's young lad, Sessegnon, who seems very much in the Rose-style of LB/LWB, so that can perhaps solve the massive difference between switching him and Davies up.

BobbyD likes this.
  12. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

Yep, you never stuttered when Kane was off form or injured <ok>

13. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

Why? the fact a player comes from an "inferior" club doesn't mean he isn't a superior player, that is why big clubs buy from smaller clubs.

14. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

Spurs fans should remember a certain left back they had, didn't love the club, didn't even like football (he saw it purely as a job) but always gave it all and was pretty good too.

Spur of the Moment likes this.
  15. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Depends how critically you'd claim a stutter for us is without Kane. Remained unbeaten in the Prem while he was injured, lost 2-1 at Anfield with a rotated side in the EFL Cup and lost 1-0 at Wembley to Leverkusen where the whole team were **** throughout the CL regardless of Kane being fit or on form. Pool managed just one win in Mane's absence, the replay against Plymouth in the FA Cup.

Because our highest earners should be the ones who have already done the business for our club, or at least someone with a very strong pedigree who would justify such a wage, not a player wanting to come in and be Charlie big bollocks having achieved nothing of note at a smaller club. I don't see how he could justify wanting more money than the likes of Lloris, Kane and Vertonghen, who've been excellent for us over a number of years, especially when he was massively inconsistent at Soton.

16. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Loving the club is a bit extreme to use but that certain left back stated in interviews that he wanted to finish his career at Spurs (this being prior to the cancer that was AVB coming into the club who ****ed everything up). Besides he was hardly on ground breaking wages nor did he ever demand them, bit different to Mane whoring himself to the highest bidder.

Diego likes this.
  17. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

Our form this season, with and without Harry Kane:
    With: P: 25, W: 14, D: 5, L: 6. 56% win ratio.
    Without: P: 12, W: 6, D: 4, L: 2. 50% win ratio.
    A little bit of a dip, but we also lose less often.

Liverpool's form this season, with and without Sadio Mane:
    With: P: 24, W: 16, D: 6, L: 2. 67% win ratio.
    Without: P: 10, W: 3, D: 2, L 5. 30% win ratio.
    Win less than half as often, lose over six times more frequently.
    Wins without were all cup games. Plymouth, Derby and our reserves.

I agree with your general point, that teams missing their best players will do less well overall, though.
    Mane seems to be extremely important to how Liverpool play, though.
    Their 4-3 loss to Bournemouth came after they subbed him off while leading 3-1, too.

Diego and Dier Hard like this.
  18. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

Nico Claesen has suggested that Youri Tielemans joins Arsenal as "...the Gunners play in a way that Tielemans must: with a lot of technique and opportunities for youngsters”

You'd have thought he remembered that Spurs were the North London team that wore white shirts and blue shorts, given he used to play for us...

19. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

Opportunities for youngsters? Arsenal? He mustn't have paid much attention recently.
    We've had the youngest side in the division this season. Again.

20. The RDBD

The RDBD Well-Known Member

Tielemans is not an obscure kid playing in France that only Wenger knows about.