1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Transfer Rumours transfer thread fact and fiction

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by remembercolinlee, Feb 1, 2017.

1. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

I personally wouldn't take the risk on Celtic's Dembele anyway, he looked promising in the Championship with Fulham and is scoring for fun in the SPL but the SPL is a pub league. So many second-rate strikers suddenly have incredible scoring records when playing up there, even Janssen would be on 25 goals by now. May well turn out to be a genuinely top class striker but I'd rather us look at someone more proven at a higher level, we flopped with Janssen and I wouldn't wanna take another punt on a striker from a much inferior standard of league to come in and challenge what is now one of Europe's top marksman.

As for Mane, great player but similar to what HBIC said, the money he was after just showed the type of person he is.

2. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

Tielemans' name has surfaced yet again. For the love of all that is inconceivably horrific, make this happen!

Roo likes this.
  3. Citizen Kane

Citizen Kane Danny Rosebud

Yes please. Dele Alli with more pace and less theatrics.

4. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Tielemans, Winks, Dembele and Wanyama vying for CM spots.

Yes.

Yes please.

5. Citizen Kane

Couldn't agree more. Especially when you consider the figures being bandied around for his signature. £30m! And they've just gone 27 points clear! Doesn't that tell its own story? Personally wouldn't spend more than a fiver on anyone from that pathetic excuse of a football league. I still feel it was a shame that we didn't sign him last year as he could still turn into a class player. But like you've said - just not worth risking an even more expensive Janssen. Wanyama showed the wisdom in signing proven players. I would prefer someone like Josh King or Callum Wilson. Both proven at this level and learned the ropes at a club that plays the game the right way.

Lovearsenalcock and Dier Hard like this.
  6. humanbeingincroydon

While there are examples of players going on to greater things after playing in the SPL, most obvious Gatusso, Larsson, Wanyama and van Dijk that's certainly not reason to chuck £30m Celtic's way for Dembele II - after all, the combined fees that Southampton paid for Wanyama and van Dijk was less than that.

I'm not so sure about Wilson, though. While he has proven he can perform at Premier League level, his injury record is something to worry about given he tore his right ACL last season and his left ACL this season.

remembercolinlee likes this.
  7. Citizen Kane

Yes, forgot about his injury record. Shame as he's a quality player. I watched the Bmouth City game and it was the first time I've watched them for a whole 90 minutes this season. Josh King was an absolute menace. Big, strong, quick on the turn and had a surprising burst of pace for such a big lad. He hasn't got the best scoring record whatsoever, but his ability to run the channels intelligently *cough* Vincent *cough* and bring others into play really impressed me.

Bottom line is, if offered a striker with plenty of PL experience who has a 'meh' scoring record over a striker from an inferior league with a superb record, I'd take the PL striker 9 times out of 10. The frenzied nature of our beloved league has been the death of far greater attackers than poor old Janssen.

Dier Hard and remembercolinlee like this.
  8. RobSpur

RobSpur Well-Known Member

Agree. If Poch thought another player was required in that role, he'd be using Sissoko there imo.

9. RobSpur

RobSpur Well-Known Member

I think this was around the time he starred in the Tarantino flick True Romance.

remembercolinlee likes this.
  10. The RDBD

The RDBD Well-Known Member

Spurs are a great club for general bullet dodging of mercs.
    Up at the business end of the PL, but prudent wage bill.

So you come if you believe in where the club may be going,
    go elsewhere to be paid more but with equal/less possibilities.

Dier Hard and Lovearsenalcock like this.

11. O.Spurcat

O.Spurcat Well-Known Member

Adebayor ??

12. The RDBD

The RDBD Well-Known Member

I did ponder that, but he was so unique. Specifically :

1. nobody was offering him more wages than Spurs so he could go and
    merc elsewhere (sadly) .

2. he was prepared to STAY at Citeh and bleed them dry for the duration of his
    contract if they did not agree to his T+C demands.

13. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Scored the first and third in a 4-1 victory this weekend:

That keeper must be wondering what he's done to offend the footballing gods.

14. Roo

Roo Well-Known Member

15. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

I think what worked in Ade's favour was his season on loan, many of us fell for the whole "plays well when he wants a contract" scenario. He was pure class when City loaned him to us and I'll fully admit I was buzzing that we signed him on the perm deal at the time. Sadly he turned into the Adebayor that made him infamous and became a massively regrettable deal, although in a weird way, it worked out well because his and Soldado's dreadful form paved the way for Kane to become a superstar. If either of those strikers at the time were performing to even an admirable standard, Kane may never have broken through like he did... Funny ol' game.

16. humanbeingincroydon

Today's list of randos are a pair of centre backs, namely Hull's Harry Maguire and Toulouse's Issa Diop, which makes a certain amount of sense if we intend to continue playing three at the back to have a little more depth than the current options where Wimmer and CCV are the only cover.

We're also one of the 58 clubs linked with PSG left wingback Fode Toure-Ballo, who is out of contract at the end of the season - because it wouldn't be a list of randos if it didn't have yet another player from the PSG academy...

17. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Maguire's started to come on quite well this season, I remember him being highly thought of at Sheffield before moving to Hull but then he went under the radar a bit. Could be a decent signing as cover, maybe Daws could have a word.

Never heard of Diop.

Standard PSG academy link.

18. BobbyD

BobbyD President

Does that really matter as long as he's doing the business? No one can deny that Mane is smashing it with Pool and he's the main threat. Just look at how abject they are without him and he has it all (pace, power, dribbling ability, threat).

Wanyama was an absolute bargain but with any PL purchase you get the PL Tax (admittedly you guys have done terribly for some of your overseas strikers). For every "dodgy" looking striker from the foreign leagues, you get just the same in the PL.

Darren Bent for you guys. Carroll for liverpool, Berahino you guys swerved for 15m. Bony has died a slow death.

I agree with you about Josh King though. That boy looks good.

19. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

I just wouldn't want a player to come from an inferior club and earn more than our top earners, it wouldn't be right, it could've possibly upset the apple-cart. Besides I only want players who want to play for Spurs, not who waves the biggest paycheck.

It's also worth noting - and touching on what you mentioned - that Pool revolve their whole game around him, so theoretically he would/ should shine. When he doesn't play, Liverpool stutter. In comparison to Spurs, we don't play to one player's strengths, it's more to do with a collective effort so Mane may not have set the place alight here (or he may well have but it's impossible to tell). I don't regret not signing him, we've got a great team at the moment and while Mane may or may not have been good for us, things are going well enough for me not to be concerned at his non-signing.

Lovearsenalcock likes this.
  20. Citizen Kane

Moussa-Spurs-800x504.jpg