1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Transfer Rumours transfer thread fact and fiction

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by remembercolinlee, Feb 1, 2017.

1. Rumours abound that our dof's 'dream move' to United for £50m may be off as Moanarinho has bought another FB......

<laugh>

2. "Thanks for that Brian"

"Thanks for that Brian" Well-Known Member

Everybody loves Danny Rose for his recent interview and talking about his depression, but the fact of the matter is that it's made impossible any move where he doesn't have to Google the club, let alone its players. No big club's going to be spending £10's of millions on him right now....not even Everton.

He's a likely starter for England because his competition is a bloke who has got a left foot that's not good for anything except diving off of. I'd be surprised if Spurs were rushing to give him a new contract either, whilst others, who were supposedly 'right behind him', will all be doubling their money this summer. Again, we'll want him to get his head down and play really well and earn his way back to where he was.

Unfortunately, right now, he's not worth what he thought he was....

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
    Spur of the Moment likes this.
  3. SpursDisciple

SpursDisciple Booking: Mod abuse - overturned on appeal
    Forum Moderator

To be fair I have a cat that would raise the intellectual level.

4. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Bid in for Grealish, £15m.

Personally think he's worth up to £30m in this market, so if Villa accept £15m it'd be a great deal - although I doubt they will. As I've said before, I've become a big fans of his over the past 6 or so months, not a marquee signing so Spurly remains safe for the moment but nonetheless someone I'd be really happy to see in a Spurs shirt if we pull it off.

5. KingHotspur

KingHotspur Well-Known Member

Same old Spurs.

We need to be looking to improve on what we already have.

Grealish has potential but doesn't take us to the next level.

6. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Most of the players we now idolise were once considered players with potential. There's no problem looking at continuing that model while also trying to bring in a couple of top signings.

7. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I think that we need to do both. We can improve our current squad, but we can't afford to neglect the future.
    Signing Grealish or others with potential is fine, as long as we also strengthen the current side.

Lovearsenalcock, Roo and Dier Hard like this.
  8. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Grealish also offers versatility and that seems to be something Poch really likes. Dier can practically play anywhere, Dele and Eriksen can play in any of the three and also CM, Sissoko for as much as we mock has played RW, DM, CM and even RB once or twice.

Grealish started his career playing as an inside forward on the left, then moved into the ten role and has recently been utilised more deeper, where according to Villa fans is where he's played some of his best football. From the games I've seen he seems to be their version of a Modric in that they're always looking to get him on the ball and get things going.

9. Grealish = Modric!!! <yikes>
    WTF DH!! I knew you were keen on the lad, but are you his feckin' agent now?? <laugh>

Lovearsenalcock likes this.
  10. KingHotspur

KingHotspur Well-Known Member

If we get him and 2/3 'top' signings then yeah it's ideal. I still don't see us getting a marquee signing though.

Lovearsenalcock and Roo like this.

11. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Grealish > Modric tbh... <laugh>

I probably am the most keen out of any Spurs fan to see him join though. I've become a fan of his over the past 6 or so months, enjoyed watching him play whenever I watched Villa (for Onomah purposes).

12. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

The YouTuber's are already out in force with the "Spurs target" and "Welcome to Spurs" vids <laugh>

13. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Spurs target for last season, apparently.

14. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

The thing about planning for the future is our Academy is also part of our future and that's where the idea of signing Grealish starts to bother me as both he and Onomah tended to play in the same role for Villa last season, so signing Grealish would put Onomah even further back in the pecking order for a spot in the first team and the question has to be asked whether Grealish is really worth that.

Similar can be said of our being linked with Sheffield United midfielder David Brooks, as he plays in the same position as Skipp, Oakley-Boothe, Duncan and Roles so at last two of those list won't be stepping up.

Lovearsenalcock likes this.
  15. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

We've supposedly accepted £30m from a currently un-named Chinese side for Dembele.

16. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

I'm a massive fan of Onomah but I get the feeling Poch isn't. I really hope not but I think Onomah may end up being sold in the window - or loaned with option to buy. Maybe even as part of a deal to get Grealish?

I don't buy the Brooks links, think it's just the journos doing their usual "promising young player, let's link him with Spurs" bullshit.

17. Roo

Roo Well-Known Member

I’m happy with Grealish. As others have said, there’s no harm in buying another player with potential. It’s worked pretty well for us.
    However, if all our signings are of this type, that won’t be a successful window IMO. 1 or 2 is fine, but there needs to be some proven quality in that mix of signings who genuinely has a chance of taking one of ours existing players spot in the team. Otherwise we aren’t improving.

18. "Thanks for that Brian"

We're very light on home grown players. Adding Grealish really helps that, as would signing an English second string goalkeeper, having 3 foreigners in that position is a bit OTT.

I see him as Dele Mk II. Lots of talent, that bit of fire and arrogance married to a good degree of talent. Plus, he's got something a bit nasty about him and we can be a bit too nice. Perfect for Mauricio Pochettino. He'll have to work very hard to get in the side but he must know Dele and Winksy pretty well and if he chooses Spurs, I'll be well chuffed. If we get him for what we paid for Vinnie, then we've had a right result.

Dier Hard likes this.
  19. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

The thing is with Grealish is that I just can't see where he would fit in the squad, as he'd be behind Eriksen and Alli as an attacking midfielder, while if he was moved deeper (where he has played in the past) then we have the issues of him not displacing Winks, certainly not replacing Demble and/or Sissoko, while also getting in the way of Skipp and TOB a season or two down the line, while as a left winger he wouldn't be displacing Son or Moura and would be getting in the way of Shashoua and Giorgiou - and we've already lost Bennetts on the left wing as it is this summer.

To be honest this move reminds me a lot of Sissoko, as we're signing a player and trying to figure out where he fits once he's here - and that's never worked out for us, as Kevin-Prince Boateng and Adel Taarabt both demonstrated.

The fact that I actually agree with an HITC headline, that we should forget about Grealish and sign Seri instead, says it all.

remembercolinlee likes this.
  20. "Thanks for that Brian"

I don't see Dembele at the club next season and possibly not Sissoko either. We were desperately slow in getting the ball forward last season. That needs to change and this kid could do that. We've been watching Onomah all last season, so we've seen the kid plenty and have an inside track into his mentality and character through that same door.

Unlike Kevin-Prince Boateng and Adel Taarabt he's played lots of English first team football and sorted his head out.