1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Transfer Rumours transfer thread fact and fiction

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by remembercolinlee, Feb 1, 2017.

1. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

We were in the middle of a title challenge when Kyle Walker decided that he wanted to move to The Sheikh Mansour Team, in spite there being clear daylight between us and them in third place

2. Spurf

Spurf Thread Mover
    Forum Moderator

No it doesn't but we still have our opinions. I understand why Kane would want to go there. I doubt many people would turn their nose up at an extra £200,000 per week. But that's what the game is at risk of losing . Despite the hype from the fawning media there really is no glory in City winning anything as far as I am concerned, and I am not alone in that view. Money has always been a factor in pro sport, of course it has, but there is a tipping point where it really is causing damage to the game overall. I think we have reached that stage and quite frankly the reverse to your comment is true. I do not care what pro footballers think or what they want, that's all about self aggrandisement I am more interested in the game itself. The ESL was an example of where the money guys want to go for just the same reasons that you suggest Kane wants to go to City. Don't blame his very human reaction, but don't ask me to condone it in any way.
    If Kane goes to City it will be goodbye and thanks for all the fish.

3. Spurf

Spurf Thread Mover
    Forum Moderator

And I never mentioned Winks <laugh>

4. redwhiteandermblue

redwhiteandermblue Well-Known Member

No sooner do I say I have no hope for the foreseeable future because Spurs aren't doing what they can to win big trophies and have hired the wrong manager, then Spurs start doing exactly what I've been in favor of, or so it seems, and their manager starts making me change my mind about him.

The biggest problem Spurs had (I hope the past tense is correct), even greater than the stale state of their squad, was that nobody good wanted to be there, judging from the number of players leaving or asking to leave.

Nuno said a few of the right words, which I thought meant absolutely nothing. But a couple of things were noticeable about Spurs in their first two friendlies. Young players got a big chance, especially in the first game, which has to be a good sign for any young players considering coming to Spurs. When a veteran lineup did start in the second game, they looked sharp, fit, and (mostly) focused on playing an attractive style. They also seemed to be having fun. Some notable absences may have been a successful way of exerting control. It was interesting to see that with Son's new contract at or near the top of the priority list, Nuno started a lineup versus Colchester geared to help Son shine--and gave prominent roles to Son's closest friend (maybe) and his friend's friend. My conclusion is that Nuno may have done a very commendable job in his first few weeks in charge...

...and that Spurs understand that if they stop giving me any hope, I won't suffer as much.

5. humanbeingincroydon

Kounde Watch
    Alasdair Gold claims that Kounde could be persuaded to join us if Los Ladrones do not make an offer

I repeat what I said a week or so ago: I really don't want us signing players whose attitude towards us is "you'll do" because that's leaving us wide open to having certain clubs sniffing around within a couple of seasons knowing he'll jump at the chance, even if we likely double what we paid for him

And that's the annoying part, as Sevilla are interested in Sanchez and were willing to accept cash + Sanchez a couple of weeks back, as the only way that deal could be better is if they wanted to exchange Dier & Sissoko for Kounde without us paying a penny in transfer fees

Also...

please log in to view this image

redwhiteandermblue likes this.
  6. humanbeingincroydon

De Telegraaf report that Ajax are interested in Bergwijn, but need to sell before they can buy

Personally I feel we should keep hold of Stevie B, and looking at him in pre-season he's already looking twice the player he was made to look by our insipid system once the ubermensch got paranoid about our weakness at RB

On the other hand, so you're saying that Ajax need some cash...?

7. remembercolinlee

remembercolinlee Well-Known Member

Back page of Saturdays Mirror...
    "City warn Spurs....£160m is too much for Kane"
    ...WTF they gonna do...not buy him to teach us a lesson ?
    <laugh>

8. Spurf

Spurf Thread Mover
    Forum Moderator

In he real world, City say they would not pay that much and Spurs say he is not for sale. A non story from a non newspaper. In other news George W. Bush is buying a holiday home in Vladivostok and Arsene Wenger is to merge his pen knife company with MacDonald's to foster his share a hamburger scheme. Coca Cola are looking to market their drink in bamboo socks.

9. "Thanks for that Brian"

"Thanks for that Brian" Well-Known Member

It's the old dance. We've seen it before...the trick is to follow the money. If, in the next few weeks, we're going to be spending money like a sailor who's just hit port and City aren't buying anyone, it's only a matter of time until it's done...probably 16 August or shortly thereafter.

If we don't complete deals on players who cost significant money, like with Skriniar last summer, then maybe our denials might mean something. Otherwise, it's just hot air on both sides.

10. LockStock

LockStock Well-Known Member

I somewhat disagree with this. If we can get the best players we should. That'd be like not buying Bale in the first place because he had Madrid dreams.

Who knows, if you get the right combo of top players at the same time, they may grow to love the place, and if they don't we should have elevated the club somewhat whilst they are here, making us more attractive to other top players. (Plus, imagine the deal we can make with Real Madrid when the time comes, which players of their we might want to take in exchange.)

Rinse, repeat.

Imagine Man United not buying Ronaldo. <laugh>

11. humanbeingincroydon

When we signed Bale he wasn't dreaming of Los Ladrones, just like the Oily Rat wasn't dreaming of them when he signed for Man Utd

Look at Haaland for a blatant case of "you'll do", as the terms of his Dortmund contract outright say that he's using them as a pitstop en route to a club he feels he should be playing given the release clause for next summer fits very nicely with the budgets of The Usual Suspects (at least until the bottom fell out of Barca's and Los Ladrones' coffers in the last eighteen months...) coupled with his already outrageous wage demands which, frankly, deserve to see his career pan out like the last Dortmund striker who thought he deserved to move to one of The Usual Suspects only for none of them to show any interest so instead he's been a drain on Arsenal's resources for the last five years

12. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Mike McGrath is usually pretty reliable too:

13. humanbeingincroydon

£13m for Toby? Not only will that top up the coffers and get his wages off the books, but also means we'd be selling him for a profit

Billy The Spur likes this.
  14. "Thanks for that Brian"

"Thanks for that Brian" Well-Known Member

£13m for Toby...?

<party>

That's ****ing nuts...Happy days!

I'll never forget his performance away at Dortmund...

Extraordinary

Last edited: Jul 24, 2021
  15. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

We getting that monaaaay!

‘Tis a good deal though if it happens. Fair bit more than I expected us to get if we sold him. Surprised he’s going there though, was under the impression he preferred a move closer to home.

Billy The Spur likes this.
  16. humanbeingincroydon

Possibly heading there for a year or two before joining Beerschot 2: Electric Boogaloo to call it a day

Dier Hard likes this.
  17. KingHotspur

KingHotspur Well-Known Member

18. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Well that’s one down.

Welcome, Pierluigi!

PleaseNotPoll and KingHotspur like this.
  19. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

20. Billy The Spur

Billy The Spur Well-Known Member

It is almost as if they believe it is £ity`s right to buy Kane, and that £ity should be setting the price. IF Kane is for sale, Spurs will set the price, or £ity can fack off and we will be delighted to keep him.

As others have said though, worrying signs will be some abnormal spending from Spurs and £ity failing to sign a centre forward, that would point to a deal late in the window. Levy will have some balls to sell him though, the fans are already on his back (and rightly so) as it is, imagine if he sold Kane, and for a price regarded as less than his worth to Spurs.