1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Transfer Rumours transfer thread fact and fiction

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by remembercolinlee, Feb 1, 2017.

1. LockStock

LockStock Well-Known Member

I’m saying that if Kane stays we should definitely be challenging.

I know it’s a big if.

The same title that Kane wants to win with City, he could win with us, if he stays.

That’s all.

We’d have a better chance next season than Leicester had when they won it. To think anything different is pessimistic at this point.

2. LockStock

It was a pipe dream for Leicester also.

If Kane stays, why not dream?

YES, I know he may leave, but he hasn’t yet.

3. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Because you'd just be setting yourself up for disappointment.

We're not good enough to win or challenge for the title yet. It's why we've scraped 6th and 7th the last couple seasons and not 1st, 2nd or 3rd.

Look at this squad and barring about 5, the rest are pretty much midtable quality at best. To dream of the title with this level of quality would just leave you disappointed at around January once we're about 15 points from top position.

We were able to dream of it back in 16/17, as we had a great team back then, we don't have that now, a few great individuals and that's it.

4. LockStock

Again. If we have no intention of at least getting to the point where we’re dreaming, why hire a DOF, or build a stadium?

If Son shared this perspective, would he have signed a new deal?

Last November we topped the league. None of us predicted it, yet there we were. The squad is already improved since then and the window is still open.

The time for real pessimism begins when the widow closes, no?

That’s all I’m saying.

Let the new DOF work. Jeez!

Shoot for the stars to reach the moon and all that.

Just to add. I'm a Spurs fan. I live in almost constant disappointment. <laugh>

It doesn't mean I have to be a pessimist earlier than necessary.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2021
  5. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

It’s not even pessimistic to say we’ve not got a chance of winning the title. A team that’s been on a decline for three or four straight seasons is not then going to suddenly develop title aspirations with a squad that’s weaker than it was four years ago.

Son signed his new deal because he’s getting a **** ton of money. Son also is probably well aware he likely won’t be picking up a league winner’s medal at Tottenham but probably hopes he’ll get a cup winners medal at some point as well as getting back into the champions league.

If we had a genuine shot at winning the league this season then don’t you think Kane will be more than happy to stick around, rather than want a move to City?

6. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

please log in to view this image

Luis Muriel, Colombian striker who plays for Atalanta, wearing a Spurs kit, for some reason.
    Maybe a gift from Sanchez or something? Doesn't seem like a likely target.

7. LockStock

This is my entire point. We agree!

It is the DOF's job, and Nuno's to rebuild the squad to the point where all of the players, including Kane if he'd not sold, believe they have a genuine shot at winning the league. Why not be aiming there?

His job isn't complete yet.

Until they fail in the window, why write the idea off?

No major European competition to distract. Both Liverpool and Leicester had this advantage. To Dare is to Do and all of that good stuff!!

Last edited: Jul 23, 2021
    maggie blanchflower likes this.
  8. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Because we’re nowhere near there yet.

The rebuild hasn’t even officially commenced because we’ve still got all the dross here and none of the new signings are yet confirmed. The rebuild will likely take a couple years too and that's also hoping the new signings do indeed improve us.

That’s why right now I’m definitely not putting my hopes into a title challenge because I’m almost certain to be disappointed.

9. Spurf

Spurf Thread Mover
    Forum Moderator

Because his brother can earn a fat fee as his agent/manager and Kane can double his money. I can hear his friends and maybe family Your'e one of the best strikers in the world you can double what you get at Spurs and win trophies. That's the message he has been sold. IMO it's unlikely even City will offer 160 million and Levy won't sell unless he wants to. Kane is not the sort to throw a tantrum so all the signs suggest he will stay rather than go. Unless you think the Sun is a reliable source of information. So as LockStock has said, add a defence to the attack we have and there is absolutely no reason for us not to be challenging. Even if Kane does leave we have shown in the past we can score goals without him. We managed to get to CL final without him so you have to be a pessimist not to reckon that we have a chance. Changing players is not the only solution to under performing teams.

remembercolinlee likes this.
  10. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

So you think Kane wants out of Spurs because his brother can earn a nice fee and that he can double his wages?

You don’t think Kane’s looking at City and thinking “If I join that we’re dominating England and possibly Europe!”? That City squad is rightly miles better than us, it’s cost a nation’s wealth to achieve it.

We need more than just a good defence, we need a top midfield too as only Hojbjerg and potentially Skipp are those we can rely on. We need another forward as well who can contribute goals because we don’t have Bale again. Then there’s effective squad players as well that the top sides need.

This squad right now is not good enough. We’ve finished 6th and 7th the last two seasons for a reason and we’ve declined in the previous two from those as well.

11. Citizen Kane.

Citizen Kane. Well-Known Member

Our squad is in a bit of an odd position as on the whole it is a combination of players who hit their ceiling a long time ago and simply aren't good enough to be anything more than bit-part cameo players (Dier, Winks, Sissoko, Aurier, Lucas, Lamela, Toby, Sanchez, Davies and quite possibly Dele).

Then there is an even larger group of players who we most certainly haven't seen the best of (Reguilon, Lo Celso, Hojbjerg, Bergwijn, Rodon, Tanganga, Sess, Skip, Doherty and probably Ndombele too)

It's that latter group, especially the youngsters, who will define our success in the coming season. Maureen was just about the worst managerial choice in world football to inspire players when they're off form or to help young players develop. If Nuno can tap into that group above to a level even close to what Poch did with the young group from 2014-2017, and Paratici helps him by making a number of smart signings, suddenly our prospects seem a hell of a lot more positive.

I agree, there are far too many ifs and buts in the above for us to be talking about winning titles any time soon, but last season we didn't finish a million miles away from the top 4 and that was having played atrocious football with a wildly underperforming side under a manager who was literally clueless.

Roo and Spurf like this.
  12. The Changing Man

The Changing Man Well-Known Member

I realise that there is a lot of realism in the posts here regarding how unlikely a good season is, but as fans if we cannot at least dream that things could be different this year then whats the point?

I don't think that we will fair any better this year than we have in the last 2 seasons, but I hope we do. If Leicester winning the title taught us anything it must be that anything is possible. They were in a far worse position than us the season before though they did have a positive end to the campaign before. They had a new manager with a similar CV to Nuno and lets be honest before the season started would we have wanted any of their players

Yes Leicester got lucky, many much better teams on paper had poor seasons, and they happened across a plan, and 2 unexpected world class players were signed that no one had heard of. The chances of all those things aligning again are minimal but it could - I know that won't but it could!!!

13. redwhiteandermblue

redwhiteandermblue Well-Known Member

All signings are risks. Kane would seem one of the safest bets, except for the likelihood of more injuries.

There were a number of problems with the Baldini signings. Trying to replace too much of your team at once is always a bad idea, as there is no longer any style of play for everyone to sync into. Once you have a team with 4 or more new starters, they have to both create a new style and sync to it, which is a painfully slow process. Relatedly, given that the time it takes to integrate is considerable, the players were too old on average.

Paratici may be trying to make his big purchases around 20 years old. That would kill two birds with one stone, because they might not expect to start right away, so there would still be a style for players to sync into; and Spurs would be trying to build a top level team in a few years, not next year. It would mean Spurs have another couple of years mid-table, but much better to bite that bullet, then compete for big trophies in a few years, than to continue to fall steadily down the table like Arsenal.

14. redwhiteandermblue

redwhiteandermblue Well-Known Member

15. Spurf

Spurf Thread Mover
    Forum Moderator

If you look at who we have to compete with to achieve say 4th or 5th. Leicester, Arsenal, Everton, even West Ham, they are all beatable by us. More difficult to compete with City, United and Chelsea and Liverpool but I would expect us to do more than mid table in the next two seasons, but I like the rest of your post. <ok>

redwhiteandermblue likes this.
  16. Spurf

Spurf Thread Mover
    Forum Moderator

Kane may well think that re City but for me they hardly exist and I give them no credit for having unlimited resources, there is no glory there. If he goes he leaves the glory behind for money and faux success.

We finished 6th & 7th because we had the wrong manager the team underperformed in the self imposed straight jacket of Jose. I expect to see many of these same players perform quite differently with a new man at the helm. I have to admit to some concern that he has come from the Portugese school for which I have no love but I did see some exciting performances from Wolves so maybe his goalkeepers perspective will take in the whole field of play. Hojberg and Skipp is an exciting potential partnership.

remembercolinlee likes this.
  17. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

It doesn’t matter what you or I think of City, ultimately players want to join them because they’re the likeliest to win the trophies here in England and it’s why Kane wants to go there.

Did you not see the team under Pochettino prior to his sacking too? From Jan 19 to his sacking we had relegation form and only the Lucas Moura semi final heroics papered over it. Jose was a terrible choice of manager for us but we can't pretend everything was his fault, this squad was failing under Poch and it failed under Jose too.

Whilst the likes of Dier, Toby, Sanchez, Winks, Sissoko, Dele etc continue to feature for this team, whether it be regularly or semi regularly, it won’t matter who the manager is, they’ll fail regardless because these players constantly let us down. This is now most of our players third manager, gotta get to a stage where you realise it’s not the managers always at fault.

Lovearsenalcock and KingHotspur like this.
  18. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Talk that the Romero deal is edging closer.

Also the rumours of Ajax wanting Bergwijn keep popping up.

19. Spurf

Spurf Thread Mover
    Forum Moderator

I think your view is far too black & white. Yes the team were failing after the CL final and other events were conspiring to make life difficult for Pochettino and his team but I don't write off players just like that. Toby for example has had many good games for us since as in fact have all of them that you list. Yes no doubt some of these should move on but others will stay I think. You talk of disappointment which I fear you will see as some of those players are kept on. I wonder, for example how useful to Dier has been his Portuguese connection. I am sure Nuno will feel a degree of comfort having at least some of his squad speaking his own language. This appeared to be a factor at Wolves although these may have been players he knew and trusted. We have seen many examples of players flourishing under different management who had previously struggled. At the risk of your wrath, <laugh> I am interested to see the new bigger Dele for example.

20. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

I’d say my view is simplistic and that’s because it’s not complicating to see. Poor players result in poor results and that’s what we’ve been seeing too much of over the last couple/ few years. Son and Kane’s heroics is what’s primarily carrying us over.

It was well before the CL final though, it was at the beginning of the 2019 where our form began slumping and it never picked up other than some memorable CL nights.

Toby had a shocking season though and he’d been in decline for a while. I think if Poch were still here Toby wouldn’t have signed a new deal either’s likewise Dier too.

As you know I’m done with Dele. Bloke’s living off of past form, been useless for years now. It’s persisting with players like this that I feel has cost us. We can debate who we can point the finger at there but holding on and persisting with too many of these players who’ve either seen their best days or never even had them is what’s primarily caused our decline. It’s why for me, until the majority of those I’ve listed are kicked out the door I’ll find it hard to be optimistic, because I know full well the same players will get to disappoint us and a new manager yet again.

Lovearsenalcock likes this.