1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Transfer Rumours transfer thread fact and fiction

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by remembercolinlee, Feb 1, 2017.

1. SpursDisciple

SpursDisciple Booking: Mod abuse - overturned on appeal
    Forum Moderator

Even from Kane's perspective. Where is the achievement in joining a club that will likely win trophies without him there. Sure they'll win them easier with him aboard, but he won't have made any real difference. If this is true it is just another footballer thinking £200k per week is not enough and deciding £400k is what he deserves.

2. KingHotspur

KingHotspur Well-Known Member

For another title challenge? That feels massively unrealistic to me. Challenge for top 6 and entertaining football seems more realistic to me.

Buy younger players with potential and then help them develop into top players that can improve the side’s chance in the future (somehow need to find a way to keep them happy when they’re at their peak)

The Changing Man likes this.
  3. Spurf

Spurf Thread Mover
    Forum Moderator

It's not important for me to speculate on what will happen, for me a new season with a new manager and some new players means all possibilities are there. It's just no good looking at track records and expecting them to tell you much of how the season will be.

4. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

please log in to view this image

Rebelspur, Roo, LockStock and 7 others like this.
  5. Billy The Spur

Billy The Spur Well-Known Member

I love Harry Kane, but moving to £ity he would be trading immortality at his boyhood club for a few cheap and easy medals. Staying at Spurs and winning even just one medal, would carry way more sense of achievement and kudos than any medals he would be bought by Sheikh Mansour.

6. Spurf

Spurf Thread Mover
    Forum Moderator

Very good news on Son

7. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Well at least one of our best players wants to stay!

Nice one, Sonny!

8. KingHotspur

Heung-Min Son added: “It was already a big honour to play here for six years, the Club have showed me massive, massive respect and obviously I’m very happy to be here.

“It’s like home, especially with the fans, the players, the staff. There was no decision. It was easy. I’m so happy to be here and will be so glad to see the fans again soon."

9. Spurf

Spurf Thread Mover
    Forum Moderator

I think the time towards the end Mourinho has made us paint a blacker picture than the reality. We still have a squad full of potential and witha few good signings thing can look a whole lot brighter. This was a team that was able to put 6 past United before Jose got too cautious and turned us into a defensive nightmare.

10. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

I wouldn’t go that far, we’ve still got a squad full of wasters and has-beens too. Jose just compounded it with his style of football but it was also dreadful towards the end under Poch as well so it’s not like it was mutually exclusive to Jose.

Once the likes of Dier, Sanchez, Toby, Aurier, Winks, Sissoko, Dele and Lamela are gone I’ll probably start feeling a bit more optimistic. Whilst they remain, we’ll forever be held back. Even some of the newer guys have been poor too and this’ll likely be last chance saloon for them to finally prove their worth under Nuno.

Lovearsenalcock and KingHotspur like this.

11. The Huddlefro

The Huddlefro Well-Known Member

I guess what’s weird is that there’s nobody inbetween. We’ve got a few top class players, some excellent young talent, and a load of dross. All the players who in the past were reliable squad filler have declined because of age. It’s only really Lucas, Hugo and Davies who you’d class as reliable these days. Whereas at our peak under Poch we had a team full of top performers and the squad players were more reliable.

12. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Mad ain’t it?

The decline in the last few years almost feels like it can’t be true. Just bad decisions everywhere you look and bad players to join it. Prime-Poch era I would’ve been gutted to see any player go, now with the exception of a small handful I’d jump for joy at seeing the back of some.

Hopefully Don Fabio can begin getting this mess sorted though and that Nuno also surprises a few.

The Huddlefro likes this.
  13. vimhawk

vimhawk Well-Known Member

The Citeh machine is going into perpetual motion. Identify a great player somewhere else? Make them an offer they can't refuse. Doesn't matter if you really need him, just making sure he can't play for anyone else. And the pundits will say how clever you are to have two teams that could be in the top 4. Luckily however, the cost of these new players is more than covered by the hundreds of millions extra that the club earned last year. You know, when nobody could watch the matches. But then again, Citeh's money doesn't really come through the turnstiles does it. And of course PFP wouldn't be interested because all of the sponsorship is clearly legitimate, isn't it. All the pundits saying that the PL is still competitive, and will remain so. Well it isn't that competitive in terms of who is likely to win, and it's only going to get worse. And will people want to carry on watching the thing if there can be only one winner?

14. LockStock

LockStock Well-Known Member

If the players were as pessimistic as you here, why would they bother at all?

Kane was the best goal scorer and creator of chances in the entire league. With a better defence we could have challenged last season.

Why is it therefore unrealistic to assume that if the defence was better, and we keep the attack, that we would do better than last season?

Especially if the first team are not distracted by European competition.

maggie blanchflower and Spurf like this.
  15. KingHotspur

Because I don’t think they can challenge for the title I’m pessimistic?

I think they can improve on last season, but I also believe Kane will be sold and to replace him and his goals and assists won’t be easy at all.

16. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Son on his new contract:

maggie blanchflower likes this.
  17. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

I think a title challenge is probably a bit of a pipe dream. We’re about 6 (top) players away from having a team to even possibly do so and that’s excluding the need for a good squad too.

Plus whilst City pump their £Ms the chances for us to nail the perfect amount of signings to challenge is slim. Pool managed it for a season but ultimately the money boys end up prevailing again.

A top four charge and a good run at a cup or two is where I think Spurs need to be. We’ve got a few great players and we’ve got a few promising young ones, scrap the deadwood and hopefully Fabio brings us a few gems and we can get back on track having declined for the last 3-4 years.

KingHotspur likes this.
  18. humanbeingincroydon

He's baaaaaaaaaaaaaaack!

19. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Well, that's basically official, then.

The Huddlefro likes this.
  20. humanbeingincroydon

Tomiyasu Watch
    Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand he's done his ankle at the Olympics

There will be a Levying. Oh yes, there will be a Levying...