1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Transfer Rumours Transfer tavern - winter 2020/2021

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by Walsh.i.am, Nov 9, 2020.

1. Puncturedtractortyre

Puncturedtractortyre Well-Known Member

Surely - he's worth more than 15mil anyway. He and Krul were the only players who weren't out of their depth last season

2. SuffolkCanary

SuffolkCanary Well-Known Member

Saw a wierd rumour earlier that we are being linked with a move for Sami Kheidira, he will be a free agent in the summer. Surely wages, age and injury record would not fit our model? But then we did sign Drmic so who knows?!

3. Walsh.i.am

Walsh.i.am Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Currently being quoted at £130k a week!?
    We could get three (3) Steven Naismiths for that!!

4. oldcanariesfan

oldcanariesfan Well-Known Member

If he has a dodgy injury record he’ll be of interest to us - we might have a vacancy or two in Matron’s Waiting Room by then.

5. Golden Eadie 2

Golden Eadie 2 Well-Known Member

Who is the oldest player SW has signed? I would suggest Hanley, No chance of us ever signing a 33 year injury prone overpaid has been (OK, a bit ott ), but you get my drift. It has also been suggested that we should be interested in Jack Wilshire who is currently without a club. What has happened to him in the last few years? In his early days at Arsenal he looked destined for greatness, but now seemingly on the scrap heap.

6. RiverEndRick

RiverEndRick Well-Known Member

Pukki was 29 when we signed him. That was a rash spending of a signing on fee!

As for Hanley, IMO he has more than justified his £3m fee over the past 3 years, having had to adjust to playing out from the back. He's one of our fastest players, according to Max, and that was evident as he overtook Windass as he was streaking towards our goal.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2020
    DUNCAN DONUTS and carrowcanario like this.
  7. Canary Rob

Canary Rob Well-Known Member

Agree with that. Our transfer policy has been remarkably successful recently, where we have been brave enough to spend. (Whether we have bought the right players is a different debate...)

carrowcanario likes this.
  8. General Melchett

General Melchett Well-Known Member

I don't think it will happen but one thing I think that will have been learnt from our last foray into the PL is that added quality rather than added potential could make a difference.
    So were we to get promoted and no one with greater clout would take a punt on him, I can see him being just the sort of last point to prove player who might add the know how to keep us up. Very good player in his day. Clearly no long term contract but a short term one even for 1 season with a secondwritten in if we stayed up is not totally beyond the realms of possibility.
    Us paying him enough .....thats a different story!

Bah!

9. Canary Rob

It's easy to forget that Hanley is still "only" 29! He was 26 when we signed him.

If we exclude loanees, then as far as I can tell our oldest signings since Webber has joined are Krul (he was 30) but of course as a keeper he doesn't really affect your point, and (!!!) Rupp (who had just turned 29 when he joined us).

10. RiverEndRick

I also think he could do a job for us, especially if Skipp goes back to Spurs after his loan. This is from Wiki:

"Wilshere is known for his movement, vision, passing and combination play, as well as his leadership on the pitch. He has been described by Arsène Wenger as having "Spanish technique, but an English heart". Wilshere has been played in many different positions, including as an attacking midfielder, a winger, and most regularly, as a deep-lying central midfielder. Wenger has said that Wilshere is "a box-to-box player, more than just a holding midfielder." Wilshere's style of play has frequently been compared to that of former Arsenal midfielder Liam Brady."

At 28, he still has years left and his 34 caps for England speaks volumes. He did well on loan at Bournemouth in 2016-17 (29 games) until an injury finished that season. He then had 2 years at West Ham before being released. Injuries might be a worry, as could wages, but on a free transfer that might be manageable even on our budget.

11. Canary Rob

He would be a controversial signing, but I agree he would be great if we could keep him fit. As you say the issue would be wages, but I also think the board would (in my view rightly) want to ensure the club is protected if he gets crocked by it being more of a pay-per-play arrangement. That might not suit him though.

12. RiverEndRick

zogean_king and Walsh.i.am like this.
  13. SuffolkCanary

SuffolkCanary Well-Known Member

14. Canary Spring

Canary Spring Well-Known Member

I've read that Soto rejected two call-ups from Chile, but I don't think he's announce for the U.S. yet. What's the hold-up Sebastian?

15. Hairy Mary Quite Canary

Hairy Mary Quite Canary Well-Known Member

He's played twice for the senior US team (and scored) just recently. Alright they were friendlies i think but pretty sure that counts as senior caps. I'm really excited about this guy's potential.

16. Canary Spring

Canary Spring Well-Known Member

I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do for us, too. I don't really care who he plays for internationally; I just want him to hurry up and get his work permit in the U.K. I'm not sure friendlies count. I've read the post-Brexit rules for footballers a couple of times but I don't remember them. :)

17. RiverEndRick

I'm pretty sure friendlies do count, but I haven't read up on it recently.

18. DUNCAN DONUTS

DUNCAN DONUTS SOCIAL JUSTICE WARRIOR

<laugh>

Ain't that the truth

19. DUNCAN DONUTS

DUNCAN DONUTS SOCIAL JUSTICE WARRIOR

I have it on good authority that he was out clubbing in Essex Romford I think pissed up and letching on a woman who stamped on his foot or ankle with heels on and messed him up .

This displeased Wenger and he marked his card.

Bang average at Bournemouth and wouldn't suit our club at all.

20. RiverEndRick