1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Transfer rumours

Discussion in 'Ipswich Town' started by TopBunk, May 16, 2021.

1. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

For those wondering how Gamechanger and the investors are going to make a profit, the Edmundson signing shows our strategy.

I can see it already, buy players at a young age, develop them and then sell on for big profit. We've given him a four year contract, I don't expect he will be here for the full length of it. We will improve him as a player over the next two years and then sell him aged 25/26, the perfect age that premier league clubs like for defenders.

We don't need to reach the prem to turn a profit, the right recruitment can net us big money if done right!

fieldmarshall and TopBunk like this.
  2. Southcoastoldgaffer

Southcoastoldgaffer Well-Known Member

Cant think who you mean, but we all like Hampy! Looking to be a decent squad now, tho they will need bedding in so to speak!

I am looking to travel up early October, by when I expect we will be in top 10 and pushing onwards and upwards.

3. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

YorkieLancsHampyLondoner Well-Known Member

Makes a nice change from him giving the Snapchat models one in the eye!

Bigalreigned likes this.
  4. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

Very hard to make a profit outside the Prem even selling players. We sold Cresswell, Mings and Wickham for big sums and still managed to turn over a huge loss.

5. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

I’m not bothered by the loan in isolation. I was more bothered that we need to get a lot of bodies in and were going to start resorting to loans to plug the gap. That’s clearly not been the case though.

6. Spanish

Spanish Well-Known Member

Chaplin deal confirmed, welcome number ten!! Oh and counting as Ashton says they are working to bring more in, fandabidozi!!

7. Bigalreigned

Bigalreigned Well-Known Member

What did Cinderella say when she got to the ball?
    “Gag!”

8. TopBunk

TopBunk Active Member

I’m loving being a town fan for the first time in years….come on.

9. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

ROFL

10. Buckyohare

Buckyohare Well-Known Member

If coulson comes that’s the left side of the team sorted after Chaplin today. Guess Celina won’t happen though…? Now that would be fun!

With Penney and coulson in it would be a stronger side to the team than the right, which is easily the fastest right side of any team in the division with kvy and burns. I’m getting very excited now. This is weird.

Cook said on the ITFC website that Chaplin was the best finisher he’s ever worked with…blimey. If we get our **** together we really are going to be a goal fest this season and have a great group to go on and compete in the championship. This team is already light years ahead of our championship teams in the last few seasons. In fact I’d say it was better than the one that made the playoffs which was always light weight IMO and lucky to have a bloke who finally managed to score a few.

Southcoastoldgaffer and Nuggets like this.

11. Buckyohare

I’m not sure about that. The strategy will be based more on getting into the pl. as Hampy says; selling the best players isn’t going to yield enough plus it tears a hole in your team and is disruptive. Sure you keep the conveyor belt going but the cream goes it’s never an instant replacement. We never signed another Matt Holland as long as he played for us that I know of in case he got bought? Had he left before our PL years we’d have been totally derailed IMO.

the bottom line is even if you win the championship the prize money is £6m. Finishing last in the pl nets you £100m. Forget being a supporter, as an investor you’ll take that and aim to be resilient ans well organised like Norwich and bounce back up and eventually manage to stay there like Stoke, palace etc.

This is where my big question is over our new American friends; how much will they invest in football glory (ie staying in the PL) and forsake drawing some serious income for themselves? Time will tell. Let’s burn that bridge when we get to it. For now the journey up is going to be fun and hopefully about building a club deeply connected to the traditions and culture of Suffolk and ITFC. We wear the Suffolk punch on our crest; it’s an incredible animal bred for strength power and determination. Our team is shaping up in that image. We aren’t quite a man city so I expect some ups and downs at the business end of the football pyramid but with trust between owners and supporters we can ride it out…

12. stretchyboy

stretchyboy Well-Known Member

"We aren't quite a Man City"....

Best line I've heard in a while <laugh>

13. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

Not sure you can say we sold them for big fees, plus the sales of those three were years apart and so barely made a dent in the losses we made under Evans.

Southampton gradually grew into what they are now by selling players for big money, starting way back with Theo Walcott. It is possible to make profit, but not by selling players at 10m or less, that's not big money.

14. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

We have a completely different set up now. Evans sold the best and replaced with inferior. I can't see that happening any more.

We will be a selling club just like all the others outside of the top prem teams. Difference is we're not a soft touch now. Evans made deals were garbage and desperate, the deals Ashton makes will be on our terms with a clear plan for replacing the lost player plus decent sell on clauses to get maximum revenue.

Buckyohare likes this.
  15. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

Southampton have spent a grand total of seven seasons outside the top flight since the 1970s. We are absolutely nowhere near them.

16. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

Yeah, but they still had to claw their way back up from league one recently

17. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

That has nothing at all to do with our situation and they certainly didn’t have a strong financial footing from selling players to help them at that time because they went into administration!

All the ‘big money’ moves happened while the club was in the top flight, with the exception of the Ox and Bale. Both of those were at the club for a long time as a Premier League side.

By your reckoning, Walcott was not even a big money transfer.

18. Buckyohare

once we’re in the championship then we can attract some talent across the world and sometimes the odd one might be worth 10-50 mill if they happen to be a Goal scorer etc.

Totally agree San Diego we will be a selling club. Everyone is. I’m sure player sales are part of the plan to fund the club but they won’t support new acquisitions and dividends to the owners. We’ll soon hit mid table mediocrity in that scenario and start to get fed up with each other if that’s what they settle for.

I expect our team to be quite different in 3-4 years time and if they want big money we’ve got to plan and invest for the PL.

19. itfcptc

itfcptc Well-Known Member

We've always been a selling club and I think always will be (I don't think there are many clubs who aren't including even some of the big ones) it's how that money is invested which is most important.

Unfortunately under Evans we sold off all our talent and never replaced it or improved the squad so far that we got to a point over the past few years where we had a squad of players who couldn't be sold off because no one wanted them as whilst they had talent they were generally either injury prone or unproven (or both) which also led to an environment where our youngsters couldnt flourish and therefore develop for us to go on to sell them. In summary or club has been run appallingly for years whilst keeping the life support going.

I like Ashton, the professionalism and action he has brought straight away is a breath of fresh air, however I can see totally why Bristol City fans didn't like him in the end. It seems he likes the lime light, in all interviews so far he has not only been mentioned when a player signs but often is the person mentioned over the manager. My gut feeling at the moment is that a CEO should be in the background and it should be the manager and Chairman who are the face of the club.

Southcoastoldgaffer likes this.
  20. Nuggets

Nuggets Well-Known Member

I believe the summer transfer business so far has been encouraging, positive, and a massive step in the right direction. We've been crying out for this type of focused and sensible recruitment for years. I believe that every signing so far has offered a considerable improvement on the players that we've either sold or released. The new owners and backroom team definitely appear engaged, passionate, and intelligent in their decision-making and their methodology. We seem to have adopted 'the Brentford model' (a model I've persistently claimed we should adopt, for many years on this forum, so if it all goes tits up - I will tear up my sports journalism degree), which reflects the reality that we are a selling club (as itfcptc rightly points out) and we're recruiting the type of player that we can potentially sell on for profit.

I am a little pessimistic over the balance of the squad, as we ideally need a better left-back, another centre-back, a defensive midfielder, and possibly support for the right back position. However, I am confident we can address these issues and the players will adapt and executive Paul Cook's tactical instructions. We had many issues last season, but creating opportunities and scoring goals were probably the key reasons why we didn't get a top six place - Joe Pigott, Lee Evans, Conor Chaplin, Scott Fraser, and Wes Burns, while not fashionable names, are players that come with big reputations at their prior clubs and are coming into their prime footballing years. I struggle to understand how any Ipswich Town fan isn't feeling optimistic and positive about our club. Compare and contrast us to what we have been over the last decade or so, and it is night and day.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2021