1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Transfer Rumours Transfer Rumours thread

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by Bozz, Jun 17, 2011.

1. Zanjinho

Zanjinho Boom!
    Forum Moderator

Said it numerous times but... I think all three would be long gone by now if it hadn't been for the pandemic. Our policy is buy cheap and sell at peak. They've all passed their peak value.

M!LK likes this.
  2. Nozzer

Nozzer Well-Known Member

Are you Paul Pogba?

Spineless, lazy, (almost) bald, batard...

M!LK, Garlic Klopp, Zanjinho and 2 others like this.
  3. Nozzer

Nozzer Well-Known Member

Do we sell at peak though? The only big deals thaz spring to mind are players that actively wanted to leave like Coutinho, Suarez, Sterling and Torres. Sterling wasn't really peak yet, Torres was past peak (though that wasn't certain at the time), and we delayed the transfers of Suarez and Coutinho. I think we would have kept all of those if we could, and we tend to keep players til the end of their contracts because we value experience and their Integration in the group.

That said, I agree that without the pandemic at least one may well have left.

4. moreinjuredthanowen

Our policy is to win.

Not to sell.

We work smarter to win so it looks like we shop cheap.

It's that simple. There are some punts on players going on round the fringes but they are still buy smart and sell on.

johnsonsbaby likes this.
  5. InBiscanWeTrust

InBiscanWeTrust Rome, London, Paris, Rome, Istanbul, Madrid
    Forum Moderator

This. I think that was maybe the model before but we’re now one of the elite clubs in the world and players rarely leave us at their peak and why would we sell at their peak.

Maybe the pandemic played a part but there were still big deals being done during it.

Think we have changed philosophy now that we can keep these world class players because we are constantly challenging for titles. Now it’s a case of keep your best player and buy younger players in 22-24 age range to then replace and freshen up.

To be honest this is probably the first time in lfc career that klopp is having to rebuild the team. He’s added to it but our line up has been pretty consistent last 3 years.

Ali
    taa Matip vvd robbo
    hendo fab
    Salah firm mane

Other than LCM has been consistent for number of years now but 4 of those now in/approaching 30s and in a year or two could quite easily see Matip Hendo Salah firmino mane all gone/not first choice. How good klopp is at rebuilding s team will be put to the test. It’s something ferguson was brilliant at during most of his career,

saintKlopp likes this.
  6. moreinjuredthanowen

And equally klopp built a side from say 2015 to 2018 and has been tweaking it.

2018/19 = the first really competitive season and trophy.

It's natural that sides have to evolve. The difference between long term managers who succeed and don't is their ruthlessness imo.

Paisley changed his side at least 3 times.
    Ferguson kicked several players to touch over many iterations of his side.

Wenger...not so much too loyal.

So its now up to Klopp really.

Does the side age or does he freshen it up. Imo nows the time. Great work on getting Diaz and jota and driving success but now could be the time to tell forwards to **** off.

7. Jimmy Squarefoot

Jimmy Squarefoot Well-Known Member

We have to accept that the famous front 3 will be disbanded pretty soon, which is quite sad to see because they were the best attack in the world for a good period of time.

Don't think we can begrudge anyone for leaving as they have given us incredible years of service. Mo is most likely the one to stay for the next few years and whilst I would prefer Bobby to be the first to go, I think will be Mane. Mane became ineffective at LW for quite some time but then transitioned so well to the F9 role and he's now performing at such a high level.

Bobby on the other hand has regressed massively IMO to the point where his basic link up play is killing attacks.

8. Zanjinho

Zanjinho Boom!
    Forum Moderator

It already is mate, Bobby hardly gets a look in

Jimmy Squarefoot likes this.
  9. Jimmy Squarefoot

Yeah true. I was talking more about them leaving. Which is very sad to think about :(

johnsonsbaby and Zanjinho like this.
  10. Zanjinho

Zanjinho Boom!
    Forum Moderator

It is sad to see but I've seem many a big player leave over the years. No one will come close to how gutted I was when Fowler was sold

Jimmy Squarefoot likes this.

11. InBiscanWeTrust

InBiscanWeTrust Rome, London, Paris, Rome, Istanbul, Madrid
    Forum Moderator

Think it’s different now. We’ve all seen big and favourite players leave but this is prob the first time in most of our lives (those that weren’t around to see the great teams of 70s and 80s) that we’ve seen players who have brought a lot of success start to get old and leave.

most of the others have won the odd cup here and there and left for whatever reason. This group have helped transform us from 5th/6th to one of top 5 clubs in the world and sad that their best days now slowly fading behind them.

saintKlopp and Jimmy Squarefoot like this.
  12. Zanjinho

Zanjinho Boom!
    Forum Moderator

Guess depends hows you view football.

Entertainment > trophies

No one will come close to that moment I found out Fowler was leaving. I think age might have more to do with tbh

Plus, we've currently got a great setup with a brilliant manager so no concerns about replacing them like in previous years.

13. Garlic Klopp

Garlic Klopp Well-Known Member

I remember us selling Keegan, and everyone was sure the club would go backwards. Players come and go, they have short careers and even shorter peak period. As long as we plan ahead I have no concerns if each summer a few players leave and new ones fill the spaces.

14. LuisDiazgamechanger

Spanish club willing to sell Arnult Danjumo to Liverpool.

15. johnsonsbaby

johnsonsbaby Well-Known Member

I understand the head over heart argument I just find it hard to do <laugh>

Zanjinho likes this.
  16. LuisDiazgamechanger

Is Sadio Mane playing mind games especially to get a better deal?

17. Zanjinho

Zanjinho Boom!
    Forum Moderator

Mane leaving will be tougher than the other two for me. Bobby and Salah have looked like they've been off for a while imo

18. Jimmy Squarefoot

Mane was dreadful up until his recent move into F9. Mo has been poor since AFCON but understandable given the amount of games he's played.

Mo is the biggest loss, followed by Mane then Bobby I reckon ...

Zorba likes this.
  19. saintKlopp

Any particular Spanish club?

LuisDiazgamechanger likes this.
  20. johnsonsbaby

johnsonsbaby Well-Known Member

I think our main policy is to win as much as possible and we won't do that by selling off our best players. Out of interest who was the last player we sold at their peak? Possibly Coutinho but it's hard to tell because he wasn't featuring much for Barcelona. He possibly missed his peak performances by not being played. Torres was past his peak. Suarez, arguably.