1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Transfer Rumours Transfer Rumours - Summer 2018

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by SaintsForTheWin, May 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Whiteley Saint

Whiteley Saint Well-Known Member

2. VocalMinority

VocalMinority Well-Known Member

I'll just add that the income for that was based on the income from us finishing 8th. As such we had the 8th highest wage bill alongside the 9th highest income. This season we probably like 14th or something for income due to performance and have an even higher wage bill due to incomings and a lack of actual sales (mostly loans).

3. SaintinNZ

SaintinNZ Well-Known Member

I think if our strikers stay injury free and if they can get the goals flowing with help from the new boys we have had a strong window. we have signed good players and kept our best. Looking forward to seeing if the academy lads get a crack.

Going to miss tadic on the pitch.

4. Puck

Puck Well-Known Member

Well, “Going Nowhere!” is certainly an interesting choice of caption.

5. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

I think the boss would sack the guy who suggested he bought that machine. He did.

thereisonlyoneno7 and davecg69 like this.
  6. VVD

VVD Well-Known Member

I know MP was useless, but I don't think Mark Hughes is some attack minded tactical genius who is going to turn Gab, Aus, Long into a goal scoring force. We thought we could do well with those strikers, turned out we definitely couldn't, we signed one who turned out ****, lost him, so now we're back at square one. Presumably they wouldn't intentionally make the same mistake two seasons in a row so the money has us hamstrung which is a worry.

Libby likes this.
  7. Beddy

Beddy Plays the percentage

I dont think there is any doubt in many Saints fans mind that we need a different type of leadership. It does not look like our new owner is in any sort of position to invest in our club. My experience of accountants running a business normally means the business running flat with little or nil inward investment and with them running for cover when the **** hits the fan. Sorry to say that appears to be (to me) where we are with Saints at the moment. We insist on buying players that have not yet proved themselves at any level. Give them ridiculously long contracts in an attempt to keep any showing no more than a little promise. I accept that nobody has a crystal ball. It really does seem strange to me that players that were given long contracts soon seem to loose form. Or is it my imagination??
    Fraser was a typical example..........We are missing the right type of leadership both on the field and off it and sadly until we get someone at the helm that has got a bit of ummpff about them we are going to struggle. I hope I'm proven wrong but that's how the current leadership is making me feel at the moment..........

saint horatio likes this.
  8. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

I would be happy if Hughes plays a system that gets the ball to the strikers we have in the manner they prefer. We can't make a wish and get a quality striker in, but we would be ok if Austin, Gabbi and Long became the best they can be.....that would produce some very useful goals.

9. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

10. sotonsaint

sotonsaint Well-Known Member

Whilst not disappointed with the window as a whole, I still think the teams we will be competing with in the bottom of the table have done better business than us which is a worry. But we will see.

11. Libby

Libby 9-0

We spent a club record fee on a stopgap? Who on Earth sanctioned that?

It's why I used the word loan when mentioning a stop gap.

12. VocalMinority

VocalMinority Well-Known Member

Panic buy would be more appropriate. Although Pellegrino did outright say in an interview is was a replacement for Austin while he was injured.

13. Saints FC 76

Saints FC 76 Well-Known Member

The whole Carillo transfer is just a complete joke. We spent a record fee on a player that seemed only to be wanted by a manager on the verge of the sack. We then sack that manager and can only offload the player on loan back to that same manager less than 10 appearances later.

You might say backing the manager is what was needed, but we’ve always had a policy where the recruitment dept find players to suit us and the manager works with them. So why change all of a sudden for a dudd like MP? The board just seem like a shambles these days.

st_brendy, RSS, saint horatio and 6 others like this.
  14. saintrichie123

saintrichie123 Well-Known Member

Not a striker but ,Southampton are reportedly interested in making a deadline day acquisition of Valencia’s right-back Martin Montoya.

15. Wherefore art thou Romeu?

Wherefore art thou Romeu? Well-Known Member

Whilst I agree, we did really need a striker. And from MPs point of view he went with someone he could trust to try to save his job (and us from relegation). And looking at it positively for the future, a season in La Liga where he scored 10 goals or so would likely see us recoup most of our outlay in a transfer next season.

That's mostly me playing devils advocate, the board should never have sanctioned the signing.

16. Saintmagic

Saintmagic Well-Known Member

Lucas Perez moves from Arsenal to West Ham for £4m, think that is a very good bit of business.

17. saintrichie123

saintrichie123 Well-Known Member

Now for Welbeck to leave.....

18. thereisonlyoneno7

thereisonlyoneno7 Well-Known Member

It may be a crap deadline day, but I’m living the dream

please log in to view this image

Archers Road likes this.
  19. saintsfcfan

saintsfcfan Well-Known Member

Montoya has been excused from training today.

20. Saintmagic

Saintmagic Well-Known Member

Unsure on Welbeck really. Like him as a player (before injuries) but if he can't score regularly playing for United and Arsenal (when he was playing more often) then I can't see him being the answer to our goal scoring issues. He is more of a creative type forward to me, so I guess it is whether we think our strikers are actually goal scorers who don't get the right service, which Welbeck could help with.

We won't sign him anyway, but DEADLINE DAY so lets speculate

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.