1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Townsend called up for England

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by deedub93, Aug 27, 2013.

1. littleDinosaurLuke

littleDinosaurLuke Well-Known Member

Zaha has played for England since he was in the U-19s. 9 caps for the U-21s, he was always earmarked as a player to progress to the full international ranks.

He has been capped twice- the first in Nov 2012, two months before signing for Utd.

2. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

The signing had already been lauded in the media, but Zaha was fast-tracked to avoid a defection to the Ivory Coast.
    His form was eclipsed in the Championship by Tom Ince, who's yet to receive a call-up to the senior squad, for some reason.

3. littleDinosaurLuke

Both players did well for their clubs. Both made the PFA team.

There is one obvious way in which you are right. A player joining a leading club - whether it's Utd or Chelsea or Spurs or whoever - is going to usually receive better coaching, play alongside better players, have the best of all types of facilities available to him and therefore have the best chance to improve whether he is in the first XI or not. It's beneficial to England to nuture that talent too. Bear in mind that these are players the top clubs expect to be good enough to play in a team which competes for major trophies. So generally they will be players who have been identified as having a lot of raw talent. I don't see why any bias would be shown towards them, except because of that talent.

4. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

A few weeks of coaching is enough to make a player an England international now?

Let's face it, Ashley Young was on the fringes of the England team but as soon as he signed for Man Utd he was straight into the team. Carrick should've been in the England team when with us but wasn't, now he's a regular when he's not playing as well for Man Utd. Zaha played two pre-season friendlies for Man Utd and that makes him England standard?

The England team has always been run under the foolish belief the best English players play for the top English clubs, which patently isn't the case, and certainly signing for one of the top clubs doesn't make you a better player overnight.

5. Spurm

Spurm Well-Known Member

Let them pick utd players, the more the better. England are a waste of space

6. notsosmartspur

notsosmartspur Well-Known Member

...and don't forget one goal a season Welbeck. How the bejeezus does a striker with one ****in PL goal keep getting picked for England all through last season.....HOW???

A player that can be described as one who has scored more goals in one half this season, than the entire previous season shouldn't be International quality...unless you're Woy or Luke. <doh>

I can't see the worth of this guy atm, really good misses is all I see.

7. No Kane No Gain

No Kane No Gain Well-Known Member

He does play a bit better for England but that's kind of ignoring that it should be easy for even the most average player to look good against San Marino and Moldova.

I picked him and Rose out as the two talents in an average looking England under 17 side a few years ago and unfortunately he's become a perfect example of how English players have been developed with little forsight. He's fast and as he matured he built up some strength but all he knows is how to poach and drift into channels, no one's ever got him working on his technique so his touch is awful and he has a limited understanding of the game.

8. Spurf

Spurf Thread Mover
    Forum Moderator

9. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

I was surprised when I read about AVB not being happy about it.

I think it's great exposure for the club (even though I actually hate it when players go on Int. Duty as they come back injured!) and it's a brilliant achievement for our academy too to see a prospect go all the way. I think Townsend's call-up isn't just based on his recent Spurs performances, he was QPR's shining light last season so I'd like to think Hodgson has been considering him for some time.

I understand the fact that AVB not being consulted may have annoyed him and that's fair but I think he/ we should be happy for Andros none the less.

10. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

I think that Villas-Boas is annoyed at the possibility that Townsend will be left out of future squads, regardless of how he performs for either us or England.
    As he hinted in the interview, some players are pulled into the squad to make up for absences and then discarded without a further thought, leaving the club to clear up the mess.
    Players return thinking that they've either done something wrong or need to change something to get back into the side, which unsettles them.

11. Spurm

Spurm Well-Known Member

His main gripe, from reading it, seemed to be that players are called up willy-nilly and then dumped. He mentioned Caulker and Livermore. I guess he is concerned that such treatment by England affects a players confidence and if they are calling up these young players they should be given a fair crack and be in subsequent squads (as a minimum) an not just used and dumped

Edit - damnit PNP, thats twice in under 24hrs you've done that!

12. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

Ninja'd, biatch! :emoticon-0170-ninja

I'm sure you'll do the same to me too, Spurm. I'll delete it if you do, but you'll still know. <whistle>

13. Spurf

Spurf Thread Mover
    Forum Moderator

He does it all the time Spurm only ONCE have I managed to 'get in' before PNP. He's a monster! <laugh>

14. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

please log in to view this image

Look at that happy, smiling face! <laugh> Nice to see someone really enjoying the Europa League.
    Given a chance to impress and he's done so.

15. Spurm

Spurm Well-Known Member

Can you delete him? Or would that just start a mod war?

16. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

Looks more like Soldado is checking him for testicular cancer a bit too vigorously...

17. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Yeah that's understandable but then when it comes to Huddlestone/ Livermore/ Caulker they weren't getting enough club football to merit England places (though that hasn't stopped others making it before). If Townsend impresses for us and England then Hodgson would be foolish to drop him.

I can see AVB's gripe though, here's hoping Townsend takes his chances.

18. littleDinosaurLuke

It's not just football where players are identified as future internationals at an early stage.

The England cricket team persevered along time with Bell and Anderson before they came good. Broad and Cook came into the team when still raw and hadn't made an impression in county cricket. The likes of Root have benefited from a system which plans their route (no pun) from schoolboy to Test player.

English football is trying to develop a production line for players rather than hand out caps to everyone who plays well for their club for a handful of games.

19. Spurm

Spurm Well-Known Member

Thats different as in cricket the players are basically withdrawn from their clubs and get most of the training and matches with England. They play very few games for their counties, just look at the averages. They play maybe 10-20% of county games, sometimes none.

It might work for football, but how many clubs would allow their player to be developed with the main aim being england?

20. littleDinosaurLuke

Yes, Spurm, that is a big difference, I agree, but from the F.A's perspective the England national team is the priority and they want to implement similar systems to coach and develop young English players.

The clubs have been forced to look more closely at developing "homegrown" players, but the rules are not farreaching enough if you want the strongest possible England team. In reality, club football is more powerful and more important to fans so the methods will only succeed with the cooperation of the clubs.

But going back to the original point, developing young players is the reason why Smalling is chosen over Dawson and why Townsend and Barkley are in this squad.