1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Tottenham vs Liverpool - Reaction

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by Salah's-left-foot, Sep 18, 2011.

1. Salah's-left-foot

Salah's-left-foot Well-Known Member

First of all, this isn't a huge analysis on the match today.

I'd like to put things in perspective. Today we knew we were weakened, Kelly, Johnson and Gerrard amongst the absentees.

The line up consisted of a 4-4-2, that was the first problem, why 4-4-2? We needed to deal with their strong midfield and hit them on the counter really, we should have played a 4-2-3-1, the four in defence, the two midfielders to drop back and secure the gap on the right of the defence (Likely to be exposed by Gareth Bale). We needed a strong attack but players who can still come back and deal with any potential threats. We needed hard working, experienced players who can also help our new players settle and link up with the regulars.

We should have had Kuyt over Henderson, why? Kuyt is a hard working player who could have easily contributed to the front line whilst still maintaining a strong performance in our own half, he could have helped Charlie Adam and Lucas when we were being overrun in midfield and could have even help deal with the threat of Gareth Bale. Skrtel on the right wasn't the problem in my opinion, Flanagan isn't ready, which he proved against Sunderland and he just lacks the experience to deal in the situations where it would otherwise require a young player a few seconds to decide what to do. Kuyt on the right would have not only helped Suarez in the attack but given Skrtel a bit of of a breather in defence.

With Carroll upfront, Suarez just behind him (Possibly interchangable if we were struggling defensively further), Kuyt on the right and Downing on the left we would have been more than threatning in attack. Charlie Adam's passing has recently been poor but with those players in front he wouldn't be required to try and plough one through 4 players in order to form some sort of an attack.

The match began and we were all over the place, no cover, no player to win the ball and keep it, no player to instigate an attack or build on possesion. We lacked urgency in defence and generally had a poor performance. This was not helped by poor refereeing decisions which also resulted in Suarez recieving a yellow card for clapping his hands sarcastically at the linesman (What has the world come to?). Spurs were great, well worked goals and a strong performance. May I also take this chance to congratulate Ledley King on his first consecutive start/appearance in God knows how long, and on Adebayor's first goals at White Hart Lane aswell as congratulating them for such a good performance and well deserved victory.

Overall we had some problems, we had tactics which were outdone, we had players who didn't fit in their roles properly, we never had players that would compliment each other's strengths and just had a bad day. There is no need to come and be like 'OMG KK needs to be sacked, WTF is he playing at' etc etc.

Let's accept the result, accept the performance, try to improve, get a good run starting from Wednesday and continue to do what we do best, back not only our team and managerl, but back our club.

And you've probably seen this from what I've posted before, but for those who haven't..

"A bad day at the office. But some so-called fans need to look up the words 'loyalty' and 'legend' in their dictionaries. If they can actually read that is. You'll never walk alone, King Kenny. Anfield was not rebuilt in a day!"" (From JZ, Liverpool Supporter)

Upwards and onwards, keep your head up and You'll never walk alone!

Side note: We've had some problems concerning the board on match days, WUM's seem to be loving our 'OMG Downfall, no more KK honeymoon' defeats, but I urge all true Liverpool FC supporters to not involve themselves in any relatiations or anything that might make the situation worse. (Including creating your own WUM threads). I'm going to contact a Super+ moderator to get some stricter guidelines on WUMming on match days, until then, sit tight.

2. RushFowlerGerrard

Kuyt would have deffo helped!

3. Zingy

Zingy #ziggywould

Ynwa!

4. Salah's-left-foot

Sarcastic or genuine?

(I feel so slow <doh>)

5. Elpistoleros magic feet

I agree with that. If something isn't done to prevent wumming this forum could get nasty and could result in wide-spread bans. Some people may post things they normally wouldn't post, and some people cough Man United fans cough have a tendency to get personal. So there should be a large scale ban on wums, anyone attempting to wum should be banned.

6. kph103

kph103 Well-Known Member

"I'd like to put things in perspective. Today we knew we were weakened, Kelly, Johnson and Gerrard amongst the absentees."

And I thought we had a big enough and good enough squad to deal with these abentees!! I am very disappointed,we were unlucky to loose at Stoke but this is like a huge step back to the dark days of 12 months ago.
    In fact i think this defeat feels worse than any last season under Hodgson simply because our expectations have been raised so highly by our transfer dealings.It's time now for the big money signings and big money earners to stand up and show us what they are made of.Our away form for some seasons now has not been good enough,we play so defensively away from home..why?? Surely, just because we are not at home we can still play with the same attacking intent.
    I know some will say it's an over reaction but 2 defeats on the trot make the raw nerve ends that were healing feel very painful once again.

7. David Ngod

David Ngod Member

i was working so didnt catch the game but it seems the red cards were deserved and we could of lost by alot more, what went wrong boys? im absolutely gutted

8. Salah's-left-foot

Skylarker wasn't available to hand KK the team sheet and explain the system aswell as holding the fans' confidence together, we need him back.

9. Chris.

Chris. #bringbackchris

Good analysis Jatt!

We just weren't good enough today. Can't complain about it. We need to get back to Melwood, sort it out and look forward to Wednesday.

YNWA.

10. Zingy

Zingy #ziggywould

Skylarker is in London this weekend at the game. He said he was doing the team talks. If you want to blame anyone for the result...blame him.

11. kph103

kph103 Well-Known Member

:emoticon-0106-cryinPerhaps we are just gonna concentrate on the cups?:emoticon-0106-cryin

12. Salah's-left-foot

Time to kill <devil>

13. The artist JerryChristmas

The artist JerryChristmas "Massive old member"

Agree with match reaction all in all <ok> We got it wrong tactically but we live and learn. We desperately need Kelly or Johnson back fit soon and with the impending suspension of Adam (hopefully only for one game) we must be grateful at least that Stevie G is on the way back.

Without doubt we needed Dirk on the pitch today, not sure why he didn't play but think he must be returned to the team asap especially with his link up play working so well with Suarez. At the moment I'm even thinking I'd like us to play with Kuyt and Suarez up front against Wolves and have Maxi play instead of Hendo who again gave the impression that he needs more time to develop before being considered as an automatic starter.

I for one never expected everything in the garden to be rosey this year and still expect our form to pick back up pretty quickly, especially as we were definately unlucky last week. Today was a bad day and a certain amount of (constructive) criticism is justified but maybe it just puts a slightly more realistic perspective on things for us going forward.

A tough one to stomach today and much improvement needed over the coming months <ok>

14. Salah's-left-foot

I want to see a front line of Maxi, Kuyt and Suarez again.

15. Zingy

Zingy #ziggywould

Yeah, I miss Maxi. Always put in a good shift under Kenny. <ok>

16. Lclettis337

Lclettis337 New Member

Hey guys today was woefull i hate losing to that tax dodging **** head... But I'm a little worried I know it's only early season but losin 4 nil can't b good 4 top 4 ambitions ... Do u think kenny is being to kind on players ? Not giving bollockings when due ? Hence the sendings off today... I'm so confused to why he put skertle in that role against bale today... he has some really good games but is a hacker at times and think he deserved to b sent off... Omg torres has just missed a sitter :-/ wat a **** score line... Anyway Im depressed just hope we get a reasult at brighton and kick on from there... Stevie should be back so that boasts morale...

17. wishiwasinliverpool

wishiwasinliverpool Well-Known Member

I don't know about that but I am confused about his attitude with Carroll. Capello says there's a problem with him, Kenny disagrees. Who's right? What I don't think is he's worth £35 million.

And we can't blame Poulsen or Konchesky for this one, so something's wrong.

18. Welshred

Welshred Member

I dont think we can use injuries as an excuse, gerrards been out ages so the only real change from the other games was at right back. I think we just never got going with our passing.

I also think the guy who said we shouldve gone 3 in the middle is right, player for player I got to admit we were no match for them in midfield Modric is a far better midfielder than adam and parker is a far better defensive midfielder than lucas. I think a midfield of Spearing Lucas and Henderson wouldve been a bit stronger and harder for them to break through. Please god let this game be the last of Skrtel at right back what a mare. Wheres Flanaghan gone?

Anyone else worried by the number of players in our side who can't tackle? Skrtel Adam and lucas cant make a clean tackle to save their lives we must give away more fouls than any other team in the league.

19. Lclettis337

Lclettis337 New Member

Hey wishi :) u ok ? I remember u from 606 ... Carrol ain't the man for me really.. I honestly think he loves his booze to much so won't set anfield alight.. We have played bloody well so far though

20. Zingy

Zingy #ziggywould

Spearing and Lucas is what we need. Reform the Spucas partnership!