1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Tottenham in the Summer Transfer window - 2013 edition!

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by Moorpheus19, Apr 27, 2013.

1. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

A quick guide to who signed who...
    Jol: Bale, Kaboul*, Lennon, Dawson, Defoe*, Huddlestone, Benny, Rose
    Ramos: Gomes, Bentley, Bostock
    Harry: Sandro, Kaboul*, Defoe*, Walker, Parker, Adebayor*, Gallas, Friedel, Naughton, Falque, Luongo, Khumalo
    Andre: Vertonghen, Dembele, Lloris, Sigurdsson, Holtby, Adebayor*, Dempsey

2. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I think that Luke Shaw's destined to take over from Cole at Chelsea, unfortunately. He's a Chelsea fan and they've already been linked with him.
    He's been valued at fairly silly money too, as they've got a bit now at Southampton.

3. The Mighty Thor

The Mighty Thor Well-Known Member

Are you sure it was Jol and not Ramos who signed Bale?

4. remembercolinlee

remembercolinlee Well-Known Member

Bale played and scored v arsenal in sept 07 and played in our 125 match v villa in oct 07 when jol was still our manager

5. O.Spurcat

O.Spurcat Well-Known Member

It was Martin Jol who signed Bale.

6. Spudulike

Spudulike Well-Known Member

Who we buy and who we don't buy is one thing but for heaven's sake, can Levy stop with the eleventh hour crap! Only once in recent seasons did we sign a player even before the transfer window had opened and that was Modric. He was in the stands to watch our last couple of games of the season. We know how well that turned out. History proves last gasp signings turn out to be utter s***e so please Levy.... stop this nonsense and see how much difference it can make to get the right players in early, even if it does cost a few extra mil.

I truly feel one point could cost us forth this season. One point.... just think of the difference one marquee signing could have made not only to our season ending position but the financial gains from being in the CL next season. Sometimes, I think our Chairman can be rather short sighted.

7. The Mighty Thor

The Mighty Thor Well-Known Member

VdV wasn't ****e and he was signed on the 11th hour.

8. Moorpheus19

Moorpheus19 Well-Known Member

Levy is just trying to make the money work as hard as possible - buy for as little as possible, sell for as much. In economical terms, it makes perfect sense - plus it's good for the club (mostly) - he's careful with the wage structure and he recognises the limitations of our small stadium with how much he spends versus how much is coming in every week.

But sometimes you wonder if his pride gets the better of him as he does seem unwilling to meet people halfway when it comes to transfers. That 'mostly' I put in brackets earlier is where his refusal to stump up an additional few million means we miss out on CL and get EL, which can lead to a £25m punch in the face. He doesn't look so clever then... and we all get annoyed for a season!

9. Spudulike

Yes however, if my recollection is right... he was contacted by Real Madrid and offered him at a cut price deal as they wanted him off their books. He was never on Levy's radar so he can't take credit for that. Just in the right place at the right time.

10. NSIS

NSIS Well-Known Member

It's not really the point. The point is that if you leave everything until the last minute, as Levy is prone to doing, you leave yourself no time for negotiation if the other party moves the goalposts.

Besides, everybody knows what Levy's game is by now. If they think he's trying to effectively, "take the piss" with these last minute tactics, that may well lead them to being unnecessarily obdurate.

Also, it can lead you to end up with Clint Dempsey!..

11. Spudulike

Nailed it!

12. Roo

Roo Well-Known Member

Also, the 11th hour signings are always about 3 games into the season. Look at our results from our first 3 games because we werent prepared. Not to mention the fact that those new players get no preseason with their new team mates.
    It's a stupid policy for many reasons.

13. redwhiteandermblue

redwhiteandermblue Well-Known Member

Nope. We don't lose our best player every year. I guess that's hard for you to wrap your head around.

14. redwhiteandermblue

redwhiteandermblue Well-Known Member

Levy's record lately has been excellent in terms of signings for the money. Dempsey's the bust of the lot this year, but even he's scored some huge goals (not that he's done much else).

But...I tend to think if he'd paid for Moutinho we'd be in the CL next year (plus 25 million), and only have spent 10-15 million more (wouldn't have gotten Dembele). Getting your manager, then deciding not to stump up for his main man is penny wise/pound foolish.

15. Wandering Yid

Wandering Yid Well-Known Member

I'd love to see us sign Hernandez - doesn't look happy playing a bit part at united, which will be even more the case if they sign another striker. Has a staggering goals/minutes ratio.

16. Spurm

Spurm Well-Known Member

I want a fairly quiet window tbh. I think the squad is solid in most positions and too many ins and outs will disrupt

In:
    Remy - will be available, done fairly well in PL so far. Levy price. Will provide an option on the right of a 3 also.
    Benteke - young and not mega mega expensive (but will be fairly costly).
    Smith - promote up. Walker desperately needs competition, although i don't think Walker is finished at Spurs, he was good last season.
    Townsend - recall. Cover/start on either wing as needed.
    Rose - recall. Shown he can handle the PL. Also cover for left wing.
    Unknown GK - either 2nd of 3rd choice depending on who we have coming up from youth?

Out:
    Ade - I dunno where, or who will take him
    Naughton - AVB clearly doesn't fancy him at RB, and he clearly isn't a LB.
    Gallas - glue factory

Squad
    1 - Lloris
    2 - Brad
    3 - New GK
    4 - Benny
    5 - Rose
    6 - Walker
    7 - Smith (21, so needs a squad spot)
    8 - Daws
    9 - Verts
    10 - KaBOOM
    11 - Caulker
    12 - Bale
    13 - Townsend
    14 - Lennon
    15 - Parker
    16 - Sandro
    17 - Hudd
    18 - Holtby
    19 - Siggy
    20 - Dembele
    21 - Carroll (needs a 25 man squad place this year i believe)
    22 - Defoe
    23 - Remy
    24 - Benteke
    25 - Dempsey (despite looking "a bit ****", he has chipped in with 10+ goals this season)
    Kane (young enough to not need
    Coulthirst

17. Roo

Roo Well-Known Member

We need some more goals from Midfield, Spurm. It's pathetic how many they all have between them. We struggle to break teams down at times too. I think a VDV type is needed, but maybe someone a little more versatile.

BBC gossip are saying that Rose is an 8mill target for Sunderland.

18. Spurm

Spurm Well-Known Member

I think Holtby has the ability to do that. People seem to forget he is still settling in to the team and the league. Also, Carroll, who i would really like to get some serious game-time.

It depends what you count has midfield too. If you count Bale and Dempsey as midfield then they have 35 goals between them. Its the number of goals from up front that is pathetic imo

19. notsosmartspur

notsosmartspur Well-Known Member

The likes of Lennon, Dembele, and Parker all have poor goal records, with all 3 on the pitch, the burden is basically left to 2 others plus Dempsey. This is not new, nor is it likely to change. Chuck in Hudd who has never had a good season goalwise (mystery!) Sig, who hasn't weighed in this season, and we still await Holtbys first. From defence, only JV with a useful contribution, Daws one or two...and nothing from the fullbacks <yikes>.

This 'creative' midfielder' we feel we need MUST be a goalscorer, it has to be someone who consistantly gives you 5 or more, 10 would be nice, but not less than 5, we have too many of those.

20. NSIS

NSIS Well-Known Member

It looks as if a certain Mr Lampard will be available on a free very soon. Obviously not a long term solution, but he's a class act who also scores goals. Anybody?