1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Tottenham Hotspur vs Arsenal - Matchday Thread

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by BrunelGunner, May 8, 2022.

1. BrunelGunner

BrunelGunner Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

please log in to view this image

Venue: The Tottenham Hotspur Stadium
    Date: Thursday 12th May 2022
    KO time: 19:45 GMT

Overall Record

Wins: 84
    Losses: 66
    Draws: 54

Last six meetings

Arsenal 3-1 Tottenham Hotspur
    Arsenal 2-1 Tottenham Hotspur
    Tottenham Hotspur 2-0 Arsenal
    Tottenham Hotspur 2-1 Arsenal
    Arsenal 2-2 Tottenham Hotspur
    Tottenham Hotspur 1-1 Arsenal

2. TheBear

TheBear Well-Known Member

Hard one to predict.

If we played like we did against Leeds we will lose for sure but If we play like we did against Chelsea/United we can get the win.

straycat_67 likes this.
  3. straycat_67

straycat_67 Well-Known Member

Or if we can play somewhere in between and get a draw (more realistic), I'm fine with that too ;) COYG!

4. BrunelGunner

Forum Moderator

I would be very happy with a draw.

They need to win. We do not.

They will also be doing everything in their power to make sure we don’t secure CL qualification at their place.

The atmosphere is going to be more hostile than usual because of what is on the line.

The TV broadcasters must be chortling to themselves. They’ve really played a blinder by rescheduling the NLD for this stage of the season when we both have something to play for.

4 months later ffs <laugh>

Let’s hope the narrative works in our favour

5. Quilllogic

Quilllogic Active Member

Spurs are on fire at the moment so we will need to up our game.
    If only we had got a measly point from each of the games against Palace, Brighton and Southampton we would be in a fairly comfortable position but as usual we love to do it the hard way

6. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

This NLD is ****ING MASSIVE !

So much riding on it.

Whatever happens tomorrow, we need to make sure we don't lose this game.

7. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

A draw would suit us tonight.

Not sure how we should approach this one tbh. Part of me thinks we should take the game to spurs and make them defend, but then they are very good on the counter with Son and Kane and could punish us. We could sit back, but it would put our defence under pressure, although that said, we are also pretty good on the counter with players like Odergaard and Saka.

So much riding on this game, I've been nervous for about a week already.

It's gonna be torture watching this one tonight.

gooner4ever likes this.
  8. cini65

cini65 Well-Known Member

Not sure I can watch it. Might just sit in silence waiting for my phone to buzz with notifications...

9. Citizen Kane.

Citizen Kane. Well-Known Member

Just said on our board I don't remember the last NLD that carried so much weight. For years you were miles ahead of us, then we were (less so) miles ahead of you, then more recently it was a showcase of two ****e midtable sides trying their hardest to play elite level football.

Hasn't felt this significant since we beat you at WHL in the last NLD there to ensure we would finish above you for the first time since forever. That was 5 years ago. Have there been any more significant meetings since?

10. cini65

cini65 Well-Known Member

Every single time we've beaten you it's obviously been absolutely pivotal. When you beat us, it's been games that don't matter of course.

Citizen Kane. and PINKIE like this.

11. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

This is the most important NLD since we won the league at your gaff back in 2004.

Huge amount riding on this game. A top 4 finish, champions league and the money and prestige that comes with it. And the ability to attract top talent in the summer window too.

I think you will win your last two games against Burnley and Norwich, so this is a game we absolutely must not lose.

12. Mantis

Mantis Well-Known Member

I think we've played extremely poorly at their ground in recent years. However, one thing to bear in mind is that we usually rock up there in the middle of an end-of-season slump. I don't think I remember us playing when we actually have any momentum like now. It's hard to tell exactly how this one will go. I don't expect us to collapse, but then they might suddenly play freakishly well. My prediction is a hard-fought 1-1 draw and Arsenal to seal CL qualification on Monday against a Newcastle side with little to play for.

13. Citizen Kane.

I've resigned myself to the fact that you're getting CL football. It's a matter of when rather than if at this stage. So while a draw is of little use to us, my main concern is to avoid the unthinkable which is you securing said CL spot on our own turf. It would be the worst NLD outcome since you won the league at WHL.

14. Mantis

Mantis Well-Known Member

To give Spurs credit, I think the new gaffer has given you a structure and identity. Games against Liverpool and City have proved that they have the quality to mix it up with anyone but they can't seem to sustain those kinds of performances over more than a few games. If they could replicate that form consistently, they would be one of the top teams in Europe. Wherever they finish this season, I am sure they can only improve next season

Citizen Kane. likes this.
  15. Citizen Kane.

If we keep hold of Conte, I agree. His gravitas plus our newly raised wage ceiling will help bridge the recruitment gap left by a lack of CL football, I feel.

We have improved immensely defensively having offered the resistance of a damp tissue under Maureen and Nuno, but we are still prone to the occasional horror show which usually happens if Kane and Son have an off day at the same time, as aside from them our team is a mix of inexperienced prospects and bang average stocking fillers.

Our main weakness is our inability to break down stubborn defences, which is why we did so well against City and Pool as they both play a high, expansive defensive line which is exactly what we are best at exploiting with our front 3. There is still an Eriksen shaped hole in the team and our WBs aren't really WBs as 3 out of 4 of them can't cross the ball, so against a low block with a packed defence, we struggle.

You'd be foolish to try to go toe to toe with us as we'll pick you off on the counter. I imagine Arteta will sit deep and hope to hit us on the counter himself, which is probably your best hope and will probably result in a draw which is an excellent result for you.

16. TheBear

TheBear Well-Known Member

Tough game to predict.

Spurs are on the better run of form overall but.. we have fairly recently beaten United, West Ham and Chelsea so who knows?

Son is their danger man for sure.

I'm hoping Saka is fully fit because he's an absolute nightmare to defend against when he's on form.

gooner4ever likes this.
  17. Citizen Kane.

Romero is out injured.

Game over.

Congrats on getting top 4.

My only grievance is that the pathetic decision to postpone this fixture has predictably ended up punishing us as we are now playing it with 4 key players out injured.

18. Bergkamp10

Bergkamp10 Active Member

Nervous going into this one...Will watch the game on the treadmill to relax :)... Spurs on a role and playing well, and we have won our last 3... We need to start positively and finish the chances we will create unlike against Leeds and we should do it. coyg

19. BrunelGunner

Forum Moderator

Can we send Paul Tierney into the sun? He’s one of the worst referees I’ve ever seen.

That doesn’t excuse Holding’s total idiocy, but **** me, he’s awful.

20. BrunelGunner

Forum Moderator

And Spurs score a 2nd from a corner that began with Hojbjerg standing on Saka’s foot. Fabulous.