1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Tottenham Hotspur v West Ham United

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by PleaseNotPoll, Oct 22, 2021.

1. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Whether anyone is ENIC in or out, essentially no one can realistically answer that question in my opinion.

Owners in football aren't like players or managers where you get to see how they do at different clubs and then say "I want them". Most owners of clubs are new to the game and often only ever own one club in their lifetime (Redbull and CFG as exceptions obviously). Very rarely do we see owners buy one club, sell it and then buy another. So therefore I don't see there being a list of people/ companies that I think you can compile.

I guess you can list generic names like Jeff Bezos, Elon Musk, Bill Gates, James Dyson etc. They're all well known mega rich people who could easily afford ENIC's valuation whatever that may be. Or someone like Steve Nash, who was rumoured at one point as wanting to own us but it would've been via a consortium.

2. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

In other words, mate... We're ****ed <laugh>

3. remembercolinlee

remembercolinlee Well-Known Member

I teach mate...why use two words when 300 will do <laugh>

Lovearsenalcock and Dier Hard like this.
  4. Left on the Shelf

Left on the Shelf Well-Known Member

As per usual I find myself in agreement, but no more so than this paragraph. The fall from grace has been dramatic.

I don't doubt DL in his commitment to the club. I think he is a fan-owner and believes he is doing his best for the club. But his overall management of the club for the last 3-4 years has been something of a disaster (including aspects of the new stadium) and as the head of any other corporate entity would likely have been shown the door by now.

It is time for a change, but as is often said, be careful what you wish for! :emoticon-0107-sweat

5. "Thanks for that Brian"

"Thanks for that Brian" Well-Known Member

More interesting are the rumours that ENIC have had at least couple of offers in the last 2 or 3 years. None of them have been accepted and it's alleged that the closest to success was a bid to buy 50% at a cost of £1.5 billion, which without the NFL tie in, is seriously overblown.

However, I can't help but think that the club's future will be decided by the NFL link. The Americans aren't going to want an NFL stadium to be in the hands of a middle eastern state or Russian oligarch and PL clubs are selling well in America. The stadium's been built as an American stadium. If a franchise is established in London, there's a chance for the club to be sold to/shared with an American billionaire.

If Khan didn't own Fulham and hadn't fallen out with Daniel over Wembley, I'd suggest him, but I doubt it now. However, ENIC won't own it forever. Nothing lasts that long.

6. District Line

District Line Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

United is a fairly winnable game for Nuno if he adopts the same tactics as he did against City. United under OGS are incapable of beating deep block teams so that should be the way forward for Nuno to buy him more time. If Nuno loses on Saturday I don't think it would be reactionary to say he has to go.

7. crackerman jack

crackerman jack Well-Known Member

Oh we will definitely lose to United. We are the perfect opposition for them to face right now. Dr Tottenham to the rescue. And when Ole has badly needed a result he generally has got one

8. The RDBD

The RDBD Well-Known Member

League Cup tie at Burnley + home game to mauled United.
    If last week is anything to go by, Nuno will be gone by monday.

9. remembercolinlee

remembercolinlee Well-Known Member

Only 7 hrs left for that to happen <whistle>

10. The RDBD

The RDBD Well-Known Member

More than 7 hrs left (for the UK timezone) .

11. Left on the Shelf

Left on the Shelf Well-Known Member

Thanks a bunch for reminding me about the Burnley game! <doh>

remembercolinlee likes this.
  12. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

The obvious issue is how, on paper, we have a squad to follow Nuno’s tactics from Wolves perfectly, as the tactics involved getting it out to the wide areas where Traore etc would cause havoc, either moving into space to score or teeing up Jiminez, something which you can see working with Son and Bergwijn/Gil off Kane

The issue is that Wolves had Moutinho and Neves in the middle threading passes out wide or through the middle, so all it took was one pass to break the lines and send them on their way. On the other hand we don't have anyone comparable, and the closest is being deployed as an AM entirely because they can't play as a CM

True, there is an obvious point about how we're not deploying Hojbjerg as advanced as the Danish team do, or for that matter Mason certainly used him in a more advanced role than Nuno does (albeit due to Lo Celso being injured and Ndombele benched), and this does lead to questions about if we're set up to move the ball so cautiously entirely because we don't have direct equivalents of Moutinho or Neves which does make it a tactical decision, although that certainly puts a chunk of the blame on Paratici’s shoulders for not bringing in a key component of the system

PleaseNotPoll likes this.
  13. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

I’d say a bigger issue than all that though is that no one wants to watch us play like his Wolves side.

Paratici royally ****ed it with this appointment.

remembercolinlee and KingHotspur like this.
  14. BobbyD

BobbyD President

True who else was paratici going to employ. Levy wouldn't fork out for potter and conte found out levy didn't have any cash.

Wasnt he paraticis 7th choice

15. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

He was Paratici’s 2nd or 3rd, but overall the club’s 7th or 8th as we were manager searching before Paratici was announced.

Even Fonseca on paper actually looked a better bet and yet for some reason Paratici pulled the plug at the last minute for Nuno… I mean… ****ing hell.

16. "Thanks for that Brian"

"Thanks for that Brian" Well-Known Member

Exactly. Paratici's courting of Gattuso remains shocking to pretty much everyone, but without success, we'd supposedly looked (with more or less intent) at Nagelsmann, Flick, Rodgers, Potter, ten Haag, Gerrard, Pochettino, Fonseca, Uncle Tom Cobley and all. I'm not sure who was left to us?

I'm sceptical about Paratici and his suitability to this club, but we'd got to a point where someone had to make a decision. Sure, it was obviously a rotten one...but whose fault it was, is less clear or it's on all of their heads.

17. vimhawk

vimhawk Well-Known Member

For the record I didn't say that.

And like PaulthePlug earlier, I too am interested to hear who those owners should be. Personally I'm in the 'better the devil you know' camp, because new ownership gives ample opportunity to go to an unsavoury individual / organisation / country. And that I cannot accept. But perhaps you can.

So while an owner with an unblemished background that puts in all the money and expects nothing out (and doesn't have to live by any normal accounting practice) may well be ideal, reality may be far different. So, for example, would the Saudi's have been suitable owners for Spurs? Because once up for sale I'm not sure the club is going to anyone other than the highest bidder.

18. humanbeingincroydon

Paratici ****ed it by not providing at least one CM who could, you know, have us playing like his Wolves side

Considering he stuck his neck out to identify Nuno, the least he could have done was secure a player who would actually have us playing the same way, rather than effectively give him a clock that's missing the minute hand

19. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Paratici was also rumoured to have convinced Levy that Nuno was adaptable with his tactics and therefore likely wouldn’t have expected Nuno to try and set Tottenham up like his Wolves side - which zero Spurs fans want and would’ve gone against the statement Levy made prior about bringing back exciting football.

Evidently, Nuno isn’t adaptable, he’s pretty unimaginative and uninspiring.

20. humanbeingincroydon

I believe I said it before, but the likes of Dan KP were saying that Levy wanted a manager who played 3ATB, which is where courting both Conte and Fonseca makes a lot of sense as they tend to set their teams up in that way

Then Paratici comes in and says, no, we need a back four. And that is fair enough, mainly as I can't think of any reliable combination of midfielders on our books to play 343 as half of them are good at retaining the ball but lack the killer touch while the other have the killer touch but would see us overrun when we don't have the ball, especially considering our personnel were mainly signed to play in a 4231

So then he brings in Nuno, who used a 532 at Wolves, and adapting to a 433 only served to demonstrate that we're a midfielder short of being able to actually play that system effectively