1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Tottenham Hotspur v West Ham United

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by PleaseNotPoll, Sep 21, 2017.

1. Up to 3-0 we had 11 players and Sissoko hadn't previously gone AWOL at the far post. It then took too long after the sending off to make the changes to balance the side. Trippier and Llorente should have appeared much sooner.
    And for clarification, I don't think that anyone on here realistically thinks we are in title contention this year - but thanks for the thoughts!! <laugh>

remembercolinlee likes this.
  2. The RDBD

The RDBD Well-Known Member

I will get my answer to that once Spurs come out of the Xmas PL fixtures.

3. The Changing Man

The Changing Man Well-Known Member

Did our defence look that uncomfortable under pressure? The first goal was poor for reasons previously noted, the 2nd was a storming header from a superb cross, other than that Lloris made 1 save from the cheating mexican and Vertonghen once again looked imperious, did Andy Carrol win a header in our box (or out of it). And whilst its not in my nature to praise the spammers they were playing their cup final against 10 men and they were in the ascendancy but it was mainly agricultural with too little quality (2nd goal aside), and as tense as it was it was hardly as though our goal led a charmed life (oh well didn't praise them after all).

I agree that we did not retain the ball in midfield and having both Dembele and Wanyama missing was critical to that, and losing these 2 or their equivalents would test any side. With regards full backs Aurier will improve and is likely to stop us missing Walker too much and in the last 12 months Davies has proved to be a very good left sided player and the best compliment I can pay him is that we have not missed Danny Rose much (except when Davies has not been available).

4. redwhiteandermblue

redwhiteandermblue Well-Known Member

please log in to view this image

Until yesterday, I would have thought the chances of Sissoko making me think of Dave Mackay were slim.

5. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

I really cant think of a team that wouldn't miss those four all at the same time. Most top teams can get by without 1 or 2 of their first team but beyond that it starts to hurt.

Roo likes this.
  6. littleDinosaurLuke

littleDinosaurLuke Well-Known Member

They did lack quality, but there were a lot of balls played into the box which fell to West Ham players. Carroll, in particular, wasted some good chances.
    It's been a while since you looked shaky at the back and like you could concede easily - but you did on Saturday, albeit when down to 10 men.

7. The Changing Man

The Changing Man Well-Known Member

Fair comment - I am bit biased so you are looking at it from a more balanced position, I must admit I didn't enjoy the last 10 minutes

8. bigsmithy9

bigsmithy9 Well-Known Member

Is the crowd closer to the pitch at this stadium than Wembley. If not,we should be winning all our "home" games at Wembley!

9. remembercolinlee

remembercolinlee Well-Known Member

Something that impressed me was tbe fact we refused to let them bully us. It was good to see Llorente and Sissoko getting stuck in and giving it back. Before Pochettino we would have backed off but now we go toe toe. Every good team has that about them.

10. 'West Ham midfielder Mark Noble, 30, believes Tottenham striker Harry Kane, 24, is worth at least £100m.'

a) who gives a **** what that nasty little twat thinks and
    b) in what world would Harry EVER only be worth 4 x Arnautovic??
    c) who gives a **** what that nasty little twat thinks (Ed. You've already had that one!)

<laugh>

Lovearsenalcock and Dier Hard like this.

11. The RDBD

I've no doubts that the D1ldo bros, if they had a talent
    like Kane, would eff up the selling to only get 100m.

Lovearsenalcock likes this.
  12. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

When did we start doing these?

13. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

Spurs and West Scam have been charged by The FAckwits for failing to control their players.

If only there was somebody assigned to the match by The FAckwits whose job it was to control the 22 players on the pitch so that the likes of Mark Noble couldn't foul Spurs players for ninety minutes with impunity...

14. The RDBD

1. Saturday was hardly the debacle at the Fridge in 2016.

2. Notable that the latest act of c**ntery by the FA against
    Spurs involves yet again one of Chelsky or the Spanners.

Lovearsenalcock likes this.
  15. paultheplug

paultheplug Well-Known Member

How are clubs supposed to control their players when they are on the pitch. It only goes wrong when the referees fail to apply the laws consistently and fairly no matter who is playing. Control of the match is completely the responsibility of the officials and frankly most of them are either incompetent or biased. Oh for the days of Pier-Luigi Collini who always had the respect of all players. I don't think the Rooneys and his ilk would play many games

The Changing Man likes this.
  16. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Not that I didn't expect this charge, but what exactly did our players do wrong?
    Reid went crazy about nothing and put his hand to Llorente's throat, then Hernandez went mental and our players did very little about either.
    Ok, Llorente reacted a bit to Reid at first, but it was barely worth a booking, even.
    Dier appeared to get booked for stopping Hernandez.

17. "Thanks for that Brian"

"Thanks for that Brian" Well-Known Member

We've been done twice in the recent past. We've not disputed either but we have to defend ourselves for just......well..........defending ourselves.

Llorente was fouled. The ref signals a free kick to us. Carroll tries to knock Llorente over and laughably, the big lummox doesn't even make him budge. It looked as though Carroll ran into an oak tree.

Next thing, Reid loses his rag and then Hernandez does the same. No Spurs player does anything except separate those 2 idiots from people they're trying to pick a fight with.

18. FAcking Joke!!

19. bigsmithy9

bigsmithy9 Well-Known Member

Remember the good old days when a ref was a ref and the FA knew what they were doing?

20. PowerSpurs

PowerSpurs Well-Known Member

You must be even older than me if you can remember that far back....

Lovearsenalcock and bigsmithy9 like this.