1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Tottenham Hotspur v Watford

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by PleaseNotPoll, Oct 17, 2019.

1. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

I’m 29 Smithy but thankfully got to spend a lot of time with her - as well as my grandad, who passed away in Feb this year at 92 - she was 91 and they’d been together since she was 17 and he 19, a true first love romantic story for the ages. She was certainly the boss of the family but would always side with us grandkids, whilst my grandad was the joker, both truly incredible people and if the rest of the family can be but a fraction of the people they were then we'll have done well.

It was naturally painful to lose her but deep down the family knew she didn’t really want to be around after my grandad went and so there’s a small bit of comfort knowing she’s with him now by his side, where she wanted to be.

2. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

It’s definitely counterproductive to an extent but whilst I don’t personally boo, I do feel fans are entitled to vent their frustration and if booing is their choice of action then so be it. Ticket prices at Spurs are some of, if not the most expensive in the Prem nowadays (my ST is one of the cheapest and even that’s £995!) and so based on over the last 14-15 months, I think it’s fair to say that fans aren’t getting their money’s worth and that will rightly or wrongly lead to unrest in the stands.

Citizen Kane. likes this.
  3. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

I think booing is only acceptable if you feel your team is not trying/giving the best it has, other than that then it's pointless you will not make them any better by doing it.

Really sorry to hear about your gran DH, i lost mine when i was 13 and she had basically brought me up since my mam had worked all my life. It was the last time i cried.

4. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Cheers mate.

Yeah I don’t personally boo, tbh I find it quite weird seeing grown men and women boo, seems a very odd thing to do but I’m just saying if that’s their way to vent their frustration then so be it.
    Our performances have been shoddy since most of last season so I think fans are just getting restless now.

5. bigsmithy9

bigsmithy9 Well-Known Member

I like booing as much as that continental whistling. I hate them both. I prefer to curse under my breathe.....if the wife is out,it gets so loud my dogs join in. (They hate Arsenal too!!!!!!)
    Oh! You know I'm joking of course. No,really……!

Stokenchurch yid likes this.
  6. Stokenchurch yid

Stokenchurch yid Well-Known Member

My 2 African grey parrots slag arsenal off all day long I've trained em well

bigsmithy9 likes this.
  7. maggie blanchflower

maggie blanchflower Well-Known Member

If booing your own side is their only way to vent frustration then I'd rather they went and supported someone else. I'm one of the lucky ones who saw the very, very best of our team but over all those years I've also seen many depressing poor seasons, even relegation but wouldn't dream of booing my team, ever, and I cannot understand their mentality. OK, I know I'm old fashioned but I don't care....
    By the way DH you sound like you were a good grandson to your Nan, may she RIP.

8. PowerSpurs

PowerSpurs Well-Known Member

I totally agree Maggie.

9. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Thanks Maggie.

I guess the question would be how else is there a way to vent frustration?

Me personally, whenever we lose I usually kick my seat (<laugh>) then storm off to the pub to drown my sorrows.

I think a bigger problem is the prices fans are having to pay. We have the highest ticket prices in the Premier League and so with that comes expectation, my season ticket is one of the cheaper ones at Spurs and it’s £995, I think average price of a match ticket is around £60-£70 at the moment, when you’re paying that sort of money and watching a team play as poorly as we have for about a year now, the frustration is going to build and fans will begin to let the team/ club know.

As I’ve said, I’m not a fan of booing myself but I won’t really knock those that do providing there’s a valid reason to do so and I’d say on current form and the money being paid, it is pretty valid.

10. maggie blanchflower

I take your point DH regarding cost, I really do but I still couldn't boo my own side however bad. Perhaps its a generation thing as I don't remember anyone booing at all in the late 40's, 50's & 60's.( We did have a bit more to cheer about I s'pose especially early 60's! ) Things seemed to change in the 70's and when I took my children I cringed at some of the foul abuse hurled at the opposition. Just was not used to it.
    The difference in pricing is out of orbit! Back in the 40's my Dad paid 6 pence for me (2 & half p) 1 shilling (5p) for himself, so 7 & half p total! Mind you, wages were very low so its all relative perhaps but I think those prices stayed for years.
    Can anyone tell me how you type a half when you haven't got the symbol?<confused>

The Changing Man likes this.

11. remembercolinlee

remembercolinlee Well-Known Member

The pricing is an issue...grade c matches should not cost £40 plus...there are tickets available for Bournemouth and Burnley games...cheapest are £55 ... simply can not afford that... especially to watch Burnley time waste from 5 minutes in like last season!

The club need to look at the pricing or will see empty seats imho.

PleaseNotPoll likes this.
  12. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

Empty seats isn't the biggest issue with the current pricing I can see, the inconsistent atmosphere is. Take the match with The Sheikh Mansour Team for the obvious example: for some periods it was lively, but for others it was deathly silent, and there didn't seem to be a balance between the two

Of course the other problem with the pricing is that a run of form like we're having at the moment leads to seeing far too many "I don't pay £X for this tripe" comments, which not only sounds entitled but also implies that paying £20 to watch said tripe is perfectly reasonable...

13. remembercolinlee

remembercolinlee Well-Known Member

In the run up to xmas it would cost £180 for me and my youngest to go to Burnley and Bournemouth and that means I simply can not go.

Back in 2016 I took both my girls to Watch both the Burnley and Hull games just before xmas...my eldest was an adult by then by the tickets for both matches were £180 for all 3 of us...£35×2 and £17.50 plus booking fees.

For it to now be £180 for just 1 adult and 1 young adult for the same category games just 3 years later is s joke imho.

The plastics and corporates may take my seats for catagory A games which I can not afford any longer but they will not turn up to Burnley, Bournemouth or God forbid EL games!

Those of us who aint minted should not be priced out of Category C games...that's unacceptable pricing in my view.

14. bigsmithy9

What did they used to call it? The poor man's sport?

They used to pay players 2 pounds for a win and 1 pound for a draw. I wonder if they pay for a result today?

15. bigsmithy9

I remember a story about a footballer continually boo'd by a fan. He found out where the man worked and stayed there returning the compliment!

16. maggie blanchflower

When was that then?

17. bigsmithy9

I believe it was between the wars recited by Charlie Buchan.

He mentioned also a Sunderland player riding home on a tram hearing some clown giving him a hard time after a game. He just turned,wacked the fan and saw him disappearing head first off the tram.

18. maggie blanchflower

Between the wars ---no wonder I didn't remember it although I was alive in WW2! (3 when it ended). As for the Mackem <laugh> Those were the days when adults could dispense justice, ie: a clip round the ear to someone else's kid and if you told your Mum you got another one for being naughty!

bigsmithy9 and remembercolinlee like this.
  19. littleDinosaurLuke

littleDinosaurLuke Well-Known Member

The memories of grandparents are always fond ones and never leave you.
    Sorry for your loss.

20. bigsmithy9

I can remember being in the Anderson shelter in the back garden when it started to leak . They'd built the thing on top of an underground river called the Moselle off Lordship Lane. I might have been about 3(?)…...and they had a siren across the road next to a Dr Who police box. Noisy thing!

remembercolinlee likes this.