1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Tottenham Hotspur v Vitesse

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by PleaseNotPoll, Oct 19, 2021.

1. "Thanks for that Brian"

"Thanks for that Brian" Well-Known Member

It'd be a mistake but I can see us making it,

I don't think that we'll finish 5th, nor will we win anything. As soon as we pick up a few injuries to the First XI, we'll drop back and finish 7th again. So, I think that Nuno's a goner.

We won't miss him.

2. "Thanks for that Brian"

No argument from me.

I've got nothing against the bloke...but he wasn't an answer to any of the issues at the club. He's just delaying having to face them.

3. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

I will not cheer up. Today I learned that Sainsburys have willed pumpkin spice hummus into existence

...also, how did our match go this evening?

4. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

I don't think I'd want him back either.

I enjoyed some of the best moments of supporting Spurs under him and he remains my favourite manager but post tenure and using the power of hindsight there was a lot of things he got wrong and a few things I think he got quite lucky with. I'm not sure he'd have that same luck on return, especially in terms of inheriting very good players, 7 of his best XI were players who were already at the club and if he returned I doubt he'd have that same quality/ potential. A lot of his signings left a lot to be desired (admittedly not all may necessarily have been his picks) and his reputation of working with youth was quite overhyped.

I'd rather remember Poch for his first 4 and a half years than risk having any more like his final 12 months.

Having said all that, I do truly believe that Levy has plans to bring him back.

5. Citizen Kane.

Citizen Kane. Well-Known Member

<ok>

Dier Hard likes this.
  6. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

7. Left on the Shelf

Left on the Shelf Well-Known Member

7th? That's a trifle optimistic, isn't it?
    A couple of significant injuries and I can see us looking at a lower half position.

8. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

West Ham with a 3-0 win to carry momentum into the weekend.

They started a number of first teamers and brought on one or two too and I can guarantee you they'll be 100% on it for the weekend.

Not taking any of our first XI tonight was just plain dumb. We could've brought five of them on with 20-25 minutes to go and probably saw Vitesse off.

9. crackerman jack

crackerman jack Well-Known Member

Understandably a lot of doom and gloom on here tonight after that dogshit performance.
    However hypothetically if we won on Sunday would all be forgiven? Would then most agree tonight doesn’t really matter in the grand scheme of things?

My opinion is I think they will turn us over on Sunday whatever, I just wondered if by some miracle the above happened would people be prepared to eat humble pie?

10. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Nope.

Tonight matters for me because I want to win the thing and we need to top the group to ensure we skip the playoffs. Imagine being a travelling fan tonight too? Ticket, travel, accommodation, food and drink plus Covid tests and you get treated to that pile of steaming ****… it’s not on in my opinion.

For me there’s zero need to completely rest XI players, if a professional footballer can’t play 90 mins on a weekend and 20 mins or so midweek then they’re in the wrong sport. Vitesse were there for the taking and having some decent options on the bench would’ve probably helped see them off, similar to how we done so against Mura.

If we lose Sunday and Nuno’s still in a job it’ll be a joke. He has to win and win well too.

11. "Thanks for that Brian"

Yes, we could well end up in the lower half. We have almost no resilience to injuries in midfield and for Sonny and Kane. I've no great confidence in Gollini either.

I'd wager my Damned reunion tickets that we'll not be in the top 6 places.

12. Citizen Kane.

Citizen Kane. Well-Known Member

I've literally zero clue why he's still at the club, nor why we signed him in the first place.

13. KingHotspur

KingHotspur Well-Known Member

I think it’s nailed on that he’ll be back and probably next summer.

14. vimhawk

vimhawk Well-Known Member

As crap as we were tonight, if the ref is remotely even handed we have a much better chance. Give us the obvious penalty there's every reason to say that we go on to win and the conversation on here tonight is very different. Regardless of everyone falling on their sword, a lot of teams could not play an entirely different XI and get a result, particularly with that ****wit of a ref. And I don't know where all this WetSpam love in is coming from. We may lose to them on Sunday but there is every chance we can beat them as well. I would say there is a lot of glass half empty opinion on here (based on a game where none of the first XI played), but mostly there's no water in the glass at all.

crackerman jack and PowerSpurs like this.
  15. Roo

Roo Well-Known Member

I bet there’s been back slash from the Roma fans…
    :bandit:

16. remembercolinlee

remembercolinlee Well-Known Member

In fairness we have had 1 top performance in the Premier League and that was 7 matches ago.

If Wolves had a decent striker or Troare could finish we'd not have won.

We need a fluke goal to beat a horrifically bad Watford side.

We're were lucky to lose 3 nil to Palace. They had 18 attempts to our 2!
    They passed the ball 498 time to our 317.
    Their pass accuracy was 83% to our 72%.
    Mind you we did commit more fouls and get more red cards than them!!!

We were lucky to lose 3 nil at home to Chelsea.
    They had 20 attempts (10 on target) to our 8 (2 on target).

We made the goons look like a top 4 side.

We played well in parts v Villa and Newcastle but in fairness both are dross.

That's why I think West Ham will batter us.
    That and the fact we can not cope with crowd pressure and players closing us down .... both of these things will happen on Sunday.
    Their biggest danger is over confidence.

crackerman jack and The RDBD like this.
  17. The Ides of March

The Ides of March Well-Known Member

Comparing the second string teams of Chelsea, Manchester City, Liverpool and Manchester United with yours is frightening. This should be a tournament Tottenham should be aiming to.win. It then elevates the club into the Europa League. The way things are going in the PL.forget about the Top 4, just aim to.win trophies where you can. I imaginé Nuno will have a considerable intray of complaints to deal with this morning.

And Good Luck for Sunday!

18. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

19. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

I genuinely felt Clarke had some raw talent waiting to be unlocked but for whatever reason he’s falling further and further down the pecking list in what is his 3rd year as a Spurs player. I doubt we’ll be able to sell him too as I’d imagine he’s on a wage that most Championship/ League One sides could afford so I think it’s a case of trying to loan him out and then wait til his contract ends in 18 months.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2021
    humanbeingincroydon likes this.
  20. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Apparently that was Vitesse’s first win against an English side in European competition, not sure how many they’ve faced in the past but another unwanted stat for Nuno’s early collection.

Just seen the match stats too, 15 to 6 shots and 5 to 2 corners in their favour… this club is a gift at times, lol.