1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Tottenham Hotspur v Swansea City

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by PleaseNotPoll, Apr 3, 2017.

1. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

sometimes one must settle for a sudden death shoot out...a man needs his sleep.

2. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

lol makes me giggle the upbeat mood...i would have been a grumpy bastard if we didnt get a result.

I kind of mellowed but the last few years has got tense as **** for me during matches again.

3. The RDBD

The RDBD Well-Known Member

And your dentures glow in ultraviolet light ... ?? :)

SpursDisciple likes this.
  4. The RDBD

We heard you dribble before you shoot.

deedub93 and Lovearsenalcock like this.
  5. Spurf

Spurf Thread Mover
    Forum Moderator

<laugh> That's one of the problems, it's a young mans game but old men know the game better.

6. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

<rofl>

7. Rocky blue army

Rocky blue army Well-Known Member

The amount of times I have gone to the loo in the pub and spurs have scored and I missed it is unreal I just tried a new tactic last night <laugh>

Dier Hard likes this.
  8. SpursDisciple

SpursDisciple Booking: Mod abuse - overturned on appeal
    Forum Moderator

I'd have to check the glass.

9. The RDBD

In case people don't know the lines SD and I are referencing ...

10. SpursDisciple

Forum Moderator

sshh - claiming it as my own.

11. seabreeze

seabreeze Well-Known Member

Man City let you guys down and Chelsea off the hook . Considering you're injury scenario , I wouldn't be to upset with you're performance .... Good teams just find a way to win away , as you've done here . All you can do is win from here and wait for Chelsea to stumble , like they almost did yesterday . Regardless though , based off the last couple of seasons , the Spurs are here to stay I believe .

12. SpursDisciple

Forum Moderator

<ok> not just courtesy, for the sake of some much liked ex players of ours I hope you'll be safe. Sure you will be.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2017
    remembercolinlee and seabreeze like this.
  13. maggie blanchflower

maggie blanchflower Well-Known Member

Being a lifelong Spurs fan thanks to my Londoner Spurs fan Dad who started taking me to matches from a tiny tot in the late 40's I had a lovely Welsh Mum who took me 'down home' every summer holidays. We stayed with my Aunty in Skewen which is a short bus ride to Swansea. Some of my happiest memories are of Swansea Bay, playing on the beach, Swansea Market and a lovely tram which took us to Mumbles Pier. We would walk along the cliffs to the beautiful little bays on the Gower. Wonderful times for me. Naturally I always want my Spurs to win but I felt a little guilty at the relief I felt last night! I wish with all my heart that the Swans gather enough points to survive. Good luck, I have my fingers crossed for you.

14. bigsmithy9

bigsmithy9 Well-Known Member

Now look what you've done.Brought back memories.
    I took my wife on a drive through Wales passing Swansea's ground and staying at a seaside resort (a bit run down but must have been a corker in days past!).
    I can't remember the name off hand (starts with a P....?).Anyway we stayed in a hotel,had dinner/supper and a pint of Boddington's. That bloody beer had me up all night. My stomach was killing me and I tried to do the same to the toilet!
    We carried on up the west coast ....and I was weak,I tell you.

Apart from that,I enjoyed the trip!

Did I ever tell you about finishing up in a police car in Ostend? Well,I'd better not.........!

15. lennypops

lennypops Well-Known Member

I must say I rally do appreciate the diversity of posters we have on here: different ages, backgrounds, experiences, memories etc. From HBIC's pervy Korean girl bands and computer games to BigSmithy and Maggy's reminiscences of people and times past and Sidney Fiddler's LSD-induced Carry-On life-fantasies/genuine Darling Buds of May-type updates - it's a good mix.

Just to join in on the South Wales memories I gotta mention that the Gower Peninsula was maybe the most perfect beach/camping holiday I ever had. Yes. Camping. And beaches. In South Wales. Just to clarify: ever other time I have ever been to Wales it has rained almost non-stop. Hasn't necessarily dampened the fun but this time in the Gower it was weird. It was boiling hot. June. The beaches there were a) pristine, b) lapped by this really warm, gentle sea and c) utterly, totally empty. My girlfriend and I vowed that we should never return because it'd never be as perfect again. Alas we did indeed go again, camping with her sister's family. Guess what? They cut the trip short because it absolutely pissed it down every day so much so that they just up sticks and left about 4am in a rain-swept gale. They had 2 young kids and a baby too. It was August or something. Ridiculous.

Anyway - about the game...

16. lennypops

That game was a test but I really felt at the time and still do that it was a test where we should focus on the fact that we passed it with flying colours rather than made it look hard. It *was* difficult - they scored early and so the crowd was right behind them, they could sit back and make it difficult for us. Together with our injuries and, yes, lack of real options up front (it seems) it was going to be tricky. We all knew we would find it difficult if they got men behind the ball but in the end we had a crazy amount of possession, plenty of chances and they rarely threatened.

And bloody hell we really do believe in ourselves right up to the end. I love the attitude. And the bare fact of it is that even with so many key players missing we are still, man-for-man, clearly better than a team like Swansea (no disrespect). And in (dur!) Alli, Eriksen and Son we do carry some goal threat still.

Walker was quiet, wasn't he? We didn't seem to get much from our wing-backs - normally a big aspect of our attacking play.

And even though it looked like our options off the bench were not awe-inspiring actually Janssen (again) showed that he really can be useful linking play up and N'Koudou did well for our third goal too. Janssen has shown, from the off, that he works hard and that he really does have some quality flicks and touches in him. For me he's definitely worth keeping and seeing how he progresses. The thing that drives me nuts about him is that he often doesn't seem to be actually looking to find space and making runs- he actually likes to be near the defenders instead of trying to get away from them.

Sissoko...I want to be fair, I want to see some reason to balance out the universal impatience and dismissal of him, I want to believe that Poch can get what he needs out of him (not many players *haven't* improved under Poch) but...but...**** me. What is the ****ing point of him? He looks like one of those footballers who, when you see him look promising, it's not really got much to do with the bits where his foot actually makes contact with the ball. I don't mind watching him run after it, mind. At least I can imagine that something good might happen.

And since I don't post much on here nowadays I just want to have it on record that I ****ing love Victor Wanyama. Not relevant to this game but I really do ****ing love him. Possibly in my top 10 current favourite Spurs players - he's *that* good!

We're second, people (and whilst we didn't gain on Chelsea on Wednesday we consolidated 2nd place considerably). Over the last two seasons we've picked up far more points than any other team. We've got 135, Arsenal 125, City 124, Chelsea 122...

Our team (even though there's room for improvement) is bloody excellent right now. I'm enjoying it. And I'll love it...I'll love it if we beat them! (either in the league or, if not, the semi final will do).

17. lennypops

And did anyone else notice the heated exchange between Janssen and Alli right at the end when Janssen shot but Alli thought he should have been played in? Seventh minute of injury time, we're 3-1 up and they're hassling each other to do better! I just love our attitude nowadays. (Yeah - Alli can be a bit of a **** but I'll give him a pass on this one and put it down to fantastic drive and ambition. We've needed it).

18. remembercolinlee

remembercolinlee Well-Known Member

From 2009 to 2013 we took our daughters to stay at the Gower Heritage Centre.
    It had a small mill, some animals and activities like pottery that was open to the public during the day. They had 2 flats that could be hired out which we would do. This meant that once it closed at night the girls could wander around the animal areas on their own in the dark so they got to feel a bit grown up. We'd go to swansea while we were there and to the local beaches. My youngest got to love covkles from us going cockling.
    So we have a big soft spot for Swansea too <ok>

maggie blanchflower likes this.
  19. "Thanks for that Brian"

"Thanks for that Brian" Well-Known Member

Dele is a very unselfish player in the box. He sees team mates and will play the pass if that's the better option. Son's goal against Burnley was a case in point. Harry Kane would have worked for a way to shoot. Harry's the only player Dele won't dig out for picking the wrong option by being 'greedy'. Everyone else gets some. I think Harry might deserve some occasionally but generally our players strike a good balance between hunger to score as a team and on a personal front.

20. The RDBD

Kane is also a percentage player in the main.

And when he does decide he is going for it, then the end result is usually a
    goal or the GK is forced to make a save. Therefore he has earned the right to
    some greediness. Believe me, if he was Sturridge greedy or Townsend stupid
    I would be the first to drop on Kane from a great height.