1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Tottenham Hotspur v Stade Rennais FC

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by PleaseNotPoll, Sep 14, 2021.

1. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

The problem wouldn't happen if it was Rennes vs Vitesse that was held up, though, as their fixtures between today and the 31st happen on the 12th, 18th and 21st - while, for completionists, Mura play on the 12th then don't play another match until February

Cramming in so many fixtures over the Christmas and New Year period is not only the reason our match with Burnley hasn't been rescheduled yet, but also the reason we can't say to Rennes that we can fit in the fixture in the week between Christmas and New Year as we have two fixtures that week

2. humanbeingincroydon

We are all Nice

3. paultheplug

paultheplug Well-Known Member

I thought that UEFA matches take precedence over national FA matches .Postpone both teams league games on 22 December and play the match then Simple

4. humanbeingincroydon

And yet doing so would bring TV back into the equation, as our match on the 22nd is on Sky (as is our match on the 19th, while our match on the 16th is on BT)

5. paultheplug

paultheplug Well-Known Member

I am sure there is a Manure under 16 game they could cover instead

Alfie Conn likes this.
  6. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

We have an outbreak of covid now too, not sure it has anything to do with Tony though.

7. The Huddlefro

The Huddlefro Well-Known Member

Isn’t the going theory that Toney gave it to Spurs, who have given it to Norwich, and thus it has made its way to you?

8. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

No idea mate but it would make more sense if they concluded he gave it to the rest of his team in the dressing room rather than to people on a big field running around in the open air.

EDIT..........not sure Lindeloff would go down with respiratory problems after being on a field for 70 mins with Norwich because of it <laugh>

9. The Huddlefro

100%, I think transmission on the pitch is unlikely in the open air. We’ll probably never get to the bottom of it but unless they’re in an enclosed space close to each other for a long-ish period of time then club-to-club transmission is unlikely in a professional setting. Obviously if players are friends and go out to dinner or something that’s a different matter. But as teams don’t share dressing rooms and they’re not in the tunnel together for very long, it’s hard to think of situations off the top of my head where club-to-club can happen.

Diego likes this.
  10. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

If one player catches it in their own life (outside football) then the transference through the squad can have so many routes. Sitting together in a room where tactics are discussed and shown, on the team bus/transport to away matches, sitting in the club canteen for lunch etc etc. The thought of catching it off another teams player on the pitch is laughable :grin:

11. humanbeingincroydon

My immediate thought it to ask if Palace or Villa have reported any cases, because with Leicester reporting a small outbreak in their squad during the week these two rounds of fixtures suddenly become a point of concern
    Palace played Villa on November 27th
    Leicester played Villa on December 5th / Man Utd played Palace on December 5th

Diego likes this.
  12. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

I bet a lot of them players have been Christmas shopping too <grr>

13. The Huddlefro

I think it’s extremely unlikely but not impossible. Players shouting at each other close up, that kind of thing can cause transmission, but it’s not guaranteed. I’ve had situations recently in my own life where I’ve had close personal contact with people who didn’t know they had Covid at the time and I didn’t get it, and they were all indoors, which magnifies the risk factor massively. Being outside and catching it from someone would be very unlucky and would require quite a specific set of circumstances.

I think it’s more likely that cases are just really high right now and players are getting it from WAGs and kids and passing it on to their teammates.

Diego likes this.
  14. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

It's probably more likely to catch it from unpacking the shopping you have delivered, i would imagine very few people are still sanitising their hands after this kind of thing yet you have no idea who packed the bags (or stacked the shelves) and may have inadvertently caughed or sneezed as they did so.

15. SpursDisciple

SpursDisciple Booking: Mod abuse - overturned on appeal
    Forum Moderator

If it's the new variant the club has had, then the initial evidence is that it is much more contagious.

16. The Huddlefro

This is true. I’m not a medical professional (obviously) but I still think intra- rather than inter-club transmission is more likely though.

17. humanbeingincroydon

Another reason our fixture on the 22nd is hard to move is it's the Season Killer Cup match, and the first leg of the semi finals take place between the 3rd-7th January while the second legs are between the 10th-14th

That's right, the SKC has brought back the two-legged semis this season, for the usual reasons that can be described as follows: because **** you, that's why

18. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Schrodinger's Spurs.
    Our European campaign is simultaneously alive and dead until UEFA open the box.
    ****ing farcical.

remembercolinlee likes this.
  19. KingHotspur

KingHotspur Well-Known Member

You didn’t use sanitizer until covid and don’t use it anymore? :emoticon-0104-surpr

PleaseNotPoll likes this.
  20. bigsmithy9

bigsmithy9 Well-Known Member

Oh calamity. Spurs may have 4 (?) games cancelled by Covid but not much said. But news today that Man U may miss a game for same reason and tv can't stop crying about it!!!!