1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Tottenham Hotspur v Southampton

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by PleaseNotPoll, Sep 18, 2020.

1. maggie blanchflower

maggie blanchflower Well-Known Member

I was there & I remember it. I was sweet 16 at the time. The high scoring games were great fun where fans used to offer a fresh pencil to the ref 'cos he'd worn his down or a new notebook to replace his full up one! Seems awfully tame now but good innocent fun back in the day. We had lots of laughs 'down the Lane'.

2. remembercolinlee

remembercolinlee Well-Known Member

Winks got catcalls and whistles at Wembley while Trippier, Dier, Rose and Toby got clapped mate.
    It's true about you being tbe only one calling for him to be sold...the same is true of me with Rose.

Rose was outstanding in 2015/16 and 2016/17...he has been dogshit for 3 years yet it was only in the last 12 months that he has been called out yet still the fans sing his name.

Toby was ****ing around with his contract 2 and a half yrs ago while playing poorly yet people were saying we should pay him.

Dier was getting his name sung at wembley and at new whl yet he aint played well in god knows how long...probably 3 years.

So yeah...I do think they along with Dele and Eriksen got a free ride...they all deserve at least as much stick as Winks for their performances in the last 12 months playing for us.

The free ride is by the fans at whl not on here btw

3. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Non-injured players that didn't start today:
    Keepers: Gazzaniga, Hart.
    Defenders: Aurier, Alderweireld, Foyth, Carter-Vickers, Reguilon, Sessegnon, Rose.
    Midfielders: Lamela, Bergwijn, Sissoko, Lo Celso, Alli, Fernandes, Clarke.
    Strikers: Yeah, right.

4. The RDBD

The RDBD Well-Known Member

For those that want to put in a shift, there are plenty of games to prove
    themselves worthy of a place on the PL starting XI team sheets

5. deedub93

deedub93 Well-Known Member

I think this is Maureen's plan, try to build an interchangeable squad that will finish strongly.

6. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

Ah, but they support their manager by splurging £20m on Callum Wilson - while ignoring how easily overrun their midfield often is

7. KingHotspur

KingHotspur Well-Known Member

He wants 2 players for every position and 3 keepers, so a solid squad of 23 with quality throughout. He has said he doesn’t like big squads so I expect 3-4 to move on before the window ends

Lovearsenalcock likes this.
  8. The Huddlefro

The Huddlefro Well-Known Member

When you look at where we have spare capacity it seems obvious that we might lose the likes of Foyth, Lamela, and obviously Rose, if we can find takers for them. I suspect we might loan Sess too as we now have so many players ahead of him in each position. I just have a feeling that Dele might be off as well. Lots of rumours about it including from Fabrizio Romano who has a good track record in recent years. Let’s see.

Stokenchurch yid likes this.
  9. remembercolinlee

remembercolinlee Well-Known Member

Lamela should stay. He is happy to be a squad player snd he is good off the bench like today.

10. deedub93

deedub93 Well-Known Member

And Deli if he is prepared to knuckle down. If he wants to tart about doing other things, fashion etc., then he should go. Plenty of time for that when his playing days are over a le Ginola.

11. The Changing Man

The Changing Man Well-Known Member

We are quite close to that in terms of numbers quality I am not so sure;

3 Keepers - Hugo, Gazza, Hart
    2 RB - Doherty, Aurier
    2 LB Regullion, Davies
    4 CB Toby, Dier, Sanchez, Tanganga
    6 CM Hojbjerg, Winks, Sissoko, Lo Celso, Ndombele, Dele
    2 LM/LW Son, Bergwyn
    2 RM/RW Lucas, Lamela
    2 CF Kane, Bale

If Dele goes Lamela goes in as 6th CM, Bale to RW and a New Striker is required and no places for Foyth or Sessegnon

KingHotspur likes this.
  12. The Huddlefro

I am a massive fan of Lamela and I love that he is always committed and a fighter on the pitch. I think Jose also appreciates these qualities, and if he stays I'm very happy with him as a squad option. But if an offer was made for him then I think he's one the club would consider expendable, especially if it meant freeing up budget for a striker or a top CB.

13. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

The interesting thing about Winks and Dier becoming our lightning rods is that it's the first time I can remember a white, English player being our lightning rod since the days of Ben Thatcher

14. Tilly'sowner

Tilly'sowner Well-Known Member

I would rather Moura went and retain Lamela. We need someone with "bite" in the team and that is Lamela!

15. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Dier and Trippier have had more than their fair share of jeers at games mate, as did Eriksen towards the end, Aurier’s also another. There was even a game where Eriksen was booed by some coming on to the pitch. His severe drop in form was annoying but for a player who was brilliant for circa 5 and a half years it felt like a low blow from our fans.

So I don’t think Winks has been isolated in terms of crowd jeering, they’ve all had their moments. Though more and more fans are just growing tired of Winks’ tedious style of play. He’s very “lucky” in that he’s an academy player which therefore holds some sentimental value to fans, because if he wasn’t, I think he’d be the whipping boy.

16. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

From a personality standpoint Lamela epitomises what you want as he’s ferocious and willing to die for the badge but he doesn’t offer enough quality for me any more. A good sub appearance today and at various other times I feel can mask 10 or so bad ones.

I think for Spurs to get to where we want to be, we generally need players who give a 7/10 most weeks at the least. I don’t think Lamela can do that regularly enough.

KingHotspur likes this.
  17. The Huddlefro

Yeah I agree as a starter in the league you wouldn’t want to see him too often. But to find a player who is so committed and yet also accepting of his place in the squad hierarchy is rare and I think that’s what makes him so valuable. You’d get 100% out of him whether he starts the NLD or comes on in the 90th minute against Orient in the cup. He’s had a torrid time of it with injuries and he shows his quality in purple patches but as a professional I respect him as much as any top player we’ve had the joy to watch at our club. Whether he’s on his game or not he’s always dialled up to 11.

But yeah if an offer came in that was suitable I’d be open to it.

18. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

I really do love his commitment and in general I think he has the ability to be a really good player but it just feels like he’s constantly having a battle with consistency. Injuries definitely haven’t helped, up until the start of last season it was said he’d missed nearly three full seasons of football whilst at Spurs so that’s definitely not helped him but he’s generally someone I think could do so much more - more often - rather than a flash of brilliance here and there. Same applies to Lucas, ability wise he’s got it but he’s so frustratingly inconsistent and I find it weird he keeps getting in the XI. Really don’t see why Jose can’t give Bergwijn a run of 5-10 games, these sub appearances aren’t doing him any justice or favours, at his age he needs regular game time to push on.

The Huddlefro likes this.
  19. The Huddlefro

I think under Jose, Lucas has added work rate and Jose sees him as really tactically aware, which is why he gets games. I agree though, I would definitely like to see Bergwijn get a run before Bale gets up to speed.

crackerman jack likes this.
  20. BajanSpur

BajanSpur Well-Known Member

Winks I'm sure is an endearing type and probably an extremely good person, but.,
    let me assure you., you have never been alone in your assessment of the lad as a
    player. I got fed up of calling him out some amount of years ago. Personally, I wouldn't
    actually be surprised to discover he has associations with the local Mafia or something.
    Just can't fathom why he starts so many games.

Hoddle is a god and Dier Hard like this.