1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Tottenham Hotspur v Rochdale

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by PleaseNotPoll, Feb 15, 2018.

1. No Kane No Gain

No Kane No Gain Well-Known Member

Also, did anyone else see Lamela take a shot with his right foot last night? That combined with Llorente's hattrick makes me think we need to install a snow machine at WHL next season, they're different players in this weather!

2. deedub93

deedub93 Well-Known Member

The fact that Sissoko couldn't see the ball meant that he was less likely to trip over it. The weather definitely appears to have added a new dimension to his game. Perhaps he should wear a blindfold in future.

3. Rocky blue army

Rocky blue army Well-Known Member

<laugh>:emoticon-0137-clapp

4. audrey.s.thackeray

audrey.s.thackeray Well-Known Member

Somebody suggested we should share the receipts from the game with them. I think we could afford to give them 100%, given that the attendance was so low. Or at least we could afford to compensate any of their fans who had to find overnight accommodation because of the weather conditions and unsafe roads/ cancelled trains etc. They were a credit to the game of football. And their manager shows that it is possible to be loyal to your own club but simultaneously truthful about the opposition and events in the match. Top guy!

5. Spurf

Spurf Thread Mover
    Forum Moderator

The match reports from those of you who attend games are really great and add so much for those of us who can't get there.
    Thank you very much for the pictures you paint and the small details that bring the experience to life.

<ok>

6. "Thanks for that Brian"

"Thanks for that Brian" Well-Known Member

No matter how good the tech, if you've got an idiot involved or someone who wants to affect the result, wrong decisions will be made. Numerous times, I've seen referees refuse to give penalties or red cards or avoid giving tough decisions early in games. On this decision, not only was the VAR decision wrong but it was made outside the criteria for even implementing the VAR system, in that any supposed infringement by Llorente, definitely wasn't clear and obvious.

Having now seen it on tv, the decision to disallow Lamela's goal was so bad that I find it hard to accept as a mistake. If that goal had been scored by Rochdale, I wonder if it would have been disallowed? I very much doubt it. The internet would have exploded.

NKNG is spot on. It didn't affect the result but it's damaging the best game in the world when operated badly by idiots, as is the case right now.

I've now seen the 'performance' of all of the officials on the night, the twat on the VAR and Chris Foy on BT Sport to boot. The possibility that ****ing officials don't know the rules is something we've all considered as possible. It's no longer a possibility. Foy saying that feinting in the run-up is 'ungentlemanly conduct', when the laws of the game make provision for it in the run-up prior to striking the ball, is just not good enough. The only offence is feinting to kick the ball. As Sonny was at least 2 metres from the ball, it's impossible for that to have happened. The law goes on to say... "feinting in the run-up is permitted".

There's a very serious problem here and this needs to be withdrawn until it can be operated without taking the piss out of everyone and bringing the game into disrepute.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2018
  7. "Thanks for that Brian"

One last thing. Having now watched it, the coverage, commentary and summarising by Robbie Savage and Chris Foy on BT Sport was a complete disgrace. Savage is an idiot and the commentator did everything but shout "Come on Rochdale" throughout the game.

Repeatedly calling 'KWP' 'Danny Rose' isn't good. Sure, I can see that you could get it wrong once in the prevailing conditions, if you had no interest in football and couldn't tell the difference between an athlete with a shaven head and a fat bloke with lots of hair. Doing it repeatedly brings up memories of a radio commentary from Man Utd, v Palace in 1989. Perhaps, if they'd been taking their jobs half seriously, instead of pissing about, they might not have kept doing it?

8. The RDBD

The RDBD Well-Known Member

Post-match stuff ...

Manager :

No Kane No Gain likes this.
  9. The RDBD

That has come too late in the season IMHO.

I doubt he would be capable of leading the line to
    win PL games while Kane is saved for the remaining
    PL/CL biggies, nor would I be prepared to give him
    60 mins of starting time in said games to prove me wrong.

10. No Kane No Gain

No Kane No Gain Well-Known Member

Exactly. There are so many things already broken with refereeing, putting a new system over the top of it is never going to help. If a house is structurally weak you don't fix it by building extra floors on top. The money, time and effort should be spent improving the standard of referees, not introducing VAR.

I personally think the Son penalty was the most damning. I didn't know the rules but that's fine because I'm just a fan. There's always going to be some decisions that fall into a grey area but that was black and white, yet the 2 referees who had to make the decision got it wrong and the other one(4th official) failed to correct them. That's not their fault, that's the fault of Riley and the other backslapping old boys that run the ref's association. Why are there not proper measures in place to make sure the refs all know and understand the rules? How can at least 2 of the 3 professional refs get a black and white decision wrong? And if that's not bad enough, Foy also needs to know the rules as he's on the PGMO panel and you've just said that he got it wrong as well so that's 4 that failed to spot the correct decision. Son knew the rules and got punished for it.

Even if they get all the decisions right, fans will still have to wait to know whether they can celebrate or not on every goal, which is changing football for the worse, in my view.

11. remembercolinlee

remembercolinlee Well-Known Member

completely agree...especially about Sissoko. He worked hard to plug the gaps left by our DoF who needs to lay off the Mars Bars and get back in the gym

12. The RDBD

<applause> to the DOF for (like other mammals) seeing
    the cold weather coming and packing on the extra
    blubber that meant he could survive close to 90 mins
    yesterday.

13. "Thanks for that Brian"

<laugh> I see that he was complaining about the delays inherent in VAR and the cold weather. Maybe try running around a bit, eh Danny?

14. Rocky blue army

Rocky blue army Well-Known Member

With his hairstyle last night when he was standing still waiting for the var decision I thought any minute a couple of blue tits were gonna fly out of his nest.<laugh>

bigsmithy9 and remembercolinlee like this.
  15. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

Well the second half was a fine display of "Right, y'bastids" - although more aimed towards Percy La ****wit and his VAR mate

...although we can probably expect The FA to have a word about Son sassing them

Sky Sports says that Graham Scott was the VAR bod.

16. littleDinosaurLuke

littleDinosaurLuke Well-Known Member

Keith Hill is impressive.
    But I don't know why is team are at the bottom of League One - they were challenging for the play-offs last season.
    Rochdale's bad luck the game was played in the middle of a big freeze. I read that 50,000 was the expected gate - around half turned up.

17. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

He's done two of our games this season, both of which were comfortable wins. Maybe he doesn't like the cold?

18. "Thanks for that Brian"

I doubt the takings were too badly affected. Spurs only announce the numbers that turn up, unlike Arsenal, who announce tickets sold as if it was the actual attendance. Some might have decided not to buy tickets in the last few days but they were really cheap, anyway. So, not too much harm done, I hope.

19. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

Goals etc

"1-0" Lamela

1-0 Son (Lamela assist)

"2-0" Son

2-1 Llorente (Lucas assist)

3-1 Llorente (Lucas assist)

4-1 Llorente (Son assist)

5-1 Son (Lamela assist)

6-1 KWP

deedub93 and PleaseNotPoll like this.
  20. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Likewise mate! I didn't actually go last night anyway, just got home from being in the south west with some of the fam, surprisingly no delays on the train back which was nice.

As for Winksy, what you say is pretty much accurate "playing in a simple but effective manner with hardly a misplaced pass" and therein actually lies the problem for me. His style is too simple, after his first season I thought he'd like to be more domineering in the centre of the park, using his vision and passing range to take on a Modric/ Carrick role but he's not done so and in fact instead of progressing I'd say he's regressed, injury may not have helped but he's had two ideal games to show his class and yet he's been one of the worst players on the pitch in both games against Rochdale.

I'd love for him to come good but I don't think he's got the mentality to be more risky/ forward thinking and ultimately it'll hold him back, being safe doesn't really get you that far with Spurs, especially how Poch plays. The way Oakley-Boothe is progressing, it wouldn't surprise me if he overtook Winks before the season ends.