1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Tottenham Hotspur v Real Madrid

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by PleaseNotPoll, Oct 16, 2017.

1. bigsmithy9

bigsmithy9 Well-Known Member

Ex Arsenal says we have no chance in the CL. Well if that Bent type goalhanger is correct,lets get out now and go for the FL cup!
    I hope Wright is wrong!

2. Spurf

Spurf Thread Mover
    Forum Moderator

3. Blue and White

Blue and White Well-Known Member

4. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

please log in to view this image

Wednesday 1st November 7.45pm
    Champions League Group Stage
    Wembley Stadium​

The return leg's here and we're coming into it in poor form.
    Back-to-back losses are unusual under Pochettino and this probably isn't the game you want to follow two poor results.
    Real Madrid also lost on the weekend though, coming unstuck after taking the lead against newly promoted Girona.
    The club has never been in Spain's top flight before, so it's quite a shocking result for the champions.
    Two teams in need of a win and a good performance. Will either provide one?

Wanyama continues his rehabilitation, but has apparently stepped it up and is doing fieldwork training.
    Pochettino is confident that Harry Kane will return, following his absence from our two defeats.
    Varane had to leave the pitch at half-time on the weekend and is expected to miss this game.
    Isco was also injured, but he's expected to recover from that knock.

Referee: Cüneyt Çakır (Turkey). He was the official for our goalless draw in Leverkusen last season and Real's loss to Atletico in the semi.

TV: BT Sport 2.

What changes need to be made, following the dour, dull lost to Utd on the weekend?
    Do we need to do anything different to our last game against Real?
    Does anyone need to miss this one out and does our bench need any tweeks?

5. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Hugo
    Toby, Dave, Jan
    Tripps/ Aurier, Dier, Winks, Davies
    Eriksen
    Llorente, Kane

Can't decide who should start between Tripps and Aurier. Aurier has the athleticism to deal with Real's pace but Tripp's delivery and being fresher is a tempting prospect. If Llorente can play like he did last time against Real, he'll cause them a handful of problems again, especially with no Varane in their side.

Spur of the Moment likes this.
  6. Spurf

Spurf Thread Mover
    Forum Moderator

Lamela is back I hear

7. Come on as sub and score the winner?? <cheers>
    Now that would be some comeback!!

8. Roo

Roo Well-Known Member

Aurier over Trippier for me. Whilst both have positives and negatives to their games, I don’t think Trippier is up to this defensively. Aurier’s pace if nothing else is vital IMO

9. The RDBD

The RDBD Well-Known Member

If Rose is fully fit now, I would start with him.
    Give their right side defence something to ponder.

10. The RDBD

Nothing said in the pre-match stuff.

11. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Gotta be honest mate, Aurier's defending has been more suspect than Trippier's from what I've seen so far. The only difference is that Aurier has a bit more pace to try and rectify if he gets beaten, very rash in the challenge which is something Poch needs to work on.

12. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

I'd jizz in my boxers if that happens.

Mainly because my Cousin has a mate (who I can't ****ing stand - and he knows it), whenever he comes Spurs and Lamela gets brought up in conversation the prick doesn't stop slagging him off, so I'd love for nothing more than to have a valid reason to flip the bird(s) at the knobhead when Lamela does a Klinsmann-esque celebration in the 93rd minute.

Plus I hate Real Madrid <laugh>

13. Roo

Roo Well-Known Member

I agree about auriers defending at times. but his speed will make RM more reluctant in taking him on. They’ll see Trippier as a weakness and unfortunately without the speed, he’ll get torn a new one and they’ll look to exploit him every time IMO

14. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Think Tripps gets a bit of a raw deal on his defensive aspects, I know he's not as good as a defender as say Davies is but he ain't terrible in those aspects. His defending against Liverpool was actually first class for the majority of the game, made Coutinho his bitch.

Plus Tripps is much more creative than any of our full backs at present, we all know his crossing is brilliant but he's got a very underrated passing game, already has four assists this season, he could be handy if we do go with Llorente and Kane up top.

That said it really is a tough one because I've liked a lot of what I've seen of Aurier, his power and pace is very impressive, he's not a bad crosser himself and he seems to be quite an authoritative figure already but his rash challenges scare me. A red card and a penalty give away (albeit Kroos took full advantage of Serge's lunge) in just a handful of games isn't the best of records to have at the moment.

I'm genuinely not bothered who starts to be honest, both have their strengths and weaknesses.

deedub93 likes this.
  15. SpursDisciple

SpursDisciple Booking: Mod abuse - overturned on appeal
    Forum Moderator

Sorry to disappoint but Lamela is not in our CL squad

16. Spurf

Spurf Thread Mover
    Forum Moderator

"Spurs winger Erik Lamela is available after just over a year out with a hip problem, but midfielder Victor Wanyama is still out with a knee problem."

That's taken from the BBC website. It was hardly likely he would come straight back into CL game against Madrid. However it is good news and will be like a new signing.

17. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

I'm curious to see a Lamela/Aurier combination down the right flank at some point this season, given how well Lamela worked with Trippier and Kaa in the past.

18. The RDBD

19. Roo

Roo Well-Known Member

Trippier will be fine against most he faces. But this is RM and their level of talent is on another planet. I’m not saying Aurier will do wonders, but Aurier is more of a deterrent due to his speed. The thought of Asensio, Isco or ronaldo up against Trippier is nothing short of terrifying. From an attacking aspect, although Trippier has an amazing cross, and is a very good passer of the ball, I don’t think that tactic will Give us much success against them, and I’d rather we use Aurier for width to try and get in behind them personally. Same for Rose. It might be good to see him start this one, and it give Ben Davies a much needed rest.

20. Think Ben has that honour due to 2 goals to add to 2 assists. There were some stats circulating earlier. :emoticon-0148-yes: