1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Tottenham Hotspur v Olympiakos

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by PleaseNotPoll, Sep 16, 2019.

1. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

Last night was because of Jose unless you’ve just started watching Spurs and missed the dynamics of our football of 2019

Why deny your own manager the credit he deserves?

2. PowerSpurs

PowerSpurs Well-Known Member

I didn't make any comment about credit. Jose did the right thing by changing the line up when we were 2-0 down. But it would still much more likely not work.

3. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

The same way you’ve denied Eriksen credit? ;)

Lovearsenalcock likes this.
  4. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

For?

What’s he done that deserves credit?

He got credit when he was earning it...I’m not going to latch onto what he did/was doing over a year ago and judge his output nowadays based on that.

He didn’t turn the game for us...I think people are just shocked that he upped the tempo to the required level for once...like I said he’s got no choice...he can’t mope around...it’s not Poch anymore

5. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

So getting an assist (should’ve been two) didn’t change the game?

6. The RDBD

The RDBD Well-Known Member

Eriksen put in a shift, which helped the final result.

I suspect Jose has read him the riot act.
    More of the same if you want to regularly play during your final
    Spurs season, otherwise get a decent bench cushion.

Similarly Jose now has to temper that with ensuring that Lo Celso
    (the current ostensible future) gets sufficient PL game time from
    now to then in order that an Eriksen successor is really ready to roll
    come August.

7. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

One thing I couldn't help but notice during the first half is the Reddit/Twitter crowd were still going in on Harry Winks when we were playing ****, to the point they were foaming at the mouth when Dier went off instead of him (which, on the plus side, did a temporary decrease in the word "sideways" being thrown around at the earliest opportunity...) yet come the post-match threads they were begrudgingly saying how Eriksen coming on also worked in freeing up space for Winks to roam the midfield more effectively and spray passes around

At some point this season I'm sure Danny Rose will rightfully become the fans' lightning rod like he was back in 2013, but it seems we have some ways to go for that to happen...

remembercolinlee likes this.
  8. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

Played his part...I applaud him for turning up for once

9. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

Who was Aurier swearing to when he celebrated his goal?

Looked like he was facing the crowd and said ‘**** off’

10. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Arguably biggest part. Jose had to rectify his mistake with the selection and needed that early sub to be perfect, which in fairness it was. If he gets Eriksen back to that sort of form til the end of the season we’ll be far better off for it and he can then leave the club on a high when he gets his likely Madrid move.

If only Rose and Toby could turn up for at least one game though.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2019

11. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Yeah saw that too.

There’s also a clip that shows what looks like him spitting into the crowd’s direction too. To give benefit of the doubt you could say the spit went in that direction because Winks (think it was him) jumps on his back the moment he spits so maybe changes the trajectory of where he was initially gonna gob but it don’t look great.

12. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

Yeah I also heard that when he got jumped he spat his gum out

No one in the crowd has said anything so I’m sure it was all innocent but it did make me <yikes>

13. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

He came over to my part of Park Lane after the game and seemed fine, applauded the fans too so I’m happy to give the benefit of the doubt to be honest. I don’t really see why he’d do it either, his form hasn’t been great for Spurs (huge understatement!) but the fans have never really gotten on his back, probably gets **** on social media but all players do. If Jose keeps getting these performances out of him he’ll win the doubters over soon enough, been impressive the last two games.

14. audrey.s.thackeray

audrey.s.thackeray Well-Known Member

I was not so impressed as others by the contribution from Eriksen. I didn't see any "game-changer" attributes. He looked slow and diffident, and made some elementary mistakes especially with his passing (wrong weight, and picking out opponents). He really looked out of condition to me. Strange how we can watch the same things but draw different conclusions!

And Aurier's goal looked a stunner from the Paxton end - but didn't it get diverted into the net by a defender when it was going wide? Thought I saw that on the replay.

Not meaning to detract from the combative second half performance. But don't want to hide the appalling level of effort in the first half, or the fact that things were still not perfect in the second. Plenty of work ahead for Morewinsyo!

15. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Nope. Cleanly nutmegs the defender.

I agree about Eriksen's performance, but he changed things by altering the shape of the team.
    His performance itself wasn't amazing, though it was a little better than we've seen recently, but it freed up other players.

16. NSIS

NSIS Well-Known Member

Nope. He caught it in the half volley with the outside of his right boot. That put the swerve on it.

17. audrey.s.thackeray

Still not sure about the nutmeg.
    But I can certainly agree with your comments on Eriksen.

18. audrey.s.thackeray

Well, I guess if PNP and NSIS are ganging up on me, I'll have to admit defeat.
    So my first impression from the other end of the pitch [and a bit more] was accurate, after all.

19. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

The two angles after the timestamp that I've set it to show it passing clean through, in my opinion:

The second is very clear.

20. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

RE Eriksen I think because we have a low opinion of him at the moment, we overly scrutinise any small thing he does wrong. Yesterday he gave away a few passes and done his customary **** corner but the space he was creating, along with some great passes, plus two blinding free kicks that led to one goal and should’ve led to two is what made it a good/ great performance in my eyes. That’s what you want your playmaker(s) to do.

When you consider Son lost possession countless times, Dele essentially cost us the second goal (something he even admitted in his interview which was big of him), Winks nearly cost us a goal but was bailed out by Dave, Kane missed a golden chance... it more or less gets swept under the carpet and forgotten about when a player like Eriksen has a lot of hate at the moment. It’s his own fault for being bad this season but when a player plays well I think it’s only right to give them the credit.