1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Tottenham Hotspur v Norwich City

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by PleaseNotPoll, Jan 21, 2020.

1. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

One thing about last night

After the Saltypool game a lot of us were on here saying we clearly set up with a plan and we did everything but score (and, you know, get awarded a throw-in...) and I have little doubt that when we play The Sheikh Mansour team we'll set up with a plan

But last night, and the same could be said for the Boro or Watford matches recently, what was the plan? It's all well and good having a clear plan for a dozen games a season, but we need a clear plan for all 38 games, because frankly I'm sick of seeing us struggle against teams towards the bottom of the table and routinely losing control of midfield after 60 minutes, as I saw plenty of that during the Ramos era thank you very much

remembercolinlee likes this.
  2. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

The Artist Formerly Known As ****ssoko writes...

So much for his bold proclamation that we'd lose, eh?

3. Citizen Kane.

Citizen Kane. Well-Known Member

Fixed <ok>

4. Citizen Kane.

The first half we were decent and at least had something resembling a shape. The plan was clearly to use Winks, Lamela and Lo Celso to get the ball out to Aurier and Son asap, and for them to then find Alli or Lucas in the middle. It worked beautifully for the 1st goal and Lamela had a great chance on the volley which Krul dealt with.

Two major issues with seeking out any plan is the fact that Son, Lucas and Lamela had almost zero impact on the game. Lucas has been overplayed this season and Jose explained that Lamela still isn't 100% since his injury, so i'm willing to cut them some slack. But Son is widely regarded as our second most gifted player after Kane. Since returning from suspension he has been shockingly bad. Looks like a shadow of his true self.

The real issue is that we go into each game carrying SO many passengers, any plan Maureen might have had goes out the window as the default becomes panicked damage control. Poor long-term investment is an issue, but cannot solely be blamed for individual players playing like they're scared of the ball. Nor can it be blamed for Maureen persisting with out of form/disinterested players when hungrier options are available.

5. "Thanks for that Brian"

"Thanks for that Brian" Well-Known Member

<laugh>

He'd say it's the way of things if you marry a Spanish girl. She sleeps with the kids in her bed. They're 7 and 5, FFS!

6. "Thanks for that Brian"

Things were starting to look a bit rocky in the second half. Then Mourinho threw on Dier and Eriksen...

Why the **** do that?

I just don't get it.

7. Citizen Kane.

I found it baffling. It wasn't Maureen's intent so he takes no credit for it, but we did look a bit better at the back once Gedson came on and Dier moved into the CB position. That Steam Barge outperformed Jan at CB is a damning critique of how far the Belgian has plummeted. In a few short months. For me, he looks to have mentally 'checked out'. He's been a superb servant for the club and has been my favourite player for yonks, but his contract isn't being renewed and he is playing like he knows it.

8. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

I actually thought subs done pretty well yesterday, Dier especially. He made a couple of important headers and tackles when at DM and then slotted in alongside Toby nicely. Probably one of his most efficient performances for a while, even if it was a cameo.

9. "Thanks for that Brian"

Somewhat better in defence tha nmidfield but he looked pretty much the same to me. Unfortunately, he needs protecting from his lack of athleticism.

I thought Winks was good.......................

10. audrey.s.thackeray

audrey.s.thackeray Well-Known Member

That's a bit young to be married!

11. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Thought he was fine in midfield too be honest, felt he added a decent level of protection for a change.

Yeah Winks was alright, there were two moments in the first half where he done his typical crab-like passes and it put us under pressure because the recipient was already being closed down, the safer pass would've actually to have gone forward! But other than that he looked ok and got stuck into play, was facing a team that's about his level though.

12. audrey.s.thackeray

Usually, when players go down as if they've been shot, the stretcher-bearers appear from nowehere in seconds. Where was any such assistance last night? Winks lay writhing in pain on the ground for ages before the ref stopped play (luckily Norwich didn't score while that was happening), and went on writhing while being treated, wincing in evident agony whenever they tested his reactions, etc. Eventually they got him to his feet, and he slowly and very painfully limped off, with minimal support from the staff accompanying him. He should have been taken off on a STRETCHER!! or at least CARRIED!!!!! Who knows how much further damage has been done to Winksy's ankle(?) by making him try to walk? Shameful treatment.

13. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

That's our medical staff for you, their thinking is if more players are injured they're still in a job.

14. audrey.s.thackeray

Needing a long-term replacement for Hugo now?
    [It's time for you to get back to work now, I think, DH! :emoticon-0136-giggl]

Dier Hard likes this.
  15. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Don't worry, Audrey, I'm really good at looking busy when at work :cool:

If I were still a betting man I'd say either Andre Onana or Thomas Strakosha. I did hope Gazzaniga could takeover as I tried weighing up his pros and cons to Hugo's but I think he's just not quite a good enough shot stopper to takeover now, I'm glad we got to see Gazza given a long enough go in the sticks though, it's the best way to judge a player and I'm very happy with him as a number 2. Tough job for whoever does eventually replace Hugo though, he may have declined in the last 18-24 months or so but he's been head and shoulders above any keeper I've see at the Lane in my lifetime and at his peak was one of the top three keepers in the world. No pressure to whoever does replace him!

Lovearsenalcock likes this.
  16. SpursDisciple

SpursDisciple Booking: Mod abuse - overturned on appeal
    Forum Moderator

It will be interesting to see how he does now he's had an enforced rest. May have gotten a little stale with non stop football, and possibly we could have the world class version back.

Dier Hard likes this.
  17. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Would be great if that was the case. With our defence at the moment we really do need a prime Hugo bailing them out like he done so much in his earlier years.

18. audrey.s.thackeray

Well, you must be very young! Ted Ditchburn? Pat Jennings? Ray Clements?
    And I've probably missed one or two in between!
    Hugo's been good, but not quite that good!

19. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Haha, young-ish - I hit the big 3-0 a couple months back!

20. audrey.s.thackeray

I was going to ask "from which direction?" but that would be disrespectful........
    OK - nobbut a lad, after all! Totally exonerated!
    A friend of mine went out and bought a book called "Approaching Middle Age" on his 27th birthday.
    I'm thinking of getting it now, too. I'm three times his age when he did!