1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Tottenham Hotspur v Newcastle United

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by PleaseNotPoll, Sep 25, 2020.

1. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

It’s a room for improvement no matter how hard you try to dissect it with stats. At the end of the day 24 shots yielding 1 goal is a poor return and obvious room for improvement.

2. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

that doesn’t matter because some stats say that we average really high on the shot to conversion rate so that means 24 shots yielding 1 goal was just my imagination yesterday

nothing to see here

3. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

But they're not even doing that. They're still picking and choosing, even in the same match.
    Dier? Handball. Three different Newcastle defenders? Not handball.
    This doesn't even get looked at by VAR, apparently:

They're doing what they've always done, which is selectively enforcing the rules, then crying when they're criticised.
    The whole structure of match officials is wrong and that's why we've got so many **** ones.
    They need to look at why they keep ****ing everything up, starting from those making the rules and working their way down.

Lovearsenalcock and vimhawk like this.
  4. The Huddlefro

The Huddlefro Well-Known Member

I’m surprised that wasn’t even looked at. I’m not 100% sure it would have been given as his hand was perhaps very marginally outside the profile of his body, but you’d have thought it would be checked.

5. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

He jumps into it and his arm's in a very unnatural position, as he raises it to block the ball while looking straight at it.
    It's much more of a handball than the Dier one, especially under the new rules.
    They then go straight up the other end and get their penalty.

6. The Huddlefro

That was after their pen, no? I think I missed it live because I was too fuming to pay attention.

But yeah having now seen it a few times I think it should have been given by the letter of the law.

Still have no idea how that was a free kick on Højbjerg in the first place though.

7. PowerSpurs

PowerSpurs Well-Known Member

No it isn't. If we are already in the top three on converted shots for the whole of last season having gradually improved over the previous three seasons that shows we are already getting it right and to change it based on one poor match would be stupid.

8. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

No, that's the replay that I've posted. It happened just before their free-kick/penalty/etc. They didn't replay it until later.

Alfie Conn and The Huddlefro like this.
  9. The Huddlefro

Got it. I was discussing the game on a group chat (full of bloody Geordies of all things) at the time and my stream was a few minutes behind so it’s all got a bit muddled. Either way, that should at least have been looked at and there’s a strong chance we’d have had a pen and buried the game.

PleaseNotPoll likes this.
  10. PowerSpurs

PowerSpurs Well-Known Member

Another issue I've seen no comment on is the time added on. Once he gives the penalty (I think the incident happened in the 93rd minute?) the the play that happened after that is nullified. So after the penalty is taken there should still be two minutes to go.

11. paultheplug

paultheplug Well-Known Member

I would feel sympathy for the refs if they applied the the rules consistently. It is very apparent that they do not. It is surely time that the refs had to face a questioning from the media after every match to explain their decision to all of us.

Lovearsenalcock and vimhawk like this.
  12. The Huddlefro

I would be an advocate of this, and also of miking them up as rugby do so the watching public can hear the discussions they have with each other and the players.

Alfie Conn likes this.
  13. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

They should also enforce the rugby rules of respect to the officials from players.
    We need to get better refs and nobody remotely sensible would want to be one at the moment.

14. The Huddlefro

This is entirely true and I know from the experiences several family members have had of refereeing at lower levels that bad attitudes towards referees is endemic across the game. I don’t want to make this a rugby/football thing because they’re very different games but from playing both growing up you are drilled in the former to have a certain attitude towards the ref and you simply won’t play if you’re not behaving. Bad attitudes have begun to creep into the professional game now in rugby and this is mostly treated with derision and rightly so.

But yes, miking the refs up will also help with this issue. It’s one thing shouting at the ref, it’s another doing so when you know you’ll be streamed into millions of pubs, living rooms etc around the world. And enforcement becomes much easier too. I think refs in football let too much slide because if they reacted to every incident then a lot of games wouldn’t finish 11 vs 11.

PleaseNotPoll likes this.
  15. paultheplug

paultheplug Well-Known Member

A bit of chicken and egg here. What would come first. At the moment the teams that seem to get the favorable are also the ones that hound the referee

16. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

Exactly. Remove this benefit and the misbehaviour goes away, so the standard of refereeing should rise.
    Being a nasty arsehole to officials right now is encouraged by managers. Intelligent ****s.
    A few red cards at the start of the new season and that becomes a liability. Managers don't want liabilities.

paultheplug likes this.
  17. The Huddlefro

I guess the point is that if the audio from the ref’s mike is being included on the broadcast streams, then everyone is going to know if the ref is telling certain players to not behave in that way or letting it slide from others. It’ll be full accountability. Give the refs the power to tell a player once to move away and if they don’t it’s an immediate yellow.

18. The RDBD

The RDBD Well-Known Member

Yeah right :

You would be sent off the pitch for calling rugby officials cheats.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2020
    The Huddlefro and PleaseNotPoll like this.
  19. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

You're supposed to get sent off for calling football officials cheats, too.
    You'll never guess who the Technical Director of IFAB and current architect of the ton of recent rule changes is, by the way... <whistle>

The Changing Man likes this.
  20. bigsmithy9

bigsmithy9 Well-Known Member

I think referees who allow or disallow penalty decisions should appear on tv straight after the final whistle to explain it and explain how stupid we are!!!!!?

Lovearsenalcock likes this.