1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Tottenham Hotspur v Newcastle United

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by The RDBD, Aug 9, 2018.

1. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

One thing I've seen suggested that may hold some weight: Aurier certainly has a future at Spurs if we play three at the back.

In games where we play four at the back he is a liability, as he leaves his centre back isolated which also puts additional pressure on the midfield to cover the space that he's a good twenty yards away from, somethings which was fully evident this afternoon and was evident several times last season - but if we have three at the back these problems would be severely marginalised as we'd have the defensive cover and there would be less pressure on the midfield. There's a reason this is worth suggesting, too, considering he was immense against Dortmund last season in a game where we played a back three, meaning the negatives of his game were hidden while the positives were highlighted.

Of course what this also means is that, in games where we play four at the back, KWP should be considered at least his equal in the pecking order...

2. vimhawk

vimhawk Well-Known Member

Watched the game in a resort bar, then down to Fuengirola beach in for the afternoon. A good day! Thought I'd get that out of the way because darker days are drawing near. As Justin Heyward (and RCL) would say.

bigsmithy9 and remembercolinlee like this.
  3. All well and good, but that 'excuse' for his errors screams professional incompetence or just a ****ty can't be arsed attitude.
    He's an international RB/WB. If he can't play in a back 4 he's not worth having. IMHO........

Dier Hard likes this.
  4. LockStock

LockStock Well-Known Member

I've been hoping for a while now that we go back to three at the back with Rose and Trippier / Aurier as wing-backs. Toby Jan and Sanchez as CBs.

When we used this formation before, we had the best defence in the league. Granted, we had Walker then, but I think especially in light of us being short of quality in the CM position, and with Son disappearing for a while, this might work best for us moving forward in the short term at least.

Watching Sissoko and Aurier not quite handle the wing properly is painful.

5. Roo

Roo Well-Known Member

It’s difficult to read too much into the first game. The players need a few matches to settle. (Especially wearing the green shirt) <laugh>

I have to say how disappointed I was with Kane AGAIN though. Something just doesn’t seem right with him. Totally different after the injury last season, and has not been right for months. It really concerns me going into this season.

Other than that, I agree about Aurier. Perhaps it’s time to use him as more of a wing back. The gap on the right that he left before that Newcastle chance yesterday was utterly appalling. He’s a bit of a liability at the back.

Lovearsenalcock likes this.
  6. bigsmithy9

bigsmithy9 Well-Known Member

I do envy you Vimhawk. My days of sitting on a beach are past....have a nice beer on me as you stare at the pretty ladies!!!!!?

7. humanbeingincroydon

It wouldn't be the first time we signed an international wing back who isn't particularly good in a back four...

8. The RDBD

The RDBD Well-Known Member

Post-match stuff ...

Manager :

9. humanbeingincroydon

Poch has said there's no reason to worry about Lucas and Dier being subbed, with Dier being withdrawn due to cramp while Lucas was a precautionary measure - just as long as we all forget that Lamela was supposed to be fine for the ICC match against Milan, and that was two weeks ago...

10. redwhiteandermblue

redwhiteandermblue Well-Known Member

I'm thinking we're going to see some combination of three at the back, Llorente, N'Koudou, Amos and/or Skipp. If he goes with two natural cms, it could be

Lloris
    Alderweireld Sanchez Vertonghen
    Aurier Skipp Amos Davies
    Dele Eriksen
    Kane

I wouldn't be surprised if we see Dier but not Aurier, which would leave Skipp out. While we're on the subject, I'm not convinced we'll see Trippier any time soon.

(edit: don't know why I forgot about both Dembele and Sissoko...maybe because I'm really curious how Skipp could do.) We could play an all-veteran 11 with both of them. What we may be really short on is attacking players...

Last edited: Aug 13, 2018

11. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

I hope Moura is given a long enough run in the team to find form. I believe that's all he needs, enough time to mentally adapt to the game intensity...yeah he was a bit quiet on the weekend...but this was like his proper debut for me...having had a full pre season with us...I think he can be magic for us.

Roo, deedub93 and Diego like this.
  12. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

Moura is a great player and should not be a bit part bench man, will/could he replace a starter for you? I really wouldn't like to make that call.

13. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

Started for us on the weekend...it's a hard choice to make. I would drop Eriksen into CM and play Moura on the right with Alli in the middle and Son on the left.

Eriksen can spray passes from the centre and is decent at running with the ball but he's ****ing dire at defending so we would probably lose a bit of protection at the back but tbh I find our midfield a bit rigid and lacking in attacking flair so I would make that decision.

BobbyD likes this.
  14. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

So who misses out, Dembele, Wanyama or Dier?

15. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

Well Wanyama isn't on form or fitness..so him for a start. Would have to be Dembele for me as Dier is the more accomplished defensively. Dembele is great at holding the ball..10 men can't get it off him but for me he has never quite had the attacking ability I expect from someone playing his role.

Dier Hard, BobbyD, Roo and 1 other person like this.
  16. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

When I pick a team for us I always end up with about 13 players, the FA won't allow that though apparently <laugh>

****ing hard being a manager innit :grin:

17. remembercolinlee

remembercolinlee Well-Known Member

Tbh we should be starting Son above Kane.
    Son goes after this match so it is thd only game that we use him in and Kane is simply not fit.

18. Roo

Roo Well-Known Member

Agree with this completely.
    We all **** our pants when Kane got injured against Bournemouth but we actually went on a period of excellent attacking play, scoring freely. Since bringing him back in the team, we’ve looked slow offensively, and it’s not even like he’s justified that with significant goals.
    We need to change something up, because it’s been all too easy for our opposition.

19. Play Sonny!! Harry desperately wants to play, but he looks a yard off the pace and his touch deserted him on Saturday a couple of times.

Need to persist with Lucas. He's quality but even if fitter than when he arrived, getting up to speed for the PL doesn't happen overnight.

Big Vic is out of the picture it seems, but at least we have the Dier/Dembele (either/both) options. I thought Moussa looked decent when he came on against the Toon.

Roo likes this.
  20. Roo

Roo Well-Known Member

<ok> spot on.
    Lucas just needs time on the pitch. It’s clear to see he’s got the ability. Once it “clicks”, he’s gonna be exciting to watch.

It’d be nice to see how a front 4 of Dele, Lucas, Eriksen and Son get on together. Pace, intelligence and creativity galore amongst those 4.

The “persistence with Kane” doesn’t seem to be any different than it was at the end of last season. And if we’re honest, despite scoring 6 goals for England, he didn’t actually play well.
    It’s sounds bloody harsh saying that about a 30 goal a season striker, but something just isn’t right. He doesn’t look himself at all.

Spur of the Moment likes this.