1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Tottenham Hotspur v Manchester United

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by PleaseNotPoll, Apr 9, 2021.

1. Billy The Spur

Billy The Spur Well-Known Member

Gollum really is a classless little shiete isn`t he, accusing Son of cheating while at the same time totally oblivious to Penandes falling over several times under zero contact or Rashford falling over clutching his face etc etc. See just last week, Penandes falling over in the Europa league after walking into an outstretched arm.

The bloke is a grade A hypocrite, his Penited team have been conning the officials ever since he arrived, endless games have been influenced in Penited`s favour by referees who can not wait to reward their cheating, with a never ending supply of penalty kicks given after their players go to ground under miniscule contact.

Penited are a bang average team being dragged up the league by Penandes` etc cheating and officials who dare not rule against them.

2. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

Add to that his talk of letting children go hungry when he's got Marcus Rashford in his team, which makes him sound like a tone deaf berk

3. RRich

RRich Well-Known Member

Mourinho in for Fellaini.
    Please. No.

4. humanbeingincroydon

I refer you to the transfer thread

RRich likes this.
  5. remembercolinlee

remembercolinlee Well-Known Member

Leicester, Southampton and Leeds were all in League 1 15 or 16 years ago so they've improved hugely.
    West Ham have improved too as have Palace (now enjoying their longest run in the top division), Burnley and Brighton.

Most have said that Enic and Levy have done a great job so it's not like it's being ignored.

For me (like I have said previously ... so sorry for boring you lot but my kids are sick of me droning on!!!!) Enic and Levy broke my trust with their disgraceful furlough decision.

I don't support us for trophies ... we were fighting relegation when I was first a spur in 75 and went down in 77.
    But I am genuinely sick of us being unwatchable. Maybe I am just old or am unrealistic but I want to enjoy football.

I have no issue with being defensive and playing on the break as it can be entertaining...it wasn't popular on here but I had no issue with how Leicester won the league...they were good to watch.

I could tolerate boring football if results were good and we used that basis to build a more pleasing but pragmatic style...that's effectively what JM did at Chelsea in 2004-2006.

But this turgid rubbish is unforgivable.

Manchester United (a), first half v Newcastle (h), 2nd half v Southampton (a), first half v West ham and Arsenal (both home), Man city (h) and Palace and Burnley at home plus Everton in the FA Cup are the only games where I have been entertained
    That's 4 whole games and 5 halves.
    And I am being generous tbh.
    Neutrals might have enjoyed the United, Everton, West Ham and City games.
    We have played 50 games.

Enic and Levy are either not giving a toss about us (who paid memberships at £50 each or paid a non refundable deposit on season tickets) being served this dross or genuinely believe this is acceptable football...either is unacceptable.

Final aside...I am number 19000 plus on the season ticket waiting list as are my girls...we were all invited to register an interest in getting one...suggests that they know there will be a lot becoming available tbh

6. bigsmithy9

bigsmithy9 Well-Known Member

It could be worse. We could be Southend fans!!!?

I must say how sharp Cavani was. He saw gaps a half hour before our defence!.......and they thought he was finished!!!!? I guess it's our defence that is finished.

7. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

To borrow a phrase from our Scouse friends, he's a ****ing gobshite.
    McTominay hit Son in the face. It's a clearly intentional movement of the hand. Lamela was sent off for less against Arsenal.
    Gary Neville sets the tone and everyone else goes along with it, including the Salford Hobbit.

Bruno Fernandes Dive as a google search brings up so many results that you wouldn't know where to start.
    He hasn't even been at the club 18 months. That's a long time for OleAtTheWheel to have been starving the prick.

8. Spurf

Spurf Thread Mover
    Forum Moderator

From 1982 when Spurs became the first Football Club in the world to go public the idea that Spurs is a club is stretching it. From 1982 Spurs have been a business first, dedicated to the idea of selling loyalty to a 'club' as their major product. There is no doubt that Enic have done an amazing job in terms of business, elevating an already famous international club into a worldwide brand. I think we have to accept that the brand comes first followed by the football team. The results have to be commensurate with the brand ethos and the employment of Jose is as much to do with increasing brand awareness as it is to do with football. From the brand awareness point of view Jose has been a success but it has now reached a point where the poor results are leaching away the credibility of that same brand. It cannot be long before the decision to move on from Jose has to be taken and I would be very surprised if Spurs were not already sorting out a replacement.

This is at complete odds to what I as a fan want, which is to watch entertaining committed football with players ready to run until they die for the badge. Let's be honest I have much more chance of that following a lower division club where you truly are a member, but as it happens , I would guess, we are all Spurs supporters because we always have been we can't change that like changing where we shop. Sadly that means that at the moment I have lost some of the feeling I get when watching Spurs so when we lose again I am almost not that bothered. That's why we need a new manager IMO otherwise my attachment to Spurs withers, and I am not alone.

perrymanlegend and PowerSpurs like this.
  9. The RDBD

The RDBD Well-Known Member

Let us know how your ascent up the list goes
    (number, rate of change etc) .

That will speak volumes about the mood of existing ST buyers etc.

remembercolinlee likes this.
  10. PowerSpurs

PowerSpurs Well-Known Member

In the seven seasons prior to the ENIC takeover each of Leicester, Leeds and West Ham finished above us in the league more often than not. None of them have done that regularly since. Chelsea, Arsenal, Man Utd, Liverpool, Aston Villa, Newcastle each finished above us at least 5 times. Only Chelsea have maintained that recently. So I stand by my claim that only City have improved more. I don't really think the football was very good over that period either. Under ENIC the football has generally been good to watch. Although not recently.
    I agree about the Mourinho appointment and on the furlough thing, I, too, emailed the club and told them they had got it wrong. I think Levy is waiting until we are definitely out of Europe to sack Mourinho. That is probably the right call as it saves money by all accounts and no-one is likely to make a difference over the next few games. Even if by some miracle we won the next 8 games and ended up with a trophy and being in the CL, I still think Mourinho will be sacked, because he is clearly not delivering what he promised, which I think is levy's main criterion for dismissing managers.

11. humanbeingincroydon

This is what it ultimately boils down to

If one player is routinely at fault, it's the player's fault
    If multiple players are routinely at fault, it's the manager's fault

How many players are coming into the system and getting blamed for identical mistakes?

12. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

I just watched the Son interview on Twitter, bloke looks done. Interviewer even said "I've never seen you this low"... If that ain't a signal to those at the top I don't know what is. One of the happiest guys you can probably find is as glum as anything, I can't imagine what the atmosphere must be like around the place if even he is looking shot.

There's even a part - and I may be looking too much into this, nor will I pretend to be a body language expert lol - where the Spurs TV guy says "we've got 8 games left, including the cup final" and the moment he finishes that line, Son takes a deep breath and raises his eyebrows before responding, it's as if he's thinking 'we've got **** all chance in that' but knows he can't say it out loud.

13. "Thanks for that Brian"

"Thanks for that Brian" Well-Known Member

This is OVER....just as it was when we sacked Poch.

Everyone knows it...dragging this out may save the club a few quid...but at what cost?

14. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

I think that’s what Levy will probably be thinking; sack him once CL/ EL is definitely out of reach to save a few £m.
    Though what he’s probably not taking into account is that’ll then likely be the catalyst for Kane knocking on his door the morning after, with possibly Son following closely behind.

remembercolinlee likes this.
  15. remembercolinlee

That's cos you've picked a time span that suits your point of view.
    Not criticising cos that's what I have done.
    I chose 16 years cos that's when we started the improvement. In 2004/05 we finished 9th.

At that time Leeds and Leicester were in the championship (on their way to league one). Southampton were relegated and on their journey to league one).
    Brighton, West Ham and Burnley were all in the Championship.

5 of those 6 teams are now established in the league.

That is a big improvement from all of them ... arguably better than us or at the very least on par with us.

The football under Jol, Redknapp and Pochettino was really good most of the time. Even under Ramos the football was entertaining at times.
    I found AVB/ Sherwood two years boring. Found the football under Hoddle/pleat very hit and miss.

But what we are watching now is as bad as what we watched under bloke in a coat (probably worse considering the players we now have compared to back then).

I have no issue with spending within our means and have regularly argued that I think the club's approach has been correct.

JMs continued employment plus the other decisions (such as the furlough issue) suggest they have taken their eye off the ball.

Enic and Levy were brutal with Hoddle, Jol, Ramos, Pochettino, Redknapp, AVB, Sherwood when they felt the need ... maybe they need to look at themselves through the same lense?

16. Roo

Roo Well-Known Member

I reckon you’re spot on with this.
    And if so, it’ll be yet another terrible “on the field” decision.

17. humanbeingincroydon

There's a few people suggesting that Levy wants him to resign

18. remembercolinlee

This is his last job imho so the chances of him resigning are about as high as my chances of persuading Mrs RCL that I am not an annoying twat!

19. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

There's no way this is his last job. He may go back to punditry for a bit, as there's clearly a place there for him. He's box office, if nothing else.
    Clubs in this division will offer him a contract, but the likes of the MLS, Turkey or the Arabic countries will chuck money at him.

20. humanbeingincroydon

Juve might consider him, too