1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Tottenham Hotspur v Manchester United

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by PleaseNotPoll, Dec 2, 2019.

1. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

^ Pretty proud of that save <laugh>

2. "Thanks for that Brian"

"Thanks for that Brian" Well-Known Member

Are you free 3.00 pm on Saturday?

Gazza couldn't have saved that.

remembercolinlee and Dier Hard like this.
  3. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

A word on Dele though, he's so far been Jose's real shining light. Got him back to his 2015-2017 form which has been sorely missed, that goal the other night didn't deserve to be on the losing team. It was ****ing majestic and should be a goal of the season contender for me, we all love a 35 yarder in the top corner but that touch and finish was pure and utter filth. It takes someone with big ****ing balls to pull off a move like that and those sorts of goals and skills are what made us fall in love with Dele in the early years, so long may it continue.

Been disappointed at how we've defended under Jose, he's a master tactician yet I feel his tactics late in the game haven't reflected so. Is it early days still? Yes of course. Did I still expect better? Absolutely.

As for the CM selection, I'm just gonna hope it gave him a massive kick up the arse, if he picks that again he literally is no better than Poch.

4. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Got back from Malta a few hours ago. I'll be fresh by then, count me in.

5. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I think that Dier did a job in Mourinho's first two league games, but he burnt himself out by the latter stages.
    He covered some silly distance and he's not up to it at the moment. Let him do that, then sub him off.
    Use Wanyama, Skipp or even Sissoko to do it at the death.

I don't see the issue being at centre-half. They're not being protected properly and we're not controlling the midfield.
    Winks suffered from the same thing yesterday, where he was expected to play on his own in the middle of the park. Ridiculous.

The 3-5-2 or whatever it is can work, but the balance of the side needs to be right.
    It needs a creative midfielder, someone shielding the defence and options from the bench.

6. littleDinosaurLuke

littleDinosaurLuke Well-Known Member

I think as the resident neutral, but with a vested interest in this game, I noticed the following last night.
    Last year you won 3-0 whilst conceding a lot of possession and allowing Utd a lot of attempts - albeit mainly speculative ones. You played a counter attacking game knowing that Utd's defence couldn't handle swift passing and movement in the final third. You capitalised on that early in the second half in particular.
    That game plan worked.
    This year there was no attempt to adopt what had worked previously - despite the same players still being available.
    Instead you allowed Utd to use the team's best asset - Rashford's pace - to great effect.
    Mourinho's tactics were questionable in this respect.
    I'd have to accept in this analysis though that you had Dembele and Dier giving you some control in midfield last year - and an in form and seemingly committed Eriksen did well in a no.10 role. There was none of that this time.
    McTominay was the top midfield enforcer this time.

7. bigsmithy9

bigsmithy9 Well-Known Member

Hope you stayed at the Ramla Bay hotel.My visit was in 1972.Fantastic.

8. bigsmithy9

You may have noticed our right back is not much of a defender,hence Rashford. I wonder if our right back is really a right winger?

littleDinosaurLuke likes this.
  9. littleDinosaurLuke

littleDinosaurLuke Well-Known Member

You're not wrong

10. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

My cousin stayed there earlier this year and loved it. I did stay in Mellieha but I went in what was classed as a penthouse flat via AirBnB, was absolutely fantastic. Overlooked the sea and was literally a two minute drive from Ghadira Bay. Was a perfect way to celebrate my 30th, got really lucky with the weather too considering the time of year as it averaged about 20-22c for the whole week barring the last day.

11. bigsmithy9

Yes. Looked after us well.Nice people.Nice food.Hardly anyone on the road...then!....and we got well burnt!!!!

Dier Hard likes this.