1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Tottenham Hotspur v Manchester United

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by PleaseNotPoll, May 11, 2017.

1. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

I've seen a few people on social media kvetching about people who weren't there, obviously missing the fact there were a few bloody good reasons why...
    Jimmy Greaves is recovering from a major stroke, so having him out there in front of 36,000+ people in the pouring rain would be downright cruel - and besides, he was given a private final visit to The Lane a few weeks ago
    Gazza wasn't there as he's putting his health first, and given the **** he's been through who are we to say that he shouldn't?
    Defoe and Dawson being there would have been disrespectful to Sunderland and Hull respectively, especially Hull given they'd been relegated a couple of hours earlier

Yes there's players we'd all have liked to see, off the top of my head I could say Lineker, Peters, Klinsmann, Hughton and Woodgate were notable absentees, but moaning because one player wasn't there when we had so many who were is being more than a little entitled.

Last edited: May 15, 2017
  2. O.Spurcat

O.Spurcat Well-Known Member

Lineker was working.
    Peters has serious health issues.
    Klinsman was at the NLD because he was unable to make yesterday.
    Hughton was committed to Brightons open top bus parade.

3. So we got Johnny Pratt & Simon Davies instead!! <laugh>

(No offence to either btw!)

4. "Thanks for that Brian"

"Thanks for that Brian" Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, in the world of Twitter rumour, innuendo and rampant bollocks are king. Less truth and insight than Fleet Street.

remembercolinlee likes this.
  5. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

Klinsmann was in Buenos Aires yesterday for the Superclasico.

6. "Thanks for that Brian"

Terry Naylor. 'The Meat Hook'. A former Smithfield porter and the only player who would wave to our fans in The North Bank. A legend to some of us of a certain age.

Thanks mate!

7. O.Spurcat

Pratt was always going to be there because he works in match day hospitality. All our ex players who work in hospitality were there apart from Mullery who was also at Brightons celebrations.

8. Bless him! - not everybodies cup of tea as a player but my memories of him are positive. A real trier on the pitch and was always a gent with the fans. In fact when we were all on the trains heading to away games he was more like another fan!!! <laugh>

9. Another no-nonsense, good egg!! <ok>

10. SpursDisciple

SpursDisciple Booking: Mod abuse - overturned on appeal
    Forum Moderator

He had the misfortune of being picked ahead of Hoddle a few times. Not popular with the paying public for obvious reasons.

11. SpursDisciple

SpursDisciple Booking: Mod abuse - overturned on appeal
    Forum Moderator

Hadn't realised how unwell Peters is. Very sad. Hope the club (as well as West Ham and Norwich) are helping him. Big hero when I was a child.

Surely everyone knows why Hughton wasn't there. Living in South East his day got more publicity than ours.

12. He was around well before GH and was a real workhouse type player - but you're right, he didn't get much support: lovely quote from him:
    'I had been getting it in the neck a bit from some of the sections of the crowd at Spurs but Bill expected his players to be men, and he said that the crowd paid our wages and were entitled to have their opinions. So one day, before I was due to play my first game at Old Trafford, I asked him what I could expect. He replied that it would just be like playing at Spurs, except that up there 55,000 people would hate me, whereas at Spurs it was only 45,000!' <laugh>

I just have this memory of him working so hard to improve with his left foot - after 2/3 seasons he could almost stand on it!! <cheers>

deedub93 and remembercolinlee like this.
  13. Unfortunately, it's Alzheimer's I believe.
    Another down to earth, lovely man - and what a footballer!! Still married to his childhood sweetheart from 1964 :emoticon-0152-heart
    Oh the memories come flooding back...... here I go again <wah>

14. O.Spurcat

Now you've started me off again. But you're right, Martin Peters is a lovely man. I wish him a return to good health.

15. maggie blanchflower

maggie blanchflower Well-Known Member

Was Adele there?

16. "Thanks for that Brian"

Sir Alf said he was 20 years ahead of his time in 1966. It only took 50 years for Dele Alli to come to the fore. The nearest thing I've seen to the original.

17. It was 10 I think, but with inflation in the 70's it was probably more accurate <laugh>

18. You're right though, there are distinct similarities: brilliant AM's good with both feet and the ability to ghost into spaces...... Peters was always a much calmer character, mind!!

SpursDisciple likes this.
  19. "Thanks for that Brian"

Piers Morgan has posed Spurs fans the question why Sulzeer 'Judas Iscariot' Campbell wasn't invited to Sunday's game?

It's because he's the only person who's a bigger **** than you, Piers.

20. The RDBD

The RDBD Well-Known Member

Would that be Alf Ramsay, the former Spurs player who served under Arthur Rowe ??
    Whatever became of him when once left Spurs ...