1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Tottenham Hotspur v Manchester City

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by PleaseNotPoll, Apr 8, 2019.

1. BobbyD

BobbyD President

and eriksen set up sonny for the 1-0 win at whl

2. Left on the Shelf

Left on the Shelf Well-Known Member

If we were going in at that level then Brookes at Bournemouth would be a better investment. Looks a potential star in the making...

Dier Hard likes this.
  3. BobbyD

BobbyD President

It's okay bud, i can see what you see.

When you don't have a christian eriksen in the team you end up with a mess like the chelsea midfield which is woefully uncreative if RLC isn't playing although Kante is getting better at it

Roo and Dier Hard like this.
  4. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Completely agree. He can play as a CM too. Been a revelation this season. Helps run a game.

Left on the Shelf likes this.
  5. BobbyD

BobbyD President

100% this

remembercolinlee likes this.
  6. BobbyD

BobbyD President

you do realise you beat city because you went out to attack them and got the away goal.

7. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

It’s why I’m dreading this summer should he go (which is likely).

We won’t be able to directly replace him, just like Bale and Modric, so it’s about Poch and the scouting team looking at ways we can strengthen in other areas to make up for his loss.

8. NSIS

NSIS Well-Known Member

Of course. But then it was a very open, crazy game. They came at us, as we expected, but forgot to close their back door. We hit them on the counter.

9. Roo

Roo Well-Known Member

I find the views on Eriksen somewhat surprising.
    I have to agree with most of what @Dier Hard has been saying. Eriksen offers so much to our team, and we’d soon find ourselves in a “modric” situation if he were to leave. The bloke runs no stop and is crucial in pulling the strings for us. Ok, he’s not had the best of seasons, but in general he’s been brilliant for us since we signed him. He’s played god knows how many games non stop because he’s never injured and doesn’t have any competition for his place, so he’s bound to have a dip in form/performances.
    Selling him would require a complete system change, IMO, and we’d never spend and/or be able to find the right player to fill his boots anytime soon. We’d soon miss him.

How we’re having conversations about selling Kane and Eriksen on here is beyond me! <laugh>

10. remembercolinlee

remembercolinlee Well-Known Member

<laugh>

Lovearsenalcock likes this.

11. remembercolinlee

remembercolinlee Well-Known Member

In fairness most think he will go cos of his contract situation so it's natural to play down what he brings and look at his weaknesses...given a choice of him staying or leaving everyone (bar one twa....) would love him to stay.

12. BobbyD

BobbyD President

probably not. As you said you can go the liverpool way which is to have a super front 3, really good attacking full backs and a solid defence. Their midfield 3 are basically all workhorses and don't really offer much cutting edge.

13. Solid_Air 2

Solid_Air 2 Well-Known Member

it made sense at the time for us ,though clearly we are looking to add creativity in MF , but for Spurs is the defence still all that and can the front 3 do it all by themselves like ours.
    Still think for both Spurs and England it is a shame Dele Alli didn't continue for longer as a MF rather than as a wide forward / 2nd striker .

BobbyD likes this.
  14. bigsmithy9

bigsmithy9 Well-Known Member

Ajax,just like City,are getting a lot of good press. You know,they may be worried about playing Spurs!!!!

15. The Huddlefro

The Huddlefro Well-Known Member

I think it's Dele's future to drop back a bit and play a progressive role in midfield, probably in a 4-3-3 as he has done for England recently, and for us out of necessity on occasion. He's got everything in his locker needed to transition back to more of a box-to-box role at the highest level. If we can pair Dier, Dele and get the right 3rd CM to fill them out, then I think you're getting a really balanced midfield group that lets Dele exploit his footballing intelligence, physical abilities and naturally combative nature while still getting him forward in positions where he can link up with Kane and Son.

Just as Modric couldn't be thrown into a CM position straight away in the PL, I think its done Dele tremendous good to have a role for a few years where he's had a lot of freedom in the attacking third and not had to take as much responsibility doing the dirty work in the engine room. Once Eriksen leaves in the summer and we shake the squad up I anticipate us changing the system a bit too and I really hope we get to see Dele 'come of age' and take more responsibility on the pitch as part of that, in a deeper role.

16. yossarian

yossarian Well-Known Member

I think the point is that his heart's not really in it anymore, in which case get some big money for him (don't lose him for nothing) and re-invest in the squad. I would love to see an Eriksen dedicated to the cause playing for us but if that's not to be.........

17. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

End of the day whatever Eriksen does...if we went out on Wednesday because he **** his pants...I wouldn't be able to forgive him. His assist last week wouldnt make up for that or his 20 assists throughout the season. I would never forgive him for costing us the chance of reaching the semi final due to the manner of his mistake

Turning back to play the ball back into danger when he had 70% of the pitch to hoof it into?

Tut tut tut

He's one lucky boy.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2019
  18. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

“Welcome to Spurs, you can be our best player(s) but we’re gonna do our utmost to find faults with you and exacerbate them, enjoy your stay!”.

humanbeingincroydon and Roo like this.
  19. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

If you want to see some seriously butthurt City fans you should give BlueMoon a read

Example 1

I want us to tear them a new one.

Especially that twat Trippier. Just watched it back and he's giving it the old fingers to the lips job.

<laugh>

20. yossarian

yossarian Well-Known Member