1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Tottenham Hotspur v Manchester City

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by PleaseNotPoll, Apr 12, 2018.

1. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

A large chunk of that could be pinned on the period where both Wanyama and Toby were injured, meaning Dier had to fill in for both at the same time - but as that's obviously impossible, and Dier filled in at the back, it meant we had a weakness in midfield.

The obvious solution would have been to switch to a back four sooner and put Dier as a midfield enforcer instead of persist with three at the back with no real defensive midfielder, but considering how poor we started when playing four at the back we ended up dithering for too long.

2. SpursDisciple

SpursDisciple Booking: Mod abuse - overturned on appeal
    Forum Moderator

<laugh>

Diego likes this.
  3. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I think that the problems at fullback have actually been with our backup.
    Last season we had Davies and Trippier in reserve and they generally did a good job when called upon.
    This time we've had Aurier and Rose and they've largely failed to step up their game when needed.
    Kyle Walker-Peters has been decent, including a very impressive debut out of position, but he's not played very often.

Dier Hard likes this.
  4. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Great point.

Rose and Aurier have been more a hindrance than asset this season. Whenever Davies and Tripps stepped in in previous seasons they rarely let us down - and they've rarely let us down this season as first choices, odd bad game here and there (which Rose and Walker had in other years) but for the most part they've been very reliable, in Davies' case he's actually been one of our best performers this season.

Though KWP played RB on his debut. It's just been the rest of the season he's been played out of position when selected <laugh>.

PleaseNotPoll likes this.
  5. Roo

Roo Well-Known Member

I don’t know how KWP hasn’t featured more to be honest.
    Trippier is generally solid, but lacks a bit of pace. Aurier has the pace, but is a loose cannon and can’t cross. KWP seems to have some of the good attributes of both Trippier and Aurier, but somehow is no where near the team, despite being very impressive in his odd cameo appearance. <confused>

PleaseNotPoll likes this.
  6. humanbeingincroydon

Kyle Walker has said he left Spurs as it was time to move on

Apparently the right time to move on is when there's seven games and an FA Cup semi-final to play when a double was (theoretically...) possible.

Roo and PleaseNotPoll like this.
  7. bigsmithy9

bigsmithy9 Well-Known Member

Who dangled a big cheque I wonder? Then it was time to move on.Greed get's you everywhere....apparently!

8. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Yeah it’s a strange one.

I think it comes down to Poch/ the club wanting Aurier to come good and therefore he’s getting added chances instead giving them to KWP.

Question for you all - If a club offered to buy Aurier for the same amount we paid for him, would you accept it to facilitate KWP’s progression into the first team?

9. "Thanks for that Brian"

"Thanks for that Brian" Well-Known Member

Probably, yes.

However, he hasn't had a pre-season, it's his first season in the PL and MP hasn't worked his magic. Also, I recall seeing Patrice Evra in his first season at United and wondered whether fergie had lost his marbles. He worked out pretty well.

If MP doesn't think that he can offer something, he'll be gone like Stambouli, Fazio Clinton, Vinnie, eic. If MP thinks you're no good, then you're gone.

Dier Hard likes this.
  10. Roo

Roo Well-Known Member

Right now, yeah I probably would.
    But as Spurf and others have pointed out, many players come good in their second season under Poch.

Dier Hard likes this.

11. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

I genuinely don’t know what I’d do if the decision was with me.

Part of me believes there’s a top quality RB in there who can become better or at least on a par with Walker but part of me thinks he’s too much of a wild boy to get his head down and look to improve under Poch, for a league winning RB in France, he shows some shocking bits of decision making and his throw-ins are an embarrassment.

It also begs the questions, IF Aurier is still here (which is likely I’d say) where does that leave KWP? He could become an unfortunate casualty of over-stocking in a position. A loan could be possible but it may have to be in the championship which for me - despite playing few games for us - is beneath him, he looks Prem-ready in my eyes and deserves a chance to prove it.

12. "Thanks for that Brian"

For me, he's never going to be a PL left back in a top 6 side. So, we shouldn't be thinking of that. He needs football. I think Brighton or Fulham [if they lose Ryan Fredericks] or Swansea or a similar club would be interested in a loan deal for him?

Another season like this one would be a complete waste of everyone's time and possibly his top flight career. He needs first team football.

13. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

I think he has the makings to be a top 4 player let alone top 6, really rate him. Think he looks better at the moment than what Rose and Walker did at that age.

Needs the game time to start maturing though, if that's not going to be here immediately, then any of those sides you mentioned (if Fulham come up) would be good options.

14. "Thanks for that Brian"

On the right. Absolutely. Not on the left. His left foot's just not good enough. Stopping and cutting inside every time is a killer as an attacking full back. On the right, he can be a top player

15. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Ohhh I gotcha. I wouldn’t even consider him on the left unless injury crisis anyway (ironically said I’d pick him at LB tomorrow for Brighton).

16. humanbeingincroydon

I think we all remember Lee Young-pyo, the left back who didn't know what his left foot was

17. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Decent player, though. Probably not helped by having Malbranque in front of him quite often.
    Good pair of players, but both wanted to cut inside all the time and the latter ran out of steam after an hour in every game.

18. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Lee was a very decent LB, I liked him.

Ekotto still remains my favourite LB for Spurs though, calmness personified, great defender and very good going forward, plus I liked his personality - was honest and didn't talk waffle **** like so many footballers. Just edges Rose and Davies for me in terms of best Prem LB. If AVB hadn't ****ed him up, he'd possibly still be here as I think Poch would've loved him at 100%.

Spur of the Moment likes this.