1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Tottenham Hotspur v Leicester City

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by PleaseNotPoll, Sep 20, 2019.

1. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

Let's be clear

I don't want Poch out

However, we are obviously in a situation which requires the asking of questions

2. Citizen Kane.

Citizen Kane. Well-Known Member

It certainly isn't 2 from 8 but let's not forget that the rot leading to that collapse began long before the collapse itself. From more or less the day after the LC win to be precise. Pundits up and down the country were shocked at our early form the next season but we weren't at all...a poor summer at the culmination of 3-4 months of poor performances meant the writing was on the wall for what followed. To a lesser extent, the same signs are present now. Disappointing summer at the back end of 3-4 months of poor performances. Hence people are asking painful questions which don't have easy answers.

Who could replace him? No idea at this stage as I don't want him gone. Zidane is a renowned motivator who places his trust in youth, but is not a shrewd tactician and is often criticised for his inability to change the course of a match in-game. I.e. basically Poch circa 2014-17 but with the added gravitas of a trophy-laden CV and a bigger name.

Allegri is available next season. Not a renowned motivator but a shrewd tactician who is known for changing the course of a match in-game.

But for now, I'm not thinking about it.

Lovearsenalcock likes this.
  3. Spurf

Spurf Thread Mover
    Forum Moderator

We are, we all have lots of questions. They usually don't get answered so all we can do is look at the results of the team and we have to be patient and trust in Pochettino to sort it out.

4. littleDinosaurLuke

littleDinosaurLuke Well-Known Member

It was a good game today. Really open and a lot of chances.
    Could have gone either way.
    Leicester are a decent side.
    Spurs haven't settled yet - a combination of restless players (Eriksen especially), new players, absentees and not replacing Trippier (Sanchez at right back???).
    The trouble is that you could be 10 points adrift of Liverpool by this time tomorrow and 5 behind City.
    That means 3rd already looks like the highest possible finish with the usual suspects and Leicester vying for that spot too.

Roo likes this.
  5. Citizen Kane.

I don't think any Spurs fan in their right mind thought we'd be challenging for the title this season, Luke.

LockStock and Roo like this.
  6. KingHotspur

KingHotspur Well-Known Member

15 defeats in 33 games is more than just a few matches

Add in the constant moaning in press conferences and falling out with several players and it’s clear all is not well with Pochettino.

7. littleDinosaurLuke

littleDinosaurLuke Well-Known Member

Maybe not, but I don't think being out of it in September is where you'd expect to be either.

8. Citizen Kane.

In a way, I'd prefer it. No false dawns, none of the pressure we're not great at dealing with followed by the inevitable collapse as soon as Kane + 1 get injured...just cold, harsh reality laying bare our frailties for all to see, so that we can stop pretending that Winks-Sissoko is a trophy-winning midfield combination, that Eriksen wants to be at the club, and that our options at FB haven't been decimated. If having a real fight for top 4 on our hands as early as October is the wake-up call the club needs, so be it.

Roo likes this.
  9. bigsmithy9

bigsmithy9 Well-Known Member

Supporting your team is one thing,putting up with crap is something else,especially if you are a travelling fan spending a lot of hard earned money to be disappointed by very over paid players that sometimes look as though they should be lounging on a beach somewhere!
    Some of the players we have purchased over the years don't seem to put themselves about as hungry players seem to.

I didn't know Poch was on 8.5 mil a year. Wow.....and no trophies to show for it just a top position in the PL. This might make some clubs and fans happy,but we are Tottenham Hotspur and we should be doing much,much better!

10. BobbyD

BobbyD President

Yup. 2 years of not buying players and imo this squad has stagnated and its coming home to roost.

Poches recent demeanor is also very worrying.

Today you were unfortunate though.

Cant remember which game earlier in the season when there was a tight offside call and me and pnp said using var for offsides were a farce as we saw today.

11. Blue and White

Blue and White Well-Known Member

Question for the refs among us. ( with regard our disallowed goal )

When the ball is cleared by the defender and the ball goes to Kane , is this not the start of a new phase?

12. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Must admit I’ve not completely lost patience but I’m certainly losing it with the manager.

If we were playing good football for the most part I’d not be so down. I’m a Spurs fan ffs, if I expected to win every game I’d be stupid but I do expect to watch good football, yesterday’s game was actually a decent game of football but Poch made some horrendous decisions that I can’t help but feel cost us.

Wanyama should never play for Spurs again, his legs are gone, he was transfer listed in the summer and he hasn’t had a good game for Spurs since his first season. To bring him on over Dier/ Skipp is utter madness.

Speaking of Dier, what the **** is going on there?! Not played a single minute this season where he could’ve easily helped come on in certain games to have shored up the midfield and protect the backline, whilst you can almost guarantee he’d have been a far better choice for RB than Dave Sanchez.

To then also take our best player off was infuriating, no problem with bringing Eriksen on but Lamela was causing Leicester so many problems.

Leaving Lucas on the bench with 5 mins left is also a disgrace. Poch’s treatment of Lucas is really disappointing, scores a hat trick in CL semi, dropped for Final, scores in midweek against Olympiacos, dropped for Leicester. Where is the logic? Son was dreadful yesterday, yet just like Eriksen midweek Poch again kept a poor performing player on despite having the option to take them off.

These sorts of decisions have been happening far too frequently and the standard in football for the most part has been painful to watch.

Sacking the manager, especially this one who’s done so much for the club, should always be seen as a last option but it needs to be said, options are beginning to run out.

13. Roo

Roo Well-Known Member

totally agree with this. It’s been a disappointing start, but in addition to everything you’ve said, we should also remember that we’ve played City, Arsenal and Leicester away in our first 6 games! It’s been a far from easy start.
    Still haven’t seen sessegnon, Lo cello barely featured before his injury, and it’s going to take time for Ndombele to get up to speed.
    I have no doubt there’s been problems behind the scenes, but the European window is now shut and we can move on. We just need to dig deep, as every club goes through patches like this.
    What we need to be doing, however, is making sure Dybala/Fernandez etc are on the cards for January. Preparation for our potential departures needs to be happening right NOW.

keep the faith, all. - and that’s coming from one of the most negative posters on here! <laugh>

Last edited: Sep 22, 2019
  14. Spurf

Spurf Thread Mover
    Forum Moderator

You are very selective in your criticism for example Lamela would not even be playing for us if fans had their way. Wanyama we are told by fans is finished and yet there he is and Newcastle were happy to pay millions for him. We don't know what the situation with Dier is and yet once again you make judgements. These are not inanimate chess pieces they are humans with all the foibles connected to them. Who knows why he left Son on and why he rarely picks Lucas, we certainly don't. Of course we all have opinions and thoughts but you have to accept that we don't have all the information and to start calling for Pochettino's head based on such poor information is at the very least not helpful.

SpursDisciple and vimhawk like this.
  15. vimhawk

vimhawk Well-Known Member

Whoa there! You're being far too reasonable about this. The fact that we had a really good performance against Palace must be dismissed as irrelevant, the fact that we could easily have had the second goal to go 0-2 up (I wonder if certain other teams might get 'the benefit of the doubt'?) should also be forgotten, and the fact that we've started with three of the harder away games is not to be mentioned. As for VAR, well no doubt only the penalty that Citeh didn't get should be considered, but the ones we didn't get are not a factor. Of course it would be lovely to not need VAR to be correct (or at least not used when it cannot possibly be decisive) in order to win a match, but it's all part of the game in general and a part that our rivals are more than happy to benefit from when it works in their favour.

Billy The Spur likes this.
  16. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

You’ll find most Spurs fans have similar opinions on Lamela. He’s a very good player but incredibly injury prone. In about 7 years he’s been fully fit for about 3 of those. Fans have been right to suggest he should’ve been sold in previous windows because ultimately you want a squad of players who are available more often than not but whilst he’s still here, fit and doing his best he’ll get warranted praise.

Of course we don’t know why Poch made his decisions on Dier, Wanyama, Son, Lucas etc but this is about giving opinions and debate. King made a good point the other day in that why is it fans have lately been able to see so many of the problems before they happen yet Poch can’t?

Ultimately the buck stops with the manager. He’s received phenomenal praise by Spurs fans and he’s rightly due criticism when things aren’t going well.

17. Spurf

Spurf Thread Mover
    Forum Moderator

Why can fans see better than Pochettino? because they are usually making their comments in hindsight. We know that Son was not effective against Leicester but we didn't know it before he played did we. Pochettino has to make his decisions BEFORE the game, then like us he can watch the game play out. UNLIKE us he can make further decisions to attempt to effect the outcome. I don't know anybody on not606 who is better equipped to make these real decisions and yet we have many who think they do. It is simply a fact that the most successful clubs generally have settled management and yet we constantly see the effect of fickle fans almost hounding out a manager.They are massively paid so it's not a huge hardship for most of them but it is very damaging to the club they leave. It's one thing to air opinions on a disappointing game such as Olympiakos or Newcastle it's quite different to think you know better then the man in charge who is in possession of all the facts and sees the players everyday.

18. The Changing Man

The Changing Man Well-Known Member

I enjoy the debate here - and I think that the passion shown by those who are being critical, and those defending the regime is equally laudable.

I am somewhere in the middle - I was a little critical yesterday mainly borne out of frustration.

What yesterday proved more than anything is that the margins that separate the joy of winning and the despair of losing have never been finer.

We actually played quite well yesterday, and deserved something from the game, and on the road the performances yesterday and at the goons were better than almost any in the league away all year, but we still lost.

This run of not winning away must be ended at Brighton in our next away match as after that we go to Liverpool, Everton, West Ham and Man U in the next 4 away matches and If we return from the amex having lost I fear that the run will just continue, and the top 4 could look someway off if that is the case.

Lovearsenalcock and Roo like this.
  19. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

People WERE making their opinions BEFORE the game(s) especially when we see the diamond which has ALWAYS failed to work.

Again you keep shooting people down who have an opinion that’s different to yours. What’s the point of the rest of us debating and giving thought if you’re just gonna more or less tell us “you obviously don’t know more the Poch so should stay quiet”?

Fickle fans are also those who believe nothing is wrong. Who continuously point to “we were mid-table 15 years ago we should be ecstatic!” or “Pochettino has worked wonders in previous seasons, everything will be okay”. It works both ways.

20. Roo

Roo Well-Known Member

Wow I didn’t realise those were our next 4 away games after Brighton. So basically, other than Chelsea, we’ll have played all the hardest games of the season by match day 14 of 38.
    It’s going to be a tough couple of months, but that does bode well for the rest of the season getting so many of those fixtures out the way so quickly.