1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Tottenham Hotspur v Leicester City

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by PleaseNotPoll, Feb 8, 2019.

1. Blue and White

Blue and White Well-Known Member

''Can I come to the party please?''
    ''No- it's private. Go away''
    '' Please,I'll play nicely''
    ''No. We'll tell everybody, how you are so poor you are still wearing last year's clothes and don't buy any new ones, and that you are homeless''
    ''I'm waiting for an inheritance and will soon do all of that''
    ''If you don't go away, we'll call in the heavies, they'll break your ankle, kick your hamstring and put you on a plane to the other side of the world''
    ''I will sneak in through the back''
    ''We'll get the police to restrict you and issue a banning order''
    ''I WON'T GO AWAY!''

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
  2. deedub93

deedub93 Well-Known Member

Keep it that way, it means we haven't 'bottled', whatever that is supposed to mean.

3. SpursDisciple

SpursDisciple Booking: Mod abuse - overturned on appeal
    Forum Moderator

Can't bottle if we didn't play. On BBC breakfast there was quite a long segment about the only game of the day, City v Chelsea. No mention of any other game, so cannot have been one.

4. The Changing Man

The Changing Man Well-Known Member

Having seen the highlights I don't think they did Mr Oliver justice for just how bad he was. Whilst I don't actually have a problem with Son not winning a penalty (I still think it was), I do want to see the Laws of the game enforced consistently, if the challenge by Maguire was not a foul then neither was Jans on Maddison as they were very similar, but they get a penalty and our man gets booked which just adds insult to injury.

Still we won the match despite him and I guess we should let it go, I just have a terrible feeling that Mr O will be in charge at both Anfield and the Etihad in which case we are ****ed!

5. The RDBD

The RDBD Well-Known Member

The message should be clear : THFC will not tolerate another
    ref performance akin to Clattenf**k 2016.

I expect the club to be writing to the PL in advance stating they have
    no confidence in him being either competent or impartial in either of
    those games (more so if there is still much at stake for both teams
    at that time) .

6. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

Meanwhile, on the Korean broadcasters...

Or, if you prefer...

please log in to view this image

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
    bigsmithy9 likes this.
  7. PowerSpurs

PowerSpurs Well-Known Member

I saw him play for our Youth team against Aldershot in the FA Youth Cup.

8. PowerSpurs

No it wasn't. It was due to our full backs being too advanced with acres of space behind them.

bigsmithy9 and remembercolinlee like this.
  9. SpursDisciple

SpursDisciple Booking: Mod abuse - overturned on appeal
    Forum Moderator

There is now, decent article from Shearer

Tottenham keep pace with Man City and Liverpool: 'Don't disrespect Spurs in title race' - Alan Shearer

By Alan Shearer
    MOTD2 pundit

It is a little disrespectful that not many people are talking about Tottenham as potential Premier League winners, because they are in the title race - and they have shown they are not going away.
    It was typical really that, on a day where Manchester City were sensational and made the headlines with the way they demolished Chelsea to go back above Liverpool at the top of the table, Spurs ground out another unspectacular victory.
    Mauricio Pochettino's side have done something similar in each of their past four league games, but it is actually very impressive that they keep getting results when none of those performances have been particularly great.

I thought Leicester were the better team at Wembley on Sunday and the Foxes created chance after chance by getting behind Tottenham's full-backs, Kieran Trippier and Danny Rose, who stayed so high up the pitch.
    If that happens again in Wednesday's Champions League tie against Borussia Dortmund, Spurs are going to be in trouble because I think they will get punished.
    But, on this occasion, they not only survived, they found a way to win.
    It was obviously not the same sort of statement of intent that City made a couple of hours later, but to score three goals and take the three points without playing well at all is still a very good sign of the sort of shape that Spurs are in.
    'Results more important than tearing teams apart'
    Yes, in an ideal world Tottenham would be doing what City did on Sunday, and tearing teams apart, but they are at a stage of their season when their squad is stretched and getting results is the only thing that matters.
    We know they can play much better than they have done recently, but the fact they are still winning at all with two of their best players in Harry Kane and Dele Alli injured, shows the character of Pochettino and his team.

Tottenham have won all four of their Premier League games without top scorer Harry Kane
    City and Liverpool might be playing the better football but Spurs have got a great attitude, which is more evidence of how good their manager is.
    Pochettino does not have the same resources or squad depth as his title rivals, and he also has to contend with the debacle over the club's delayed move to their new stadium that has left them playing at a half-empty Wembley every week because of security issues.
    That has affected the atmosphere further, when some of their fans are getting fed up with travelling there anyway.
    When you put all of that into the mix, then look at how Spurs have kept on picking up points in recent weeks, it underlines what a magnificent job Pochettino is doing.

When Tottenham lost to Wolves at Wembley at the end of December, in what was their fifth league defeat of the season, I saw that as the end of their title hopes.
    I thought, you cannot lose that many games and still end up as champions. But their form since then has put them back in the hunt.
    Ultimately, I still don't think Spurs will come out on top, but with three months of the season to go, they definitely still have a chance and you cannot discount them.
    Who will win it? Well, I picked City at the start of the season, so I am going to stick with them. I am not one to keep on changing my mind like a few people have.
    But this is a three-horse race and it is going to be an exciting battle for the neutrals as well as for the fans of each of the teams involved.
    City, Liverpool and Spurs all won this weekend, and it won't be the last time that happens this season.
    But the last couple of weeks have taught us there are plenty more twists and turns to come. Liverpool and City will not win all of their remaining games and, despite their recent resilience, neither will Spurs.

So it is all to play for all three teams. People are already talking about how Liverpool have been feeling the pressure when they dropped points against Leicester and West Ham, but in my experience you don't feel it now - it is April when it really cranks up.
    A slip-up now is not the end of the world, but if anything goes wrong then, it will be.
    In the final few weeks of the season, one mistake can cost you everything and the players, managers and fans of the teams involved will all know that.
    The next three months are going to be intense every time one of the contenders is in action and I am looking forward to seeing how things unfold.
    Alan Shearer was speaking to BBC Sport's Chris Bevan.

10. The RDBD

11. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

There are days where I really wish I was South Korean thanks to Son and his fans/ commentators.

Spur of the Moment likes this.
  12. humanbeingincroydon

Meanwhile, Chris Sutton has said shouted something that almost sounded like a coherent sentence about Son diving on 606

Because it's not just Question Time that asks the question why anyone pays their License Fee...

13. He's certainly got a point about the FB's. Both are a liability I'm afraid and will prove our undoing. In some ways these positions are almost as important to resolve as CM etc.

Roo likes this.
  14. The Changing Man

The Changing Man Well-Known Member

Definitely time for Walker-Peters to be given a run in his best position on the right, neither Trippier or Aurier can be relied upon so it would appear that now is Kyles time. As for the left side I think Rose has been playing well, but the diamond and having Skipp on his side did not help him yesterday' With everyone fit 4231 is still our best formation, and then the width is given by the forwards and not the full backs and there will be less space in behind'

I would be very concerned if we lined up with the diamond v Pool or City as they would cut us to ribbons.

Roo likes this.
  15. The RDBD

Pochettino is chancing it a fair bit with the CM formations.
    Spurs will need Wanyama up and running ASAP in order to
    give CM some bite, and Lamela to do aggressive but less
    headless MF pressing.

16. deedub93

And that is why Poch gave Wanyama some game time yesterday. A lot of people are saying it was a weird substitution. NO IT WASN'T. It was forward thinking and was bang on 11/10.

Roo likes this.
  17. deedub93

Nice to see Dermot Gallagher basically saying Michael Oliver is a useless Kunt, or as close as he can get to saying that.

18. PowerSpurs

I don't think any of our FBs are bad players but they can't be expected to play as wingers and full backs simultaneously which is what was happening yesterday. I think they are more suited to being wingbacks in a 3-3-3-1 of 3-4-3 formation.

crackerman jack likes this.
  19. humanbeingincroydon

*sigh*

...and who appointed Poch?

remembercolinlee likes this.
  20. Rose has certainly improved from the nadir of his career over the past 2 years. He is still a liability at times defensively and unfortunately Davies, much better in defence, doesn't provide enough going forward.
    Chilwell would be on my Xmas list...