1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Tottenham Hotspur v Leicester City

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by PleaseNotPoll, May 11, 2018.

1. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Dier as Vertonghen's replacement was a poor choice and it nearly cost us.
    Not sure why it was made either, as he's played loads of games this season and we had two centre-halves on the bench. Odd.

Good to sign off with a win, but the many choruses of Stick Wembley Stadium Up Your Arse probably said it all.
    Managed to go a whole season in the league without getting a penalty there and I can't say that I'm surprised.

We're going home and I'm looking forward to it already.

2. PowerSpurs

PowerSpurs Well-Known Member

Sanchez wasn't on the bench in the original line up was he? I would have definitely put Wanyama in the team and moved Dier rather than playing Foyth....

3. bigsmithy9

bigsmithy9 Well-Known Member

Best wishes to all you fans who put up with all that travelling to and fro on cold nights to a cold stadium. My hat's off to you.
    You will be home very soon.....and what a home! COYS!

4. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

Foyth couldn't possibly have been any worse, I wouldn't have thought. Dier just got done so easily, over and over.
    Playing the high line against pace in a two really doesn't suit him at all and it showed.

5. PowerSpurs

I think you are being a bit of a result merchant.....The four Leicester goals were all brilliant strikes and only one came from the high line. The expected goals stat they had on the BBC was 1.2 and I suspect most of that came from chances they didn't score from.

6. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

The first wasn't brilliant, but it wasn't a result of the high line, either. Just awful marking on a set-piece.

Leicester were getting in behind with one or two passes really easily all game.
    Dier couldn't keep up with any of their attackers and he was making unforced errors, too.
    I wanted him subbed off after about 20 minutes.

7. PowerSpurs

Everyone around me wanted Lamela subbed off - fortunately we have a manager who doesn't judge our players on mistakes over a short period. Form is temporary, class is permanent.

8. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

Lamela wasn't an issue, for me.
    Did alright and we were dominating possession, but every time we lost the ball it looked like we were going to concede.

9. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

It's safe to say I'm probably Dier's biggest fan but he was atrocious yesterday. I can't think of anything he done right.

Although that said, with a couple of great long passes aside, Toby was also dog ****. The CBs really let us down. Hugo saved their arses a number of times.

PleaseNotPoll likes this.
  10. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

Everyone was slagging off Wanyama for their third, but Alderweireld was more at fault, in my opinion.
    Let Iheanacho run for far too long without doing anything and while marking nobody, then turned away from the ball, which I ****ing hate.
    Stupid giveaway in the first place, of course.

I'm trying to avoid being too critical of him for the first too, as it's not really his fault, but as the only centre-half on the pitch I feel I have to.
    I was virtually level with the defensive line for the free-kick and it was bloody obvious to me that Vardy was unmarked for about 10-15 seconds before it was taken.
    Surely someone has to pick up on that and get it dealt with? Maybe it's Lloris' responsibility as the captain?

Lovearsenalcock and Dier Hard like this.

11. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

Just to say something positive, as I've been quite the opposite so far, I thought that Moura terrorised them.
    He looked very dangerous and productive with some of his runs and more direct play, which we often lack.
    Having the option for more pace, width and creativity should pay dividends next season, especially if he gets more game time.

Still puzzled by his aerial ability, though. Seems to win loads of headers that he's got no right to get anywhere near.

12. lennypops

lennypops Well-Known Member

So he's been at the club 5 years now. Which would indicate what about his class? Compared to, say, Son or Eriksen or Dele, all of whom have been here for the same amount of time or less? Sorry but he's just never been good enough for me. I know his stats are good but they flatter to deceive.

13. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Yeah he looks insane. Clearly fitness is an issue at the moment - although to be expected seeing as barely kicked a ball with PSG prior to joining - but all in all I'm very excited about what he can do for us.

Despite the fact I'd still like a marquee signing perhaps in the AM areas, we're very lucky to have a great bunch of players in Eriksen, Alli, Son, Lucas and Lamela all competing for three spots.

PleaseNotPoll likes this.
  14. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

For me personally I really like Lamela. He brings a different aspect to the other AMs with his tenacity and work rate, he somewhat acts as a defensive-attacking mid (sounds like an oxymoron!) and in certain games that can be ideal. He's also the closest person to Eriksen in the squad who comes close to unlocking defences.

Is he better than Son, Alli and Eriksen? I'd say no BUT he's someone I very much like having in the squad. We'd do well to find a better player than Lamela who'd be content with having to compete with those three knowing they won't be guaranteed a start each week.

15. PowerSpurs

I think he's a valuable member of the squad and we'd need to spend £50m to get someone better. Works like a trojan and gets in the opposition's faces. Lot's of skill, takes risks. I think he needs to be Dele's deputy though. Moura can be Son's. Eriksen and Kane are essentially non-replaceable.

16. bigsmithy9

bigsmithy9 Well-Known Member

I agree. Our goalie must have thought he was in the front line at Waterloo! Bang,crash,wallop!!!!!

17. KingHotspur

KingHotspur Well-Known Member

I agree. Likeable player and not bad but imo he should be moved on this summer.

18. "Thanks for that Brian"

"Thanks for that Brian" Well-Known Member

A bit harsh there and I don't think that even their fourth goal cam from playing a high line - Vardy couldn't have been more than 25 yards from goal when he received the ball. It came from Rose being too unfit and indisciplined to hold the line that everyone else held perfectly and playing Vardy on side. Davinson Sanchez was completely losing it with the linesman because he 'knew' Vardy was offside. Unbeknownst to him, on his blind side, Rose was, slightly sheepishly, walking away knowing he was worth so much more and had completely ****ed things up by dropping too deep to cover for his poor fitness.

However, I thought that our set up gave Leicester a real platform in the game. It was a real scratch defence that will never have played together and it really showed. It put me in mind of some of our early FA Cup performances when we did something similar and again defending was a shambles as a result.I'm not saying that there were too many alternatives, given injuries to Trippier, Aurier and Super Jan. However, leaving out Davinson Sanchez, who is, by a street, our fastest defender was a huge mistake. We don't let the lad go up for any corners because his pace gets us out of so many holes on fast counter attacks. Not to pick him against a team that does that and little else in most games was bewildering. To do it to pick a Wanyama/Sissoko midfield??????

Leicester knew that we were vulnerable to the 'Vardy ball' all afternoon. It may not have got them their goals but it gave them a constant 'out ball', got them up the pitch and gave them heart that we could be 'got at'. That can count for a lot. There's enough of the DNA of their title side left to recognise when they can successfully play hoof ball and they saw an opportunity on Sunday and it served them pretty well. We encouraged it, Frankly. If you kill that avenue then you've pretty much got them and they know it.

19. The RDBD

The RDBD Well-Known Member

No real need to dwell on this game as it was to this
    season as the Toon game was to the 2015-16 season.

We won the extra 2m quid in their cup final, they did not.
    Similarly we are not seeking any meagre crumbs of
    comfort from this game regarding the team, while they are.

Lovearsenalcock likes this.
  20. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!