1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Tottenham Hotspur v Leicester City

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by PleaseNotPoll, May 17, 2017.

1. The Changing Man

The Changing Man Well-Known Member

You appear to the expert when it comes to strange trains of thought - I hardly think that a team finishing 2nd to a team who are likely come Sunday night to have won more matches than anyone before in premier league history (a team did once win 31 matches in a 1st division season but I won't bore you with the details), has bottled anything.

2. The Ides of March

The Ides of March Well-Known Member

When the "New White Hart Lane" is up and running I would imagine income streams from match day alone will multiply 6 times at a conservative estimate, as it has done at the Emirates. In addition, you have the most marketable English asset in the PL in Harry Kane, and in a similar way to Manchester United and Beckham, sales of Tottenham shirts both in the UK and global could soar should you have another excellent season in the PL (I hope you win it next season) and go a very long way in the CL, further increasing revenue streams. At that moment, then you can begin to increase players' salaries. We know it is a moot point, but getting £60k a week and playing for an excellent side should be more than enough to satisfy any player.

3. Spudulike

Spudulike Well-Known Member

It should but we now live in messed up a world dominated by greed and narcissism.

4. remembercolinlee

remembercolinlee Well-Known Member

Seriously?
    Are you really saying clubs do not feed stories to the media?
    Every media out let believed kane was going to united ... he never said anything about leaving nor did his reps cos he continually said he wanted to stay here. Spurs didn't do it...so are you saying that The whole of the media spontaneously made it up? Or could it not be possible that United fed the story to the media in the hope that he would have his head turned?

As for the big headlines of United being snubbed...where were they when Lloris stayed, Kane stayed and Pochettino stayed?

All were definite to go to united over the last 2 seasons ... the press simply move on.

JM spoke about how hard it was to get players cos you can no longer just walk in and get the players you want. He then said do uou think I can go into Tottenham and take x y z to weaken them?
    He mentioned us by name and since then 3 players are regularly mentioned as going there. Seriously why mention us and not Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool or City?

It is not paranoid to think that clubs may put stories into the media about players they want.

My actual quote was ... it is my gut feeling that city and united are feeding stories to the press. I was simply giving an opinion on the spurs board.

For you state that if United wanted to tap up players it would be Kane or Dele completely ignores that your defence is **** and that you have been linked to kane for 2 years on a near continuous basis.

City would not touch Lloris cos his passing and distribution is very poor. But there defence is piss poor hence their very well documented interest in our wing backs and centre backs.

No club outside of Southampton are subjected to so much media speculation about so many of their players but we have not sold our players like Southampton have had to. Yet it is almost a daily thing with us.

We have seen speculation in the past and expect it as do all clubs but Dier, Dele , Kane , Lloris, Walker , Rose, Toby, Vertongen, Trippier, Davies have all been strongly linked to Liverpool, United, City or Chelsea this season alone.
    All but Toby signed contracts in October so they were not feeding the press just months into a contract and Spurs are not putting the stories out there which only leaves the media making them up or the other clubs feeding the media the stories.

You previously said I was paranoid for saying the media is making **** up about us and transfers to fill space and now its I am paranoid cos my gut instinct re Dier, Walker and Rose is that City and United are feeding the media stories.

You come across as a wum when ever I attempt a sensible discussion with you to be honest.
    This board is to discuss stuff. That'swhat I do. If I wanna be rude I go to the wild west premier league board. Knock yourself out saying what you want to me on there as all is fair game. So do me a favour on here and ignore my thoughts if you think I am paranoid. That we we won't waste eachothers time.

5. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

We probably have the second most marketable English player too, in Dele Alli.
    Hopefully they'll both stay grounded and stay at Tottenham.

Son's also the most marketable Asian player at the moment, by all accounts. I can see why.
    Works his arse off, scores plenty of goals, tries the spectacular and does it all with a smile on his face. Fantastic.

6. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

I just realised that after this result we've beaten every team in the Premier League this season, apart from Liverpool.
    They're also the only team so far to have beaten us in the league by two clear goals.
    Nobody's won home and away against us and we've beaten everyone else at least once. <ok>

7. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

...so we're starting next season at Anfield, aren't we?

deedub93 and PleaseNotPoll like this.
  8. This seemed to happen a few times the other night - Both Victor & Moussa D were at their best! <diva>

9. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

In slightly better quality:

Ndidi turned into Ndizzy.

Lovearsenalcock likes this.
  10. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

Highlights for anyone that missed it:

11. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

Steady on...

please log in to view this image

12. But when you see who allegedly made the comment......

13. Citizen Kane

Citizen Kane Danny Rosebud

In my experience, United fans least of all understand the 'paranoia' felt by fans of clubs who don't have the biggest global fanbase and largest revenue stream in the world. And why would they?

Reality looks very different indeed when you're not looking at it through a blank cheque book; which is why I would never dare question the fears of say Southampton and B'mouth fans.

It was the Bale transfer saga that first opened my eyes to just how much clubs can get away with in terms of influencing the media without actually being accused of directly tapping up an employee of another club. Almost every former Real Madrid player was out giving interviews to all and sundry about how Bale would be the perfect fit and natural successor to Ronaldo's throne. It got to the point where it was actually cringeworthy. And there was no doubt in anyone's minds that said ex-players - located as they were in multiple locations across the globe - hadn't randomly and suddenly decided to simultaneously spout an identical opinion about the future wellbeing of a Welshman they'd probably never even met. The club blatantly and arrogantly put them up to it, and it simply fed the media with ready-made headlines to pile pressure on the player and the club he was contracted to. 'Madrid Will Make Bale A Legend, Says Former Galactico'.

I don't think you were trying to wum. You just genuinely have zero understanding of the subtle friction that separates success from failure for any club not operating with a carte blanche approach to wages and fees. The words 'so far' and 'backside' regularly spring to mind whenever I see a United fan attempt to make head or tail of another club's experience.

Last edited: May 20, 2017
  14. Citizen Kane

Loved it when Poch gave Son an absolute bollocking after his second big miss (set up by Alli). Chalk n' cheese to the man who sat slumped on the bench lethargically watching us being humiliated by Newcastle <applause>

15. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

Thanks, that was a very good answer to my comments and I fully understand your view.
    I do however, feel it more likely that the press go out chasing stars/ex stars for quotes that will suit the headline they want to write rather than clubs putting said players up to making statements.

16. Citizen Kane

Possibly. I get the sense that it is less of an issue here than on the continent. Real and Barca in particular just do it with arrogant impunity (which is basically how they go about doing everything). Bayern are another serial offender. I thought we'd seen the worst of it ahead of Modric's move there but Balegate was just ridiculous. As for your comments about the press chasing quotes, I think in Spain in particular it is inextricably complex as major national newspapers such as Marca and Mundo are little more than the media wings of Real and Barca - clubs that wield more power than major political parties. You don't really have that in this country where one major news outlet shamelessly favours one single club. So I guess it really is impossible to distinguish who is chasing who.

To be honest, the only club over here that regularly wheels out ex-players and legends to give interviews and soundbites about other teams' players is probably Liverpool. Chelsea aren't far behind. Doesn't help that many of the most vocal pundits are ex-pool. Yourselves and Arsenal deserve credit for resisting what must be quite a cost-effective and lucrative temptation as you rarely see the likes of Henry, Bergkamp, Giggs or Rio mouthing off about other clubs' players. As for City, give it another decade as right now they don't have any ex-players that anyone outside of Moss Side could give a **** about anyway. Just picture the headline:

'Rose and Walker Would Excel at Etihad, Says Club Legend Richard Dunne' <laugh>

Last edited: May 21, 2017
    PleaseNotPoll and Diego like this.
  17. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

<laugh> fair point :grin:

18. deedub93

deedub93 Well-Known Member

After listening to Tim Sherwoods punditary during the Leicester match he is either under the employ of Real Madrid or hoping to be their next manager as both Alli and Kane "would look good in the white of Real Madrid". Sorry Tim, they already look very good in the lillywhite of Tottenham. Shut the **** up.

19. bigsmithy9

bigsmithy9 Well-Known Member

I wonder if Gareth Bale's injuries are making Real think again. I have afeeling they may be thinking of a replacement soon,maybe with their goldmine sitting on their bench.....
    Perhaps a swap.....Bale for Sissoko......

remembercolinlee likes this.
  20. Blue and White

Blue and White Well-Known Member

He has more assists this season than Noble and equal to Kante, Mkhityrian and Rashford (IIRC)