1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Tottenham Hotspur v Huddersfield Town

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by PleaseNotPoll, Sep 28, 2017.

1. O.Spurcat

O.Spurcat Well-Known Member

More importantly than what Redknapp Junior has said, that was a great performance today. Kane was immense, a true Spurs legend in the making.

2. The RDBD

The RDBD Well-Known Member

Wage structure and constraints are different things.

Spurs are not the Goons, with inflated wage bills for
    players who hardly deserve it. Therefore the wage
    structure is sound.

3. That's the practical reality I agree, but he actually regurgitated the 'Spurs sell all their best players' line, but couldn't get past Carrick, Berbatov, Modric & Bale - which as has been well documented is actually less than our supposed 'betters'!
    He keeps spouting the same line everytime he's on and it's tedious.

remembercolinlee likes this.
  4. littleDinosaurLuke

littleDinosaurLuke Well-Known Member

It might be sound for the club, but individual players might not share that view.
    Walker's head was turned; Kane might be different, who knows.
    Alli is being a dick at present. When some club offers to double his wages and indulge his behaviour, do you think he'll stay?
    Players tend to act out of self interest, even if they play for Spurs.

Lovearsenalcock likes this.
  5. O.Spurcat

O.Spurcat Well-Known Member

But the point is, that players don't see it like that.

6. The RDBD

The RDBD Well-Known Member

You cannot legislate for morons who think that
    money grows on trees.

remembercolinlee likes this.
  7. Citizen Kane

Citizen Kane Danny Rosebud

I should call it more often <laugh>

Haven't watched the game yet as I was with my wife's family for the festival of yom kippur (a fascinating experience) but very much looking forward to seeing my favourite frenchman score his first goal <yikes>

8. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

Can I say Kane won't be truly world class for me until he cuts out the percentage of his 'clumsy' and thoughtless decisions

Felt great though watching the Spurs in my home town today..Classy outfit..like a Roller turning up in a Perrys Citroen garage.

Plus I was there when Sissoko scored

Alli needs a stint on the bench...strolling...that dive was embarassing

Last edited: Oct 1, 2017
  9. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

As I point out every time that Narrative is brought up...
    Ashley Cole
    Emmanuel Adebayor
    Samir Nasri
    Gael Clichy
    Robin van Persie
    Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain

Those are all players Arsenal have sold to direct rivals in the Premier League, and few will argue that Cashley and RvP are examples of them selling their best player to a club which just so happens to be able to increase their wages without giving it a second thought, yet it's only been in recent months when pundits have started to call them "a selling club" due to the fact none of their first team are signing contract extensions rather than any history of seeing several of their key players leave for greener pastures.

If some bloke from Croydon who spent most of their evening watching people playing Cuphead on Twitch can spot that and (more importantly) remember it, why can't people who are paid to have an informed opinion?

10. vimhawk

vimhawk Well-Known Member

Just heard Shearer on MOTD call Dele a cheat for his "fall" in the box. You know what? It is cheating. The main problem I have is the lack of condemnation for other players doing the same thing, primarily serial divers in certain favoured teams. Remember how much flack Bale got for "diving" - even when most of the time he wasn't. Guess that it's very selective who, and what teams, you are allowed to call cheats.

humanbeingincroydon likes this.

11. Citizen Kane

Great game - really enjoyed the first half. The pass n move for the 2nd goal was mesmerising.

I thought Dele had a decent first half but tailed off in the second, and the less said about that dive the better. Silly boy. Lamela can't return soon enough.

I've been picking on Dier recently so let me just say that he was utterly superb today. Top class performance.

Ran out of superlatives for Kane 18 months ago but never thought I'd see the day when I'd run out of them for Davies too. What a magnificent player who plays with such intelligence and finesse <applause>. It's a good thing Rose was made DOF in the summer as the Welshman would've left him without a job otherwise. I hope Rose is sitting on the touchlines reflecting on what an absolute muppet he is.

I thought Winks did very well but does get muscled off the ball a bit too easily.

Trippier - another of my season's scapegoats - had a solid game but again, offered far less than Davies going forward.

Oh, and we saw another display of Jan Vertonghen > Gareth Bale.

<applause>

12. Citizen Kane

I have nothing against us blitzing the opposition and then resting on our laurels. Until our fixture:injuries ratio is a bit healthier, we can't afford to go full throttle for 90 minutes. Players like Toby, Dier, Kane have already started more or less every game this season.

13. remembercolinlee

remembercolinlee Well-Known Member

The issue with wages is very basic...you pay what you can afford or you go bust.

We spend around 55-60% of our income on wages...much more than that will cause us financial issues.

We nearly went under in 1991 and I would prefer to have a club to follow until I die than see the go bust.

Everyone talks about Leeds but the number of Premier League teams that paid more than they could afford and really suffered is frightening.

Leicester went into administration in the early 2000s after one of the most successful periods in their history. Went to league 1.

Southampton did the same after being in the top division since 1978. Went to league 1.

Palace went into administration and only avoided league one on the final day of the season.

All of those recovered...but these haven't

Coventry did the same and are still in a terrible state after being in the top divison for around 35 years

Sheffield Wednesday...decent prem team throughout the 90s but became a basket case and only just getting thing together.

Leeds ... well documented.

Portsmouth survived by the skin of their teeth.

Wimbledon...15 yrs or so in the prem then became a franchise!

Wigan...Fa cup winners to league 1 in 2 years after spending 8 years in the premier league.

Bradford...massively overspent after avoiding relegation in 2001 (I think) and have never recovered.
    All of these dropped into league 1 or 2.

People have talked about us doubling the salaries of Dele, Rose, Walker (before he left) Toby, Vertongen, Kane, Lloris etc ... doubling our wage bill means spending 100-120% of our income.
    And that way madness lays.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2017
  14. Citizen Kane

15. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

Wow, he really thinks highly of Poch doesn't he <yikes> :grin:

16. D.G.C.

D.G.C. Well-Known Member

You're making it sound like that was the intention which I don't think it was CK, I think, like the West Ham match, that it's a weakness in the team.

Well, we have a week off now for a bit of a rest after which I think we will come back stronger and achieve our first big win at Wembley.

17. The Changing Man

The Changing Man Well-Known Member

Well Winks and Sissoko may be given some rest - everyone else is off to play some sort of international football for the next 10 days, in most cases they are likely to have played 2 matches before they return to us.

18. lennypops

lennypops Well-Known Member

"God is in control". That explains his first touch.

19. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Winks is in the England U21 squad with Walker-Peters and Onomah.
    Sissoko's in the French squad with Lloris.

20. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

You could at least credit your sources, you Chelsea runt! <grr>