1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Tottenham Hotspur v Everton

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by PleaseNotPoll, Apr 14, 2021.

1. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

I agree Levy is a fanboy but I think he’s already putting plans in motion to sack Jose.

Unless anything drastic happens I think Jose will be gone more or less the day after the final game of the season. I think Jose also knows his time is limited, whatever people may think of the guy he ain’t stupid and he knows he’s not doing what was asked and that only ends one way for a manager.

I just hope a large number of players follow Jose out the door. That really is one of my worries, that some of these players will have yet another undeserving chance under another manager.

2. "Thanks for that Brian"

"Thanks for that Brian" Well-Known Member

I have detected a less cocky and internally destructive air to Mourinho in the last couple of weeks. I'm guessing that he's been warned as to further episodes like lying about Toby Alderweireld's return from international duties. Chelsea put up with his bullshit over Eva Caneiro for a while but we've no reason to do so given how dreadfully the team is playing.

I've heard that he knows it's over at the end of the season but he's been warned as to his future conduct and if he persists in acting like a prat, he won't be getting the compensation he so desperately wants. So, hopefully he'll win the final and he'll decide to have his say, slag off some players and Levy can sack him the next day.

Whatever happens, when the stadium reopens, his departure is assured.

3. remembercolinlee

remembercolinlee Well-Known Member

My worry is that by waiting til the season ends we will have a crap pre season as most of the players will be at the Euros (Davies, Bale, Rodon, Dier, Toby, kane, Reguilón, Lloris, possibly winks and Sissoko) which will make it harder to sell those we want out or those we want to stay get no time with the new coach.
    And that's without a whole window of Kane and Son to "insert here".

I know I sound like a broken record but Levy has messed up big time ... having no plan B is incompetent

4. "Thanks for that Brian"

No doubts, he should have left already...and every day he stays, is a day wasted, when we should be rebuilding.

Levy knows the price of everything and the value of nothing when it comes to football.

5. "Thanks for that Brian"

6. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Deals can be done pre, during and post tournament though. We wrapped up Modric before the Prem season ended and that proved a good choice seeing as he had a good tournament.

I'd like Jose to be sacked and an interim appointed but I don't see that happening, even if it did, the interim won't affect or have any say in player sales or arrivals. That's what the new manager will do and hopefully if they're appointed as quickly as possible once the season's done they can assess who they want and let Levy and Hitchen (or dumb and dumber, whichever you wanna know them as) work on getting them out. I just hope the new manager isn't duped by some into believing they're better than they are - which I think Jose was - whilst I also hope Levy and Hitchen don't expect fillet steak prices for our big macs when negotiating their sales.

Lovearsenalcock likes this.
  7. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

Things are toxic, but that doesn't mean we're at peak toxicity

As I said to Brian, imagine if we sacked the ubermensch without arrangements in place for a long-term plan and ended up with Eddie Howe at the helm next season, that would be toxic as by that point fans would be trickling back in and letting their opinions known about how an unwanted manager has replaced an unpopular one

Also, and this has to be pointed out, teams set up to attack wouldn't have won against Arsenal or Newcastle - teams set up properly would have: we lost the NLD because we willingly gave up midfield (while, in comparison, in the NLD late last year we won because we actively attacked midfield to choke the life out of them) while Newcastle was dropped points because it never occurred to us that a team might attack us down the left and when they did we were powerless to stop it due to the lack of left-sided subs. Attacking in either game wouldn't have actually won us the points, as in both games there was a weakness that could have been exploited if we were offensive or defensive

Which does lead us to an issue that plenty of us have mentioned ever since the West Scam game last September: we've got this weird fixation on our right flank being weak which dominates our tactics, for example for several of the games we threw away points in December it was a regular sign to see Sissoko and Toby drifting wide while Aurier was bombing down the flank meaning we were stretching ourselves before the opponents even had the ball, more recently it's the deployment of either Lo Celso or Lamela on the right to add some combative presence to cover the RB, or we play 3ATB so that there's somebody available to cover if and when Aurier bollockses up possession

And there's a reason why I highlight this: it isn't a defensive mindset doing this, it's one so fixated on an issue opposition managers can't ignore it - and this is why simply booting one manager won't work as the players have had it drilled into them for over six months that there's a weakness in the team (and appropriate scapegoats to blame for it) and we need somebody to knock that thinking out of them PDQ because players who are told there's a weakness will think there's a weakness, which is why I say Sacramento or Ledders shuffling up the bench is liable to backfire at this point because what would their first teamtalk be? "Yeah, pretend I wasn't here when you were told for six months that our right flank is cancer"? They'd be undermined from the outset, to the point Ryan Mason would likely stand a better chance as he hasn't been tainted by association

This is why I say we absolutely need to have the long-term replacement in place for when we pull the trigger, because the faster we get the ubermensch's influence scrubbed not just from the club but also the players' minds the better, because there's a reason I called him an energy vampire in my previous post and if we can focus the club on who will be in place come June 1st it would be a healthier place - and we can't do that if we sack him with uncertainty

I'm not arguing better the devil you know, far from it - I'm arguing that knowing something other than the devil is what we need

PowerSpurs and remembercolinlee like this.
  8. "Thanks for that Brian"

Apart from the finances (supposedly), nothing is worsened by Mourinho leaving right now.

If the stadium was open, he'd be gone already.

remembercolinlee likes this.
  9. humanbeingincroydon

Sacking him and then getting turned down by ((insert name here)) would absolutely worsen things

Sacking him is short term, replacing him is long-term - and I have no interest in the short term solution as that is how we end up on the same roundabout

10. "Thanks for that Brian"

Can you remind me why sacking Mourinho after we've failed to qualify for the EL makes it more difficult to get the manager we want...when we've got no European football or transfer budget, having lost tens of millions of pounds it brings in....

11. humanbeingincroydon

Can you tell me how that question relates to what I've said?

12. "Thanks for that Brian"

You want Mourinho kept as manager until we have a full-time replacement in place?

....even if that is in the summer?

13. humanbeingincroydon

Look at Dortmund as the best example of what I'm getting at: they have Marco Rose in place to take over come the end of the season, and have had him in place since mid-February, so there's no uncertainty as they know who their manager will be (just as A German Team have Adi Hutter lined up to replace Rose come the end of the season)

That creates certainty within the club, something that simply will not exist if we sack the ubermensch and have no replacement lined up no matter which overly-romanticised caretaker we have carry the can for the remainder of the season

Do I really need to keep repeating this?

14. "Thanks for that Brian"

You do what you like. You can say something a thousand times...it doesn't make it correct.

Keeping Mourinho at the club has been a mistake for months and remains just that. He's a cancer and the club and team will be better off without him.

15. Citizen Kane.

Citizen Kane. Well-Known Member

Well at least we are top of the league.

The points dropped from a winning position league.

Well, joint top with Brighton, but we'll overtake them in no time.

Keep the faith lads.

:emoticon-0159-music we're gonna win the points dropped league, we're gonna win the points dropped league :emoticon-0159-music

16. humanbeingincroydon

Considering you seem to think me saying we need a replacement in place now is the same as saying we need to persist with the energy vampire, it's obvious that I do need to keep saying the same thing because you continue missing the point

And it is correct that we need the replacement sorted now, because uncertainty is what we do not need

17. "Thanks for that Brian"

I understand what you are writing...I just happen to fundamentally disagree with it.

What if our preferred candidate(s) are in jobs already and aren't willing to consider committing until the end of this season?

What if they want to see whether our best players want to move after Mourinho's qualified us for EL II?

What if Levy's panicking and we don't know what to do?

Certainty is a lovely thing but not always achievable in times of crisis...and this is a time of crisis.

Clubs bigger or more successful than us have sacked Mourinho mid-season (one club did it twice) and subsequently worried about what to do about replacing him...because he's cancerous. You get him out when he starts becoming destructive, no matter what.

BobbyD and remembercolinlee like this.
  18. bigsmithy9

bigsmithy9 Well-Known Member

Whatever you all think,this has been a screwed up season after earlier doing so well.....and with the same players in the squad. I think the manager and the players need a psychiatrist to sort their minds out!
    Chelsea seem to have turned the corner with a couple of signings while our signings have taken the wrong turning. Looks like our scouts need to be changed too.

Lovearsenalcock likes this.
  19. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Honestly... Just... Eurgh.

20. littleDinosaurLuke

littleDinosaurLuke Well-Known Member

Mourinho has been successful with big money clubs. I give him credit for managing the pressures and expectations there and achieving what he was employed to do.

He punched above his weight in the CL with Porto and to a lesser extent Inter, which showed he had something more about him.

But it is clear now that he was a spent force at Utd because he was incapable of doing the rebuilding required and only had some success because big money players were able to turn it on often enough in knockout cups to just about prevail.

His tenure at Spurs has shown him incapable of adapting. He is still relying on star players digging him out of a hole rather than building a team. The difference is that he doesn’t have as many stars now and those he has are stifled by the set up he chooses. To succeed at Spurs, he has needed to be the manager he was at Porto- but he’s proved to be too arrogant and stubborn to do that. He must have had man management skills in the past, but there’s not much evidence that he does now.

SAF adapted to keep up the younger managers who challenged him. At the end, even he realised the game had changed and he was too old to keep up. Mourinho won’t face up to that reality.

BobbyD, BajanSpur and Spurf like this.