1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Tottenham Hotspur v Everton

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by PleaseNotPoll, Feb 9, 2021.

1. Citizen Kane.

Citizen Kane. Well-Known Member

100%

2. KingHotspur

KingHotspur Well-Known Member

Why was he sacked then?

3. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

Can’t believe some posters still think there’s a manager out there who can turn some of this turd into gold <laugh>

Its clear to see why he parks the bus...that defence is shocking when left to do its own fackin job.

4. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

I said you’ve always got a chance with our defence

5. KingHotspur

KingHotspur Well-Known Member

There is a lot of rubbish there that not even a Klopp or Pep could make look good.

But that doesn’t mean Jose off the hook. His job is to get the best out of his players. He’s failing to do that with all bar 3 or 4

6. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Pochettino was sacked though because the very same players let him down and that’s on him for not being ruthless enough in trying to sell them.

I think he certainly helped improve a lot of players and he assembled a very good team from around 2015-2018 but then the wheels started falling off. Walker left, Dembele declined and left, Wanyama declined and left, Rose declined, Eriksen mentally checked out and left etc and he was then unable to replace most of them, nor did he really try as we all know he rejected a number of players who are now performing well elsewhere, mainly a bunch at Leicester. He ended up allowing too many to keep playing that were letting him down and ultimately the end result was him getting sacked because he didn’t replenish the squad at a time it had gone stale.

Where Jose and co have gone wrong is that a lot his signings have either been poor or underplayed whilst he’s also persisted with some of the very same players that were letting Poch down.

7. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

maybe he is getting the best out of them?

maybe we should accept that what we have been seeing from the last year under Poch to today is just about their lot and they’ve had years to prove otherwise now.

it was game over when the old classic pairing of Winks and Sissoko bumbled their way onto the pitch...this kind of mid table talent at best needs to go...they are not capable of anything more...there's no magic tactic out there that is going to improve their game

Diego likes this.
  8. Tilly'sowner

Tilly'sowner Well-Known Member

Vinni, Dele, Lucas and Winks were deplorable. I don't think Vinni, Dele or Lucas made any impact at all. Winks only impact was continuing to lose possession, one of which led to Everton scoring.

I thought Lamela was playing well until he started to tire. N'domebele was okay as Sissoko was, despite playing at RWB. I don't think our defence played badly but yes, far too many defensive errors. I definitely don't blame Lloris and on the whole, has performed well more than than not.

No way should that have been a penalty.

Still, it was a great entertaining match and it was nice to play in the style of Ossie Ardiles & Redknapp, ie, set up to score more than the oppo despite not quite managing it. I would rather have won 1-0 and be bored though!

Lovearsenalcock likes this.
  9. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

I agree but that’s where the problem is for me, Jose is still utilising them. Just like he is with Dier/ Toby etc. Show true intent to change things and give the likes of Tanganga and Rodon games. Players like Clarke and White could’ve played a hell of a lot more in Europa too which then could’ve given Jose more to think about with league selection if they impressed.

We sacked Poch for Jose to do something different and better yet he’s doing more or less the exact same. The same poor players still get onto the pitch in some capacity, even after 9 of his own signings and a good academy to utilise.

KingHotspur and Lovearsenalcock like this.
  10. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

Yeh maybe he could do that

I’m sure given time and first team ready replacements he will get rid of these players but I guess in this capacity of game as tonight he went for experience over youthful exuberance.

Dier Hard likes this.

11. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

I suppose it’s a question of how many more replacements do you give him? 9 players in 2 windows is quite a lot of backing, especially considering the current climate and yet he hasn’t really gotten a tune out of most of them. As a chairman do you then think “if he wants 5 more in the summer, is he gonna get a tune out of them or are they just gonna add to the scrap pile?”.

Today was a good sign in some aspects though, he’s taken off the chains so to speak and we attacked well, as we did against WBA (albeit they’re ****ing gash like Sheffield), so no one can say the last couple performances have been boring and not entertaining. Small things like that can help give him “little wins” amongst the fans but he’s gotta do more with the squad and stop persisting with the same players who keep letting us down.

I really do want it to work out for him because as a bloke I think he’s been hilarious but as a manager I don’t think he’s doing too much to convince that he was the right man to replace Poch at the moment. Some good highs but a lot of lows under him so far in these 14/15 months.

12. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

as much as I was happy with the incomings due to the need of fresh faces...knowing full well that we need to get rid of the dross. Only 2 have been what we need I.e first team improvements because that’s where we are, out first team needs improving. In that 9 there’s a few loanees, an out of contract player and some with work to do.

We need a new defence doesn’t matter how many other purchases we make...until the defence is upgraded I think we will struggle

13. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

I think four were likely expected to be first team improvements though. Hojbjerg and Reggie being two of them, I think Doherty was brought in to be better than Aurier and yet the guy here at Spurs ain’t the same guy that was at Wolves. Whilst we all expected Bale to be much, much better than he’s been and take that RW spot up top alongside Kane and Son. Hart was the only one I think no one expected to play much as we initially thought he’d be 3rd choice keeper. Vinicius and Rodon were brought in as squad players but both have been massively under-utilised, when you look at our CBs it’s hard to see why Rodon’s had very limited game time whereas Vinicius has somehow been treated as a third choice striker when there’s only two at the club, just makes little to no sense to me there.

14. vimhawk

vimhawk Well-Known Member

I stand by my bullshit post.

I don't see much here apart from the usual sticking the knife in. Just thought it was worth talking up the positives a bit more, but lets just pay lip service to that so we can get back to the usual.

But I'll let you talk among yourselves then. You're clearly not interested in a different point of view so I'm off for a while.

15. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

You’re welcome to stand by it.

People did speak about positives, many enjoyed the game and said it was nice seeing us attack. But as per usual stupid mistakes cost us and naturally grabbed the headlines as it’s a continuous theme here at the club at the moment. Just as it’s continuous how you constantly talk about referees and conspiracies based on a shirt colour on the rival watch thread.

I’m more than happy to see different points of view and debate but when you’re choosing to essentially snidely have a go at posters then don’t expect a rosey response back.

16. remembercolinlee

remembercolinlee Well-Known Member

There are a negatives to the performance but that was the first time I have enjoyed watching us for a long time.
    I know we lost but I feel very different to how I did after the Liverpool, Brighton and Chelsea abominations.
    COYS

17. Sucky

Sucky peoples champ & forum saviour

You lot signed donnnarumma on a free in my FM21 save.

Kane never leaves btw stays at spurs til he's 36 then retires.

Ramsdale just went to utd, 58m after collecting the European championship and the world cup with England.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2021
    Diego and Citizen Kane. like this.
  18. Spurf

Spurf Thread Mover
    Forum Moderator

According to some we have a team of rubbish with only about 4 decent players, this is clearly nonsense. This bunch of players are competing at the top end of reputedly the toughest league in the world. During the course of this season we have already beaten Man City, Man United, Chelsea, & Arsenal. Not too bad for a team of rubbish players. The whole league is inconsistent because of the unusual circumstances that teams are playing in. It's always been noticeable how all the most vigorous debate follows a loss. When we win all is quiet. If you take an extreme view on the team you must expect some posters will retaliate with an alternative view.

Let's just attack the argument and not the poster.

19. PowerSpurs

PowerSpurs Well-Known Member

Winks was terrible but at the end of last season when he and Sissoko started nearly every match we got more than two points a game. We've got nowhere near that with Hojbjerg. He looks better going forward than Winks but Siggurdson was free many times and surely that is down to Hojbjerg.

20. Spurf

Spurf Thread Mover
    Forum Moderator

Or the manager?