1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Tottenham Hotspur v Everton

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by PleaseNotPoll, Feb 9, 2021.

1. RRich

RRich Well-Known Member

So.
    Then Lloris, Sanchez, Doherty, Bale, Alli, Bergwijn, Davies, Hart

2. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

I’d have Lloris a bit further down that list but otherwise I’d agree with that.

3. KingHotspur

KingHotspur Well-Known Member

4 defeats in 5 and as usual relying on Kane and Son to carry the team.

"Thanks for that Brian" and Roo like this.
  4. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Second time you’ve made a “you lot” bullshit post today.

Just about everyone enjoyed the game but acknowledged how mistakes cost us.

remembercolinlee likes this.
  5. Citizen Kane.

Citizen Kane. Well-Known Member

Much, much better going forward and against a strong and in-form opposition as well.

It just makes you wonder how good we'd be if only we had a defense.

Sadly by the time we have one, I fear one or two of our main attackers may well have moved on.

6. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Man's ready to take over...
    please log in to view this image

7. Blue and White

Blue and White Well-Known Member

Lloris much further up the list for me.
    At least 3 of the goals tonight were preventable/stoppable.
    The 4th and 5th , he stays on his line instead of coming out to narrow the angle. Can't remember who it was at the weekend, but MOTD highlighted how a GK in a similar position to Lloris tonight closed down the distance once the player found himself through.

Lovearsenalcock likes this.
  8. PowerSpurs

PowerSpurs Well-Known Member

I don't think our defence is as bad as people think. They get no help from the midfield at all. Three of the goals came from mistakes by Hojbjerg and Winks. Siggurdson was left unopposed too often. Surely Hojbjerg should be picking him up but he's nowhere to be seen. He has also committed more fouls than any other player in the PL apparently. But everyone thinks he is great for some reason. We were much more solid and got more points in the summer.

9. Spurf

Spurf Thread Mover
    Forum Moderator

Loris has always had a near post weakness. To be fair he has been good until the last couple of games.

Tilly'sowner likes this.
  10. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

He was definitely poor tonight and he's always had near post weaknesses but in terms of how many poor players are at the club right now, I wouldn't quite have him that high up on the "to sell" list. I thought he had a really good 2020 too and was the best we'd seen of him since pre-2018.

If there was a top keeper available in the summer we could get I'd 100% back the club to bring them in but otherwise I can live with Lloris as No 1 for another season. There's a good few others though that I absolutely can't.

BajanSpur likes this.

11. bigsmithy9

bigsmithy9 Well-Known Member

There's a hole in your bucket dear Jose,dear Jose.....sorry! I mean't defence......and you well know that,mate!!!

12. Blue and White

We should be playing like we did tonight against the likes of Brighton. We would not have conceded so may against them . Score more than the opposition. Throw men forward and don't be scared of conceding.

13. Blue and White

We'll disagree on that.
    Donnarumma?
    Ramsdale?
    Pope?

14. Citizen Kane.

Citizen Kane. Well-Known Member

As I've mentioned before, I also have reservations about Hojbjerg but I think a lot of it boils down to him not being suited to the role we apparently signed him to play. He lacks the positional discipline to be a proper DM, nor for that matter does he give any impression of even wanting to be a DM. When we're on the back foot he often slots in alongside the CBs - which is probably a tactical instruction as he doesn't seem to take up any other defensive position in a fixed or consistent way.

I think we've seen enough from him to say that he is much more similar to Winks than a DM, and also a huge upgrade on the former as he is better on the ball, more confident to show for possession, better at passing, crossing and also doesn't mind a pop from long range.

But he certainly isn't answering the Wanyama-sized hole we've had in the middle of the park for over 3 years. If Lo Celso ever returns to fitness/form, it'll be interesting to see where he and Hojbjerg are deployed as I am starting to see a lot of similarities in their style of play, albeit Lo Celso is the more attacking player.

At the same time, having said all that it is difficult to describe Dier and Sanchez as 'good' defenders when both were essentially frozen out by Poch after being given numerous chances to change his mind and make mistake after mistake. And Toby has been on the decline for a good year now, while Rodon/Tanganga are young and inexperienced. There really isn't much to write home about in the CB department.

15. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

You may wanna rewatch Ramsdale or chat to Sheff Utd fans if you're classing him as a top keeper.

Donnarumma I'd 100% take but most journo's are saying he'll sign a new deal at Milan.

I like Pope but is he truly a top keeper? I'm not so sure. Good/ very good but not quite sure he's a top four/ top six keeper.

16. Billy The Spur

Billy The Spur Well-Known Member

Winks was horrendous when he came on, all he did was give the ball away for the winning goal and have a shot that almost went out for a throw in. I thought we played well going forward and should have scored more, but we gifted Everton most of their goals through individual errors, the Toffees must be wondering how they have scored 5 goals, if we had an error free defence we win that game 2-4. Their penalty was a complete joke and I thought both our penalty shouts looked more likely for a foul on Lamela and a handball on the Kane free kick. As soon as Winks and Sissoko were on the pitch together I said to myself that game over, and it proved to be the case.

Lovearsenalcock likes this.
  17. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Hojbjerg isn't a destroyer like Wanyama but I think he's an effective enough DM. He was fantastic in the first three or so months of the season breaking up opposition attacks - which is where our impressive defensive record has come from - but I feel overplaying him has lowered his performance levels in recent weeks and I think he himself has tried doing too much which has then allowed mistakes to creep in.

He's played 90 mins in every league game, played the full game tonight and has been needlessly brought on in Europa games. He's just had little to no rest and I think in the position he plays in, fatigue will massively show.

18. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

Kane bullying his way to the front of the FK queue every time needs to stop

I’d rather Lamela have had a pop or Son

Dier Hard likes this.
  19. Tobes

Tobes Warden
    Forum Moderator

Sigurdsson - 3 assists and a goal.

Not bad for James understudy.

20. BajanSpur

BajanSpur Well-Known Member

Winks is still here because I think we can't give him away... nobody wants the liability, not even Bath (we usually play rugby) City.

The other players on the list are the same players that took Spurs to a Champion League final, not so long ago.
    Maybe, more consideration should be given to how these players are being managed these days.
    Was Poch better at getting the best out a squad of professionals.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2021