1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Tottenham Hotspur v Crvena Zvezda

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by PleaseNotPoll, Oct 21, 2019.

1. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

While I agree with everything that you've said here, his job was made a lot easier by having Son playing in front of him.
    He murdered their right-back and they had to double up down that side to try to stop him, which still didn't work.
    Our fullbacks have often been given impossible jobs recently and been exposed badly as a result.

2. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

3. Citizen Kane.

Citizen Kane. Well-Known Member

Perfect result and performance going into two horrendously difficult away games. That it came without the 3 most unsettled players on the pitch is absolutely no coincidence and I personally couldn't care less if we don't see Toby, Eriksen or Rose play for Spurs again.

Our defensive shape/tactics up until Dier came on were intriguing, and I'm not 100% I'm reading it correctly...

- In 2016/17, one of the things that made us so difficult to beat was the way that the DM dropped into defense to make a back 3 while the 2 FB's bombed forward to stretch the play. our ability to do this has steadily disintegrated over the past 2 years as our FBs have gone to **** and our DMs have struggled and/or succumbed to injury.
    - I mentioned it before the game, but it may well be that Poch's solution to this problem is already here. By deploying one defensive and one attacking FB, we are able to shift to 3 at the back in offensive transitions while the other FB bombs forward to stretch the play on the other flank.
    - This was happening throughout the first half. When we had possession, Davies would hang back and tuck inside closer to Jan and Dave whilst Aurier pushed forward. The plus was we had enough men back to allow N'Dombele to play a much more advanced role than he ever has done to date. The lingering worry was that Red Star noticed this pretty early on and started doubling-up down Davies' flank, which is where their best chances came from. Son and Alli aren't the best at tracking back but if we are to utilise this system moving forward, whoever starts as AM on our 'defensive FB flank' will need to put in one hell of a shift to track back 50-60 sharpish if we lose possession.
    - The same system can be deployed with a Foyth/Sessegnon combo at FB, the former hanging back to tuck in to a 3 whilst the latter bombs forward. And we ca rotate the two combos at will depending on our opposition.
    - After Dier came on, we reverted to the more familiar system of 16/17 and he dropped into a 3, allowing both FBs to push forward.
    - I personally prefer the latter as it makes it much harder for the opposition to catch us napping down the 'tucked in' flank, as well as giving us width across the entire pitch, but in the meantime (i.e. until Dier rediscovers his best form and/or we sign a proper DM), I am happy with this new look system. It frees Tanguy of most of his defensive responsibilities which, as tonight demonstrated, turns him into a rather tasty player.

4. KingHotspur

KingHotspur Well-Known Member

I think Toby and Rose were rested by Poch for the game at the weekend. Be interesting to see if both return to the starting line up.

5. Citizen Kane.

Citizen Kane. Well-Known Member

I sincerely hope not. We have an extra day's rest and Pool have to travel for their game tomorrow. I'd like to see the bulk of the team tonight start on Sunday, maybe changing 1 or 2 players...

Gazza
    Foyth Dave Jan Davies
    Dier N'Dombele
    Lamela Alli Son
    Kane

Subs: Austin, Toby, Aurier, Sissoko, Winks, Lucas, Lo Celso.

There, no need for Rose and Eriksen to be anywhere near the squad <ok>

6. Roo

Roo Well-Known Member

Good result and performance last night. Don’t wanna be a Debbie downer, as I’m refraining from doing so this season, but we weren’t playing much. Granted, you can only play what’s in front of you, but Liverpool is going to be an entirely different situation at the weekend. Red Star were very poor last night.
    Hopefully, at the very least, we’ll have gained some confidence to take into the next few games.
    COYS

7. Left on the Shelf

Left on the Shelf Well-Known Member

Actually thought that Sonny occasionally left Davies exposed a few times, not tracking his man which left the spare man. Sonny did his running though - in spades - so not too much of a criticism.
    If Ben had an easier game it was because of the paucity of the opposition, but his own energy was a marked improvement on Rose alone, let alone quality on the ball.

vimhawk likes this.
  8. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

One thing I noticed in the second half was Dele dropping back into midfield, so we were playing more of a 433 as we were locking the game down

The thing that stands out about this is Lo Celso is also capable of this - but there's certainly one player who doesn't...

9. humanbeingincroydon

Poch says that Verts had to come off due to a knock

...oh well, Tanganga starts on Sunday then

10. Blue and White

Blue and White Well-Known Member

Was it Gazza that gave him the ''Knock''?

remembercolinlee likes this.

11. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Further evidence of Gazza having a go at the defence:
    EHjymu6WoAEEhxV.jpg

12. bigsmithy9

bigsmithy9 Well-Known Member

I thought Toby and Rose had been resting DURING their games!

13. humanbeingincroydon

Five years ago today...

Five goals in yesterday...

Last edited: Oct 23, 2019
  14. vimhawk

vimhawk Well-Known Member

I thought that too. Not a good omen against the Pool wingbacks!

Left on the Shelf likes this.
  15. NSIS

NSIS Well-Known Member

I read about an interview with Fergie where he was asked how he kept his team so successful over such along period. His succinct reply was “get rid of the ****s” . In other words those who aren’t with you 110% and are not giving 110% are jettisoned and gotten rid of ASAP.

I think Poch could learn from that. You want to leave? You think you can just give 60-70%? - no you ****ing can’t!

16. humanbeingincroydon

That's more like it

please log in to view this image

17. SpursDisciple

SpursDisciple Booking: Mod abuse - overturned on appeal
    Forum Moderator

Yes I enjoyed the amount of XGChain from N'Dombele and Sanchez's Centrality had me on my feet!

18. PowerSpurs

PowerSpurs Well-Known Member

That was exactly what Poch did in his first three seasons. Who do you mean now and how should we have got rid?

19. NSIS

NSIS Well-Known Member

It always was Fergie’s credo. Anybody who crossed him, or he felt was disrupting team spirit was excluded immediately. They became persons non grata and were gotten rid of ASAP. He believed, quite rightly imo, that if they weren’t 100% with the team and the manager then he didn’t want them around.

It’s been clear to me that certain players have just been going through the motions. It seems to have affected the mood of the dressing room. As Poch admitted there’s different agendas.

Lovearsenalcock likes this.
  20. PowerSpurs

PowerSpurs Well-Known Member

Which players?
    It is certainly true that if you have more money you can better afford to force players out.