1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Tottenham Hotspur v Burnley

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by PleaseNotPoll, Aug 25, 2017.

1. The RDBD

The RDBD Well-Known Member

Last edited: Aug 27, 2017
  2. remembercolinlee

remembercolinlee Well-Known Member

Just got home and here are my now calm thoughts.
    Marks out of 10

1) Lloris ... a couple of good saves but some terrible distribution 6/10
    2) Trippier...worst game I have seen him play but he did not receive decent protection in front of him 3/10
    3) Vertongen...played well 8/10
    4) Toby...played well 8/10
    5) Davies...poor but no protection in front of him 4/10
    6) Dele...poor apart from goal. Kept trying the hollywod tricks instead of keeping the ball. Went over too easy on several occassions. Sloppy control and passing 5/10
    7) Son ...As bad as Trippier...first touch awful as was his passing and tracking back 3/10
    8) Dembele...excellent 8/10
    9) Dier... did not do himself justice. Really disappointing 5/10
    10) Kane...poor hold up play and first touch that got worse as the game went on. Should have taken the ball to the corner flag but his sloppy pass set up the counter attack from which they equalised 4/10
    11) Eriksen ... as poor as kane 4/10

Pochettino...left kane on and faild to address the problems on Trippiers side
    4/10

Coys

Lovearsenalcock likes this.
  3. Citizen Kane

Citizen Kane Danny Rosebud

I have to say I'm amazed your lowest score is 4/10. I would give 2 or 3 of them a 0. Maybe a 1 at a push.

4. O.Spurcat

O.Spurcat Well-Known Member

After today, anyone who thinks Trippier and Davies are an improvement on Walker and Rose, needs their head testing.

Having said that, I didn't think we played that badly today, just never had that bit of luck in the penalty area, plus Heaton made a couple of blinding saves. Also felt Dyche used his subs better than Poch.

5. Citizen Kane

<applause>

LockStock likes this.
  6. remembercolinlee

Too much of a risk of a knee jerk over reaction but in my defence I did give Trippier and Son 3/10 each

7. The RDBD

The RDBD Well-Known Member

They did.

There was none of the intensity of the Chelsky game to keep
    Burnley on the hook all game. Then when going 1-0 up and
    twas obvious Dyche was going to play Vardyball, they played
    like they were 10-0 up instead of really trying to kill Burnley off.

8. Citizen Kane

My apologies. Trippier, Eriksen and Kane would've got the 1/10. Son would've got a 4/10 as in his defense he didn't have a pre-season and clearly isn't at full sharpness. He only started because he's currently the only player in the senior squad who can run.

9. bigsmithy9

bigsmithy9 Well-Known Member

So....is their really a Tottenham/Wembley hoodoo or are we yet to start performing..........can't play like this v Real Madrid or they will have to declare at halftime.....
    We've played enough games to get to know each other again.Seems we need a player who curses his teammates and keeps them going!

10. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

too <ok>

11. NSIS

NSIS Well-Known Member

Correct, my mistake..

Diego likes this.
  12. No Kane No Gain

No Kane No Gain Well-Known Member

Totally agree. It was the same as the Newcastle game really, if we'd stuck away another of our chances we'd have had a nice comfortable win.

Pochettino got it all wrong though, we didn't shut up and keep possession at the end, plus bringing on Sissoko and leaving ourselves with no real support for Dembele in the middle was a terrible call. We should have won but that was because of the standard of opposition(no offence to them) not anything Pochettino did today.

We really needed that win. Next game at Wembley is Dortmund. Everton away in the league next too. We've put ourselves under a lot of unnecessary pressure with that late equaliser.

Wish I'd stayed at Carnival, I hate Wembley.

remembercolinlee likes this.
  13. LockStock

LockStock Well-Known Member

It ain't Wembley hoodoo. We just weren't good enough. Had a similar spell of lost focus at the end of games with both Redknapp and AVB. Funilly enough it was AVB who managed to sort this out by making training sessions more intensive towards the end to get the players used to raising their levels of focus towards the end of the match. It's such a common strategy against us, to soak up the attacking pressure all match and then strike late, that I'm surprised Levy and Poch haven't done a little bit more to counter it. Even Alan Pardew had a habit of doing this to us.

Davies and Trippier are at best temporary cover for the full back positions are not at the same level, clearly, of Rose and Walker. Hopefully Aurier and Rose can strike a similar tone when Rose returns.

Other than that Liverpool are giving us a good example of the embarrassment of attacking riches that we should be striving for. This Kane is 'holier than thou' mentality is really annoying. We need some players to challenge our attacking players out of the rut that they are clearly in. I'm not sure how it's acceptable.

We had the best defence last season, yet we still have bought more defenders. Why not do similar in attack?

I agree with your sentiment of a player who curses team mates. We haven't really had that since, dare I say, Gallas.

14. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

We all do it, just thought it was a bad post to make it in given the content :grin:

15. "Thanks for that Brian"

"Thanks for that Brian" Well-Known Member

Back from the game and just about drunk enough to face reading your comments without hurting something.

Whatever speed we had in the team, be it physical or mental is currently completely missing. Today's performance was totally lacking in spark. We dominated possession and territory, mostly because Burnley let us and concentrated on not letting us walk through them and into the penalty area.

We don't move the ball forward anywhere near quickly enough and have extremely limited width. Kane's finishing will resolve itself once August is out. Aurier will improve things but we need better options from the bench than Sissoko and the InVinnible Man. I'm seriously hoping Foyth isn't in Mauricio Pochettino's reckoning of incoming talent as we need 3 first team ready new joiners as I see no use whatsoever for Vinnie, Sissoko, Wimmer And GKN and it's time to go.

Hugo had better stop kicking the ball over Davies' and Trippier's heads or I'm going to burst a ****ing blood vessel

All in all it's a traditional 'Spurs under Pochettino' start to the season. In fact, we've got one more point then our usual 3 draws would have brought us. I wonder what it'll cost us this season, other than what's left of my hair?

16. remembercolinlee

Oh and one other thing...I really hate Wembley...it appears that they spent £600m to build a stadium that has only one purpose which is to kill the the match atmosphere.
    Kind of works when there is 50/50 fan splits like semi finals and cup finals but awful for us.

17. NSIS

NSIS Well-Known Member

Minor spelling mistakes do not constitute lack of intelligence, as I'm sure you're all too aware.

We all do it from time to time..

18. Citizen Kane

I actually thought Sissoko created more in his 20 minute cameo than Eriksen did in almost the entire match. We pummel him most of the time, so credit where it's due: he did extremely well. The lack of support for Dembele was more down to the fact that as the match went on he - quite bizarrely - drifted further and further out to the left flank until he almost looked like he was playing in Jan's position. No idea why he did that but my sneaking suspicion is that **** all was being created down Trippier's flank so he gravitated towards the other flank to see some action.

I am also starting to question Dier's ability as a DM. As much as we complain about the gulf in class between Rose/Walker and Davies/Trippier there is a similar one between him and Wanyama in that position and we have far less of a presence in the middle of the park when the kenyan is out.

I would blame Poch for not being ambitious enough with his substitutions (Dyche's changed the game for them). Eriksen should've been removed at the same time as Son and Janssen brought on to give them something to really think about up front. And I would've hooked Trippier after the first (of four) time(s) he lost his man by dawdling to get back (around the 80th min) and thrown on KWP to put them on the back foot.

19. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Went a to a boozer in Wembley and then Liverpool Street to drown the sorrows.

Utter tripe today, don't think Heaton had to make a save in the first half.

Kane worst player on the pitch by a country mile for me, absolute liability in front of goal. Davies and Tripps weren't great either but if Kane scored just one of his easy chances we'd have got 3 points.

August Harry Kane < Moussa Sissoko.

20. remembercolinlee

My honest opinion is that some did not give the opinion of fighting as a team.
    Dier, Dele and Eriksen in paricular seemed really lacking in determination.
    As poor as others were they at least looked like they were trying.
    From where I was it didn't look like Dele even bothered celebrating his goal!