1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Tottenham Hotspur v Brighton & Hove Albion

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by PleaseNotPoll, Apr 22, 2019.

1. The Huddlefro

The Huddlefro Well-Known Member

Agree with all of this. Atmosphere was good, it even got going in West once or twice. We were trying hard. Brighton fans were in good voice too, fair play to them.

Time wasting is a plague on the game, especially when they’re so blatantly playing for a draw from the start. Ryan was taking nearly half a minute for each goal kick! I can understand teams setting up defensively, and I can understand teams running the clock down if they’re protecting a lead at the end of a game, indeed I endorse that game management in those situations!

But to be at 0-0 early doors and already be wasting time is not great to see. It was worse than the Burnley game at Wembley earlier this season, and that was a joyous moment to see Joe Hart scrambling around like a mad man in front of us to get the game going after Eriksen scored at the end. By all means set up defensive and look to score on the counter, and run the clock down in the last 5 mins if you score, but to just be digging in for the point and barely even leave a man up for the counter all game, and still be wasting time, is disappointing.

2. "Thanks for that Brian"

"Thanks for that Brian" Well-Known Member

Considering that we'd been charged Cat. B prices for a midweek game against a bus parking team, which was being shown on TV, the atmosphere was great. Lots of noise coming from the East side of 'The Wall'. Unfortunately, the empty seats show that the pricing for the game and ticketing shambles needs a re-think. Brighton is a Cat. C game, even on a Saturday afternoon, Daniel.

I had 3 young lads in front of me. They tried to stand throughout. There were empty seats behind me and I asked the dad and daughter behind them if they could see over my head. They could, so I was okay to stand. However, they were encouraged to sit, which they did and proceeded not to make a peep thereafter. I don't get that. All us old gits can sing and sit or stand.

You're spot on about seeing players lifted by the atmosphere. It's a wondrous thing. We need a few new songs and much more Glory, Glory Halleleujah. Great atmosphere in the bars after and at WHL Station and onto the tube at Seven Sisters. A good night....in the end.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
  3. paultheplug

paultheplug Well-Known Member

The time wasting at goal kicks and throw ins will only stop once players get a yellow early on and referees are not afraid to to give a second one if they continue. . If a team use up time by keeping possession fair enough. It is up to the opponents to get the ball from them.

4. deedub93

deedub93 Well-Known Member

I actually decided to blow out the Seven Sisters tube. I got on a bus with Euston on the front on the High Road and stayed on it. The bus driver for some unknown reason decided that the Angel was as far as he was going, so it took one stop on the tube to get to Kings Cross. Once past the Seven Sisters the bus was empty so it was a stress free trip, I might do the same again.

5. The RDBD

The RDBD Well-Known Member

Allegedly 6K down on full capacity.
    Again, how many of these seats are "corporates" paid for but with "no shows" etc ??

There is plenty of scope here for the club working with the THST to ensure
    that every seat is full regardless of the above. As I said elsewhere, one to work
    on this summer.

remembercolinlee likes this.
  6. Blue and White

Blue and White Well-Known Member

Interesting that a few of you are saying there was a good atmosphere.
    From the back of the wall , I found it was a very poor atmosphere . Only a few songs. definitely the worst since returning home.
    AND I HATE SITTING!!!!!!

7. "Thanks for that Brian"

Most of the empty seats were Season Ticket Holders. I went on the OS in the morning to see if there were any tickets for West Ham (there weren't) and there were numerous tickets in every part of the stadium for last night.

Some of the tickets were in rows and being sold by the club (coloured blue) but they were only a small fraction (maybe 5-10%). These appeared last Thursday/Friday, the game allegedly having 'sold out' weeks ago. I reckon they were tickets offered to local residents, tour operators, etc that weren't taken up because it was significantly overpriced. Having seen this and the possibility of getting tickets together with minimum hassle, it will affect my buying MO.

I reckon the overpricing of the ticket encouraged a lot of ST holders to try their luck in paying for an Ajax ticket by using the Ticket Exchange for last night. Unfortunately for them, potential attendees and the club, nobody bought them and we were about 4,000 short of a full-house for a PL game. That wants sorting and fast. Offer tickets at the right price and people will come, if you don't....

8. vimhawk

vimhawk Well-Known Member

I must have missed something because I tried several times to get seats last week as a guest and it showed available to members only. Not sure when the last time I tried was, but I certainly would have bought a couple if I could have.

9. "Thanks for that Brian"

It was always for members but there were lots available. Do you know anyone who is a member who can purchase tickets?

10. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I was surprised at how positive the response was when he came on and I think our position at the time had something to do with it! <laugh>
    I hope that he can get a few more appearances before the end of the season and do himself some good, though.
    I think that the ground would go mental if he scored.

11. Spurf

Spurf Thread Mover
    Forum Moderator

I've heard all the excuses from people saying Brighton couldn't compete with Spurs and if they hadn't played in the manner they did it would nave been 4 - 0.

1st. 10 - 0 or 1 - 0 both are no points.

2nd . Brighton have not scored in 10 or 11 hours! Well it's not really surprising is it if you set up like they did last
    night.

3rd Cardiff also have limited resources but at least they try to score goals.

4th Funny how in the last 4 minutes Brighton suddenly mounted a threat on the Spurs goal.

Playing like that Brighton deserve to be relegated and that is from someone who lived in the Brighton area for 20 years. Pathetic performance I have no patience with it and I enjoyed their dismay. Stupid tactics.

12. The RDBD

The RDBD Well-Known Member

Not really. The supporter hopes are no different than for Llorente.
    A 10+ PL goals per season striker who gives us cover when Kane is injured,
    and other options in general.

"I hope that he can get a few more appearances before the end of the season and do himself some good, though."

The best he can hope for is if a PL top 4 place is wrapped up over the weekend.
    Then if his fitness is up to it, he could be considered for the starting
    XI in the final two PL games.

13. "Thanks for that Brian"

Whilst I hate the defending with 10 men stuff, it is football albeit the most limited, boring football imaginable.

What does my crust in is the time wasting. If I wanted to watch people avoid doing something they're supposed to be doing, I could watch my kids failing to revise for their exams....and it's free of charge.

This anti-football/time wasting is cheating and cheating those paying to watch it. It will be the death of the PL as the most watched in the world, which will be the killing of the goose that lays the golden eggs. The laws are already in place to end it....just do something about it....Please?

14. Citizen Kane.

Citizen Kane. Well-Known Member

It certainly helps to put him in the shop window and remind potential suitors that he is still alive.

15. Citizen Kane.

Citizen Kane. Well-Known Member

Perhaps the saddest part is that it simply doesn't work. It used to, back in the heyday of serial bus drivers like Pulis, Sam and Mourinho. But most teams have had years to work on a plan of action to combat it. Poch made it clear that ours was long range shots. We had 23 of them. The 24th went in.

One thing I will say is that we are steadily getting better at grinding these teams down. And I say that in light of the fact that in the 68 games since our last stalemate, I maintain that overall our team has gone backwards quality wise. But we, like many other teams, are acquiring the nous to suss these teams out.

I understand your frustration and their set up and time wasting was a joke at times last night, but I really don't want them to go down. Well run club and Hughton is one of the most thoroughly decent blokes in football. Sadly though you don't gain or lose points for decency or Mourinho wouldn't have won anything.

Brighton are in panic mode and it is backfiring. It beggars belief that this is the same team that 15 games in to the season sat 10th in the table, 2 points off the top 6 and having been held to a clean sheet by just Liverpool and City. They have totally lost their way as the season has progressed and the stats don't lie. 3 wins from the subsequent 20 is abysmal and to have gone so long without scoring is criminal. Lose to Newcastle and they're down.

16. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

17. Left on the Shelf

Left on the Shelf Well-Known Member

I think there is some genuine affection for Vinnie. He tried his best when he first arrived and I remember the enthusiasm on and off the pitch by fans and players alike when he got that PL goal.
    He looks a lot fitter and you never know, he might prove a godsend over the next 3 PL games - maybe even the CL first leg. :emoticon-0148-yes:

18. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

He's not in the CL squad

19. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Not registered for CL mate.

So it would make somewhat sense to maybe start him over Nando on Saturday to allow Nando to be fresher for Ajax.

D.G.C. and remembercolinlee like this.
  20. Left on the Shelf

Left on the Shelf Well-Known Member

Doh!! <doh>